Coral Vue Hydros

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

Awesome on the frags! I have chipped the tips on the Birdsnest many times, it's really no thing. How I get the frags off the little flat discs is where the glue is, I wedge a flat bladed knife I have under them and then apply pressure, they pop right off, just make sure you have a padded space for them to fall on.

Keep checking your Alk now that you have all the SPS they suck it up fast. ;)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense
I use Red Sea Coral Pro but have been having issues with sky high calcium and really low alk so I switched this time to Oceanic. Not sure yet how the tank will respond. I also got a small bag of the new Fluval salt at my frag swap to try. Claims the same high levels as RSCP but without the "sludge". Haven't tried it yet. Most people use reef crystals or instant ocean. The vendors at the frag swap said they use b-ionic.

... and I still haven't looked into which salt I am going to use once I begin to mix. But, I have been keeping my Ca naturally high (0.26) because of my choices in all these SPS I have. Maybe I should get a small bag of the Red Sea and get to it.

:happy:

Let me know which you prefer. I was going to stay away from Fluval. My other choice was Brightwell, since there mix tends to keep a high salinty.

Awesome on the frags! I have chipped the tips on the Birdsnest many times, it's really no thing. How I get the frags off the little flat discs is where the glue is, I wedge a flat bladed knife I have under them and then apply pressure, they pop right off, just make sure you have a padded space for them to fall on.

Keep checking your Alk now that you have all the SPS they suck it up fast. ;)

Matter of fact, I should dose the multi-vit and do a test. I have not tested in long time. But, I will now with the sticks.

Thank you chic... I will have a tracking number for you shortly ;)

I use Reef Crystals and mix it to 1.025 when I make my own water. Everyone down here uses it and loves it. I believe a few of the guys here Euphy, and Squared changed to the Red Sea salt and their tanks crashed.

IDK I have heard bad bad bad things about the Red Sea salt.

Thanks for the Macro I really appreciate it and so do Tango, Cash and Dobbie. ;)

Oh and I use Brightwell for my additives!

surgicalsense
I use Reef Crystals and mix it to 1.025 when I make my own water. Everyone down here uses it and loves it. I believe a few of the guys here Eyphy, and Squared changed to the Red Sea salt and their tanks crashed.

IDK I have heard bad bad bad things about the Red Sea salt.

Thanks for the Macro I really appreciate it and so do Tango, Cash and Dobbie. ;)

Oh and I use Brightwell for my additives!

Okay .... I will avoid the Red Sea Salt ... I am still very curious of the Brightwell mix.

So do I, I have the Brightwell Korelline something Multi-Vit... it is a wonderful product, by far.

I used the Brightwell salt all along with the NC12. It's great stuff!!!!! I'm now switching to SnT's saltwater though...like I told you. I tested it the other day and the major params came out the same as the Brightwells but with 0 nitrate....interesting. It actually ends up being cheaper than mixing myself.

surgicalsense
I used the Brightwell salt all along with the NC12. It's great stuff!!!!! I'm now switching to SnT's saltwater though...like I told you. I tested it the other day and the major params came out the same as the Brightwells but with 0 nitrate....interesting. It actually ends up being cheaper than mixing myself.

Brightwells will have nitrates after you mix it?

Wasn't their salinity at 24? But, then again that will be perfect for the softies anyways.

Brightwells will have nitrates after you mix it?

Wasn't their salinity at 24? But, then again that will be perfect for the softies anyways.

Yep...for whatever reason, I was registering nitrate in newly mixed water. That's ok though...you want some for the corals and plants.

The salinity is .024.

surgicalsense
Yep...for whatever reason, I was registering nitrate in newly mixed water. That's ok though...you want some for the corals and plants.

The salinity is .024.

Okay, weid and interesting. Yeah the macro will suck that up asap anyways. What was your standard salinity reading after mixing a batch with Brightwell?

Okay, weid and interesting. Yeah the macro will suck that up asap anyways. What was your standard salinity reading after mixing a batch with Brightwell?

I didn't go by what they said because it never came out to 1.026 for me. I had to figure out the combination of water and salt on my own to get the right measurement. Does that make sense? I have a little plastic cup with a black line that I fill the salt up to and add it to my 3 gallons of water. It came out perfect every time :lol:

surgicalsense
I didn't go by what they said because it never came out to 1.026 for me. I had to figure out the combination of water and salt on my own to get the right measurement. Does that make sense? I have a little plastic cup with a black line that I fill the salt up to and add it to my 3 gallons of water. It came out perfect every time :lol:

Yes it does. Sweet, I will have to do this.

L is already making remarks towards me. 'Learn to mix your water" :lol:

:lol: I can't wait.

Just remember you can always add more salt! Or RO to bring the SG down. Just remember what you use and write it down.

I HATE HATE HATE mixing water, why I just get it from OWC and then do my own dosing. ;):P

A is talking a RODI unit in the 1/2 bathroom and a ATO (50 gallon Can) against the other side of the wall from the tank (behind it) and another one for mixed SW with a pump so I can fully automate my WC.

I am looking forward to that day as the wall is solid concrete and he has to really work to get through for the tubing....... :lol:

surgicalsense

Oh I scored 2 Coralline controllers for my tank, I will only need one. So I have read the reviews on these things and it is the usual 50/50.. I love it and I hate it complaints. Either way I will get by with it until I finally get my RKL and it has also been offically decided....

When I upgrade ... be on the look out for the 60g from Ss ;)

Yes, I will be sticking to the AIO layout. I am still not ready to take on a refugium blah-blah or even building one. Remember I am Lazy ... But I might be keeping the NC24 up for another year if that, still pending because of this upcoming move. I guess allow me to move the tank over 3 states and I will let you know what I think then :lol:

Do you mean coralife controllers? The power centers? Where'd you score those?

60g????? omgomgomg

I didn't know you were aiming so high :)

surgicalsense
Do you mean coralife controllers? The power centers? Where'd you score those?

60g????? omgomgomg

I didn't know you were aiming so high :)

:lol: I did spell and name them incorrectly didn't I. Yes, LongPig scored a new set up and he was selling the parts he did not need. So I got the pair for $35 only and this included the shipping. He said they work, I freaken hope so :P

This will still be awhile before I upgrade, Gena :P

Well L knows I can do it and I will ;)

surgicalsense
So.......tell us more about this 60.......even though its in the future.

I do not have any information because I am not sure yet. I heart the RSmax but I do not know.

By then you'll be an expert and won't feel like you need to do the AIO tank ;)

fingerscrossed .... I would hope so.

Spirofucci
I do not have any information because I am not sure yet. I heart the RSmax but I do not know.

fingerscrossed .... I would hope so.

Danyello, I agree with Gena. When, not if, you upgrade, do a seperate componet tank. It would probably be cheaper and you get exactley what you want. LOL, I love my RSM, but when I finally get a sump, every part of the AIO will be modded.

surgicalsense
Danyello, I agree with Gena. When, not if, you upgrade, do a seperate componet tank. It would probably be cheaper and you get exactley what you want. LOL, I love my RSM, but when I finally get a sump, every part of the AIO will be modded.

Yes I know <_< ... I just do not know if I want to deal learning to do a build is all.

Yes I know <_< ... I just do not know if I want to deal learning to do a build is all.

If I did it you can! Not that hard. ;)

surgicalsense
If I did it you can! Not that hard. ;)

I was trying to indirectly imply how lazy I am and I honestly do not want to try :lol::lol:

.... called my bluff on this one ;)

But just think...NO heat issues if you run a topless system!!!!!! You may have an even harder time controlling those temps during the summertime in NM!!!!!! Building your own is the way to go ;) But, yes, AIOs do look clean!

surgicalsense
But just think...NO heat issues if you run a topless system!!!!!! You may have an even harder time controlling those temps during the summertime in NM!!!!!! Building your own is the way to go ;) But, yes, AIOs do look clean!

If I was moving to the southern half of AZ, NV, TX ... well I would be worried :P

No heat issue in NM. Weather is just like California, in the summer. Plus the house will have a constant ambient temp. Besides I am not upgrading anytime soon. I sharing the gallon size that I am going to venture too in my reefing quest. Specially since my NC24 has been a success so far. I will claim glory only after this move :lol: has been conquered.

Archived