Top Shelf Aquatics

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi everybody.

My name is Manolo Ramos, another happy customer of Micro-Reefs LLC.

I just want to show you the initial and present (12 days) setting of my 2g pico tank.

I ordered the advanced pico package with the T5 coralife lamp that Mike has available and it has been great. I am extremely happy with the tank and how cool it looks.

I set it up on February 1st with uncured live rock that Mike got for me and as you can see, there was some residues that came off the rock and got on the acrylic. Some days later I cleaned the tank with the NanoMag included in the kit and now it looks amazingly well.

Few days after I set it I got a water test kit to check the parameters of the tank. This is are some results of the analyses I have frequently done:

Feb 5th:

Nitrite test Around 1. ppm

Nitrate: around 1 ppm

Total Ammonia: 0.0 ppm

sg: 1.022

Feb 8th:

Added a little more sand.

Nitrite test: 0 to 0.1 ppm

Nitrate: 1-2 ppm

Total Ammonia: 0 ppm

pH: 8.4 to 8.5

Total Alkalinity: 3.5 mEq/l

sg:1.22

Feb 10th 2012:

Nitrite test: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0.2-1 ppm

Total Ammonia: 0 ppm

pH: 8.25

Total Alkalinity: 4 mEq/l

sg: 1.023

I have been cycling the tank only with the activated carbon and the foam in the filter and 4 hrs a day of lift, just to enjoy it while I am at home at night. Today, I added the ChemiPure Elite to the filter and replace around 10% of the water after cleaning the filter completely.

Something else that has been growing on the live rock besides a just a little bit of algae are some purple (mainly), some pink and white bud formations in several spots on the live rock. They don't look like coraline growing on the surface.

Well, finally, I want to tank Mike for a great customer service and wonderful products. I couldn't be happier with my pico tank. I know patience is key to this hobby but I can not wait to get my first corals.

Saludos everybody.

Manolo

very nice! i kinda wish i got one of these instead of the picotope. i suggest you cycle withot carbon because it will mask what is going on.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
weeeeelllllll, we are all waiting. it is monday and i believe we were promised some par readings.

Look what walked into Micro-Reefs LLC's life... :o

1zg8h1t.jpg

2pydy6e.jpg

sb0jz9.jpg

26204k1.jpg

So who out there wants a taste of APOGEE first? B)

very nice! i kinda wish i got one of these instead of the picotope. i suggest you cycle withot carbon because it will mask what is going on.

Thanks a lot for your comment. With the parameters that I got 3 days ago I was pretty sure the Ammonia and Nitrate were under control and I decided to add the Chemi Pure elite to see how the parameters would change before I try to add corals and inverts to the tank.

After 24 hrs, Alkalinity decreased from 4 to 3 meq/l and ph decreased from 8.25 to 8.1.

Do you think I should remove the Chemi Pure until I add livestock?

Thanks for your comments.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update: PAR METER

Coralife Aqua Mini T5 6 watt x two 10k and Actinic Fixture over 2 gallon Micro-Reefs pico...

Sensor was placed 5 inches below the surface direct center of tank...

x26hqa.jpg

Here is uMol reading...

smeq2t.jpg

Well, from data 50-80 uMol is for low light polyps and mushrooms. Exactly what the T5 is advertised to perform as!

Also after speaking to my brother which has been running this fixture over his 2 gallon, he has been noticing growth on his mushrooms + acans etc..

Be mindful that the acrylic splash top was not removed or cleaned during testing. I will perform the same test with the top off net time, Rbaby has been asking me to check PAR with and without the acrylic top!

Edited by mikeguerrero

Ours (which looks similar to yours just older with a larger sensor and a 50 foot cable) had documentation that came with it giving a calibration setting (multiplier) that you input depending on whether it using currently being used in air or water. It gets recalibrated every 2 years and those multiplier numbers may change each time it is calibrated. If the multiplier is set for air it can make a pretty big difference in your readings.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Ours (which looks similar to yours just older with a larger sensor and a 50 foot cable) had documentation that came with it giving a calibration setting (multiplier) that you input depending on whether it using currently being used in air or water. It gets recalibrated every 2 years and those multiplier numbers may change each time it is calibrated. If the multiplier is set for air it can make a pretty big difference in your readings.

Mine came with calibration instructions so I will take a look, I thought it was already calibrated. I will call APOGEE and find out if I need to calibrate it for water.

MG

Hello Mike.

Just bothering you a little more.

What procedure do you follow to when you acclimate corals or inverts to put in the 2 g tank? I can see it being a little trickier because of the small volume.

What are you recommendations for the Kent Reef Starte Kit? What dosage do you use?

Thank you as always for your help.

M

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hello Mike.

Just bothering you a little more.

What procedure do you follow to when you acclimate corals or inverts to put in the 2 g tank? I can see it being a little trickier because of the small volume.

What are you recommendations for the Kent Reef Starte Kit? What dosage do you use?

Thank you as always for your help.

M

Corals can be placed into the tank immdiately, just make sure you have them in same temp, I don't drip acclimate them.

However, with inverts you need to drip acclimate them! Roughly 20-25 mins then place them into display tank.

Purchase the smallest corals, with only one head if possible! They will grow and you dont' need them large in the beginning.

Just remember not to place non like corals together as they will fight. Torch corals will sting yumas, rics etc.

Be patient, consider your tank the most precious piece of real estate and you only sell to the highest bidder and still you are greedy and charge more and take more money!

What I'm saying is a true pico, has only the best show pieces in the world, as they don't have space for anything else, no room for non prize pieces.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yeah,

I called APOGEE, they told me the MQ-200 is calibrated for AIR. And he sent me an article that was published in the 70's regarding the inversion effect of these sensors from air to water.

Apparently there is a difference according to the article and it should be calibrated for water.

APOGEE, said it's very small error from Air to Water but that I can calibrate it to water for more concise data readings.

I couldn't find any info online regarding how to calibrate it for water: Can you tell me if there is an easy way to do this?

I wish APOGEE sent it calibrated for water as that's what I'm using it for!

Any help would be greately appreciated.

MG

Lol how do you drip acclimate in pico tanks anyways? After the half hour mark, it probably drained a gallon of water. Lol

I do temperature acclimate corals, fish and inverts. Since I'm working on a bucket sump, maybe I could use that to start drip acclimating livestock.

Right now I have a notch cut in the bucket for a filter sock bracket. So far I plan on the pump at the bottom, heater suction cupped to the side, and I ordered an Avast ATO to use because it is less bulky than the double float switches I'm using. Also couldn't figure out how to mount the float switches without gluing them in, which I don't want to do.

Should I tap a small hole and insert a small valve for drip acclimating and maybe a 1/2" bulkhead and valve a gallon or two down for water changes?

Lol how do you drip acclimate in pico tanks anyways? After the half hour mark, it probably drained a gallon of water. Lol

I do temperature acclimate corals, fish and inverts. Since I'm working on a bucket sump, maybe I could use that to start drip acclimating livestock.

Right now I have a notch cut in the bucket for a filter sock bracket. So far I plan on the pump at the bottom, heater suction cupped to the side, and I ordered an Avast ATO to use because it is less bulky than the double float switches I'm using. Also couldn't figure out how to mount the float switches without gluing them in, which I don't want to do.

Should I tap a small hole and insert a small valve for drip acclimating and maybe a 1/2" bulkhead and valve a gallon or two down for water changes?

Buy the dripper from foster smith

The bucket will only be filled about half way, would the rigid tubing be long enough? I think I'm looking for like an all in one bucket setup. Easy water change with a valve placed far enough down to drain 1-2 gallons, and a small airline port for drip acclimating stuff.

Since I'm going to be using vinyl tubing, I will have the gate valves and such resting on the lid. So removing the lid will be a hassle

Just a reminder that I get the PAR meter tomorrow. Is there any particular light fixtures on my site that anyone is thinking about in terms of PAR?

Coralife Aqualight Mini (T5) please?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update:

I got a chance to measure PAR on the AI Sol on our 25 gallon show tank:

About middle of reef... (No cover top)

n5qzxl.jpg

Top of the reef... (No cover top)

20qxlk8.jpg

Then I test the cold water pico without a cover top... Coralife Aqua mini T5

11i0g06.jpg

At only 3 inches from the top... Corallife Aqua mini T5 bulbs...

ixz39l.jpg

Then I tested 1.6 gallon pico with SPS running Hydra LED... (With cover top)

34i1kl5.jpg

11c9oh0.jpg

abp8d2.jpg

Then I finally read the PAR on the Marineland LED 11 inch (No cover top)

34hawb8.jpg

PAR numbers really hold strong for the Hydra LED running on our 1.6 pico, just amazing PAR for such a cheap price!

Nice, how do you like the Apogee MQ-200? My PAR meter (really old) has been acting up and continuously shows errors so I am thinking about ordering this - have tried to recalibrate to no avail.

For $379 did it come with the sensor or was that additional? If it was additional, which one did you end up with?

Great little setups by the way, but you are missing a certain light in your inventory ;)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Nice, how do you like the Apogee MQ-200? My PAR meter (really old) has been acting up and continuously shows errors so I am thinking about ordering this - have tried to recalibrate to no avail.

For $379 did it come with the sensor or was that additional? If it was additional, which one did you end up with?

Great little setups by the way, but you are missing a certain light in your inventory ;)

Which light would you like me to carry?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Sig :)

Why these? How will this increase my growth at Micro-Reefs LLC? If you can answer me that, I would love to hear you, not to mention all the other thousands of viewers that comb this thread! :P