Pod Your Reef

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Thanks Kat. It was just labelled as a "purple tip acro" at the swap. I love know the names of thing but a lot of people in our local club don't seem to care so a lot of the frags are unknowns.

Sorry not to step on toes but looks more like my johnson's candlelight. You won't know for sure but the frag I got of it looked exactly like that before it became this.

550690_10151250580599029_1143884146_n.jp

Same coral May of last year.

581079_10150929517844029_1987908005_n.jp

My tenuis looks like this

733879_10151478235679029_717491416_n.jpg

Just let it color up a bit, I would almost bet money on the candlelight though, the area around the polyps just doesn't look like the tenuis I have seen. But then again I am not an expert. ;)

Blue Tenuis

IMG_0611Edit_zpsc744593c.jpg

Just for comparison

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...it does look a lot like your candlelight, Randi. This is why I just said unknown. When it grows out it should be easier to tell. At the swap, this one was just labeled "purple tip acro".

Yeah why I said you can't be sure either, acros are acros until they grow and color up unless you SAW the mother colony.

Nice frags though their awesome!

Yeah why I said you can't be sure either, acros are acros until they grow and color up unless you SAW the mother colony.

Nice frags though their awesome!

Yeah, I haven't seen the mother colony so it will be a surprise when it grows out. And yeah, its a really nice frag. :)

B)

Love the color in the tips.

Yeah I do too! And that's even under the crappy light on the frag tank. Imagine how nice its going to look when I get my new LED fixture all set up.

My box of frags from Mark just arrived! I'll post a photo once they're in the tank and the lights turn on for the day. He's too nice and sent me a bunch of frags! Thanks so much, Mark! :D

In other awesome news, my LED kit shipped out today. I'm anxious for it to get here so I can see all these frags under better lighting.

My box of frags from Mark just arrived! I'll post a photo once they're in the tank and the lights turn on for the day. He's too nice and sent me a bunch of frags! Thanks so much, Mark! :D

In other awesome news, my LED kit shipped out today. I'm anxious for it to get here so I can see all these frags under better lighting.

Lucky!!!!

Mark sent me 9 frags!!! omgomgomg Mark, you are way too generous. You've filled up my frag tank! Thanks so much! I've got 8 new SPS frags and a frag of Gena D's! When the lights come on at 2 and the corals color back up I'm going to have fun guessing what the SPS frags are.

The light fixture is coming all the way from Hong Kong so I expect it will take a while to get here. I am so impatient. I want a better light!

Mark sent me 9 frags!!! omgomgomg Mark, you are way too generous. You've filled up my frag tank! Thanks so much! I've got 8 new SPS frags and a frag of Gena D's! When the lights come on at 2 and the corals color back up I'm going to have fun guessing what the SPS frags are.

The light fixture is coming all the way from Hong Kong so I expect it will take a while to get here. I am so impatient. I want a better light!

So awesome!!!! Mark is the BEST!!!! Can't wait to see it all. :D

Thanks Kat. It was just labelled as a "purple tip acro" at the swap. I love know the names of thing but a lot of people in our local club don't seem to care so a lot of the frags are unknowns.

It's going to get a lot more fluffy as it adjusts to your tank. It doesn't like intense light. The tips will stay bluer as it grows but the body pales a bit. The polyps are beige and when it's fluffy it is hard to notice the blue, it just looks like shaggy the dog. :lol:

My baby frag from Dr Mac

IMG_2938.jpg

And as it grows

20130218_194910.jpg

Thanks for the info and photos Kat! Very helpful! :)

So awesome!!!! Mark is the BEST!!!! Can't wait to see it all. :D

Mark is definitely the BEST! I can't believe how much stuff he sent me. I'm going to have to retaliate by sending him a bunch of stuff! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth again. I was really busy this week and I probably will be again this next week. I wanted to at least pop in with an update though. Most of the frags from Mark are doing great! Thanks again Mark!

Also, my kit from aquastyleonline.com came about a week ago and I'm starting the work on it tonight. I probably won't finish the whole thing tonight but we'll see how far I get. The SPS in my frag tank are browning out, so I definitely need to hurry up and get this new fixture on that tank. I've finished plastering the LEDs in place on the heatsink and I'm letting the plaster dry right now. Here's a photo with my helper, Lily.

IMG_0948_zps36790e73.jpg

The next step is to solder all the wiring.

Let there be light!

IMG_0956_zpsc58e2ae9.jpg

I finished wiring the first series of LEDs. This is the white string with one of the magentas. I'll wire the other series tomorrow which will be the blue LEDs with the other magenta. Then I've got to move the shelf brackets that are holding the T5 fixture so that I can suspend the new LED fixture. Hopefully I'll get the light up tomorrow night.

Looks like Lily did a great job on the lights!!!!

Lily reads the instructions and explains it to the human. Lily could not do the assembly herself because of her regrettable lack of thumbs. Cruel evolution! :lol:

Looks like Lily did a great job on the lights!!!!

:lol: I'm glad you gave Lily all the credit!

Lily reads the instructions and explains it to the human. Lily could not do the assembly herself because of her regrettable lack of thumbs. Cruel evolution! :lol:

Yep, you've got that all about right. Lily is the supervisor while I do the actual work. She just tells me when I'm doing it wrong and chews on my spools of wire. :lol:

Man her face is priceless. Like Mommy when do we start! I want to chew! omgomgomg

Such a beautiful Kitty Kat. :wub:

Awesome lights, next you'll talk me through a DIY for myself lol! ;)

Man her face is priceless. Like Mommy when do we start! I want to chew! omgomgomg

Such a beautiful Kitty Kat. :wub:

Awesome lights, next you'll talk me through a DIY for myself lol! ;)

You've pegged Lily's thoughts exactly. She was so entertained the entire time I was working. I just had to guard the soldering iron really closely so she wouldn't burn herself.

Did I tell you guys I got her a bedazzled collar? She needed a new collar and I figured she needed a princess collar since she's so pretty.

And thanks! Honestly, the DIY LEDs are super easy. You managed a stand, plumbing, a sump, and now all this dosing stuff which are way more difficult in my opinion. You could definitely handle a DIY fixture. And I could definitely help walk you through it :)

I am an total ejit when it comes to lighting, and what goes where with the wiring. LMAO :rolleyes:

I can read animals well, not people, her face told the story. ;)

I am an total ejit when it comes to lighting, and what goes where with the wiring. LMAO :rolleyes:

I can read animals well, not people, her face told the story. ;)

I don't do electrical stuff either. You don't actually have to understand it. You just have to understand that the wires go from + to -, + to -, and so on. The LEDs are marked with +'s and -'s so you just link them in the right order and you're good to go. Then the driver has a red wire and a black wire and the instructions say to link the red wire to the + and the black wire to the -. Its that easy :) I promise you could manage.

Yeah Lily definitely makes some cute facial expressions. She also has quite an attitude sometimes so its fun to come up with what she's "thinking".

Oh, fun DIY lights! And cute kitty! I will have to look into DIY LED's eventually. I'm too cheap to buy the expensive, ready-to-use ones! :lol:

Archived