ReefCleaners.org

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

omgomgomg:naughtydance::happydance:

AWESOME!

I am so jelly of the midas I want my new blenny ASAP. I am keeping the fingers crossed for the Midas but will be happy either way.

Your tank looks awesome, I can't believe it has grown in that quickly, TOTM here soon with that baby. fingerscrossed

Thanks Randi! Hopefully they get you a Midas but my starry was just as awesome. Either way you'll get a great fish. I don't know that it's quite TOTM quality. Maybe after you and Mark get TOTM it can be my turn :)
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha with people saying I need MORE growout I doubt it will happen anytime soon I am not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

I will be more then happy to back your tank though! :happy:

I tried removing some fast growing Zoas off a big rock in the display with a scalpel and botched the effort ( :angry: ). I could not scrape under the rock to lift up the mat intact! :( Maybe my rock is too hard (?). It is the "Real Reef" stuff so it may be harder than natural LR. Any suggestions for me?

Great dive pictures, flsvedlund. You look so happy! I lifts my heart to see your big beautiful smile. :happy:

Thanks! You're so sweet! Diving always makes me super happy, hence the smile :)

Randi had good suggestion for the harder rock. My rock was dry rock but its pretty porous and easy to just scrape a bit off. Another idea would be to use bone cutters to snip a chunk out of the rock containing the zoas you're fragging. I know a lot of people do it that way, but I'm not a huge fan since it takes chunks out of your rock. Otherwise maybe just use a flathead screwdriver like a chisel and see if you can get a small layer of rock from under the zoas.

Ha with people saying I need MORE growout I doubt it will happen anytime soon I am not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

I will be more then happy to back your tank though! :happy:

Well I think you and mark did a better job planning your tanks than I did. Next tank I do, I'll be more selective with my coral choices, although I do love my mixed reef I wish I had more space for SPS corals. I do love how grown in my tank is now though. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get TOTM at some point. I'll be backing you and mark :)

AWESOME photos! That swap looks like a blast!!! I need to get myself a macro lens cause those pictures are just awesome.

The club swaps are a lot of fun! This one was the regional swap where non members are also welcome. There's another one on August that's members only, so there are 2 a year.

Also, let me let you in on my secret. The camera I took those photos with is a little canon powershot, not a DSLR with a macro lens. It has decent macro capabilities for a point and shoot, but the way I get those nice macro shots is by putting it in the waterproof case I use for photography when diving. Then I stick the camera down in the tank and get right up next to the coral to get macro shots. It works surprisingly well. I wish I had a DSLR with a macro lens though. Someday when I have extra money :)

Thanks! You're so sweet! Diving always makes me super happy, hence the smile :)

Randi had good suggestion for the harder rock. My rock was dry rock but its pretty porous and easy to just scrape a bit off. Another idea would be to use bone cutters to snip a chunk out of the rock containing the zoas you're fragging. I know a lot of people do it that way, but I'm not a huge fan since it takes chunks out of your rock. Otherwise maybe just use a flathead screwdriver like a chisel and see if you can get a small layer of rock from under the zoas.

Well I think you and mark did a better job planning your tanks than I did. Next tank I do, I'll be more selective with my coral choices, although I do love my mixed reef I wish I had more space for SPS corals. I do love how grown in my tank is now though. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get TOTM at some point. I'll be backing you and mark :)

The club swaps are a lot of fun! This one was the regional swap where non members are also welcome. There's another one on August that's members only, so there are 2 a year.

Also, let me let you in on my secret. The camera I took those photos with is a little canon powershot, not a DSLR with a macro lens. It has decent macro capabilities for a point and shoot, but the way I get those nice macro shots is by putting it in the waterproof case I use for photography when diving. Then I stick the camera down in the tank and get right up next to the coral to get macro shots. It works surprisingly well. I wish I had a DSLR with a macro lens though. Someday when I have extra money :)

Damn! Those photos look better than the ones I took with my expensive ass DSLR camera! Lol. :o :wacko:

In tank news, the azure damsel is still doing well today and so is the dottyback. They fought it out for a bit when I added him to the tank but now they seem to be ignoring each other. Then Allen's damsel unfortunately isn't doing too well. Yesterday I noticed his tail has turned white and looks like its falling apart. I think he must have tail rot or something. The other two fish are leaving him alone so I don't think its from aggression. I'm hoping maybe it will heal up but I'm not too optimistic. Getting new fish is always such a PITA. I feel bad for the little guy. Anyone know how best to treat fin rot?

Also, I ordered the DIY LED kit for the frag tank last night. It should be here in 2 weeks or less from Hong Kong haha.

Bah, I lost the Dotty I wanted to trade into the LFS that way. He must have done something because when I put him in the jail he was fine, but when I pulled him out his tail had disappeared. IDK fish can be very stressful, and I thought SPS would kill me it's the damn fish. <_<

Damn! Those photos look better than the ones I took with my expensive ass DSLR camera! Lol. :o :wacko:

Haha I doubt they look better. You probably just need more practice taking photos of your tank to get all the settings right for really nice photos that will blow mine out of the water. Also, mine only turn out that well when I put the camera in the tank. From outside the tank, it takes decent photos but nothing like a DSLR. Also, I do a bit of photo touch up before I post them because the LEDs are hard to photograph under. They make super bright white areas in lots of the photos, so I have to do some adjusting to the white balance. Getting the hang of settings for aquariums is not easy. My local clubs next meeting is having a guest speaker talk about how to photograph aquariums. I'm excited for that!

Bah, I lost the Dotty I wanted to trade into the LFS that way. He must have done something because when I put him in the jail he was fine, but when I pulled him out his tail had disappeared. IDK fish can be very stressful, and I thought SPS would kill me it's the damn fish. <_<

Ugh! I'm with you. Corals are the easy part, it's the fish that are super touchy. My SPS corals seem to be indestructible but a hardy damsel up and has his tail rot off.

Holy Moley!!!!! Felicia omgomgomg Your tank has exploded with coral greatness!!!! :lol: Seriously....it's gorgeous!!!!!! I agree about TOTM!!!!!

Is that a giant AOG paly colony in the front?

It's so fun to really see your's, Randi's, Mark's tanks really hit that major maturity point. I feel like I've watched them grow up into beautiful adult tanks...wait...I have :lol::happydance:

Holy Moley!!!!! Felicia omgomgomg Your tank has exploded with coral greatness!!!! :lol: Seriously....it's gorgeous!!!!!! I agree about TOTM!!!!!

Is that a giant AOG paly colony in the front?

It's so fun to really see your's, Randi's, Mark's tanks really hit that major maturity point. I feel like I've watched them grow up into beautiful adult tanks...wait...I have :lol::happydance:

Aw shucks :blush: Thanks so much for all the compliments, Gena. You have gotten to watch and I know at least mine wouldn't be where it is now without your advice and support. Unfortunately though, you're reinforcing my sporadic picture taking. I waited so long to put up photos that you guys are all like, "Wow, its so mature!" :lol: I would be super honored if I ever get TOTM for this tank. Considering I didn't really know what I was doing when I started it, I'm super happy with how it looks all filled in a little over a year later. Its just hard having it be full, since you guys all understand the reef bug and wanting to always do more! At least I have the frag tank now to help with that. :)

The giant paly colony is actually Devil's Armor palys. I believe they're a morph of AOG's that someone decided to give a different name. Honestly, I can't tell the difference but there are some little differences between the two. That huge colony is where June, the female clown, lives. Johnny lives next door on the huge alien eye chalice. That works out nicely because that means the clowns are front and center all the time.

Btw, Gena, did you like all the softie shots? I've been obsessed with my SPS corals lately but I thought the softies needed their due. I figured you'd appreciate them. I feel like the left side of my tank is the Gena portion of the tank with all the softies :D

You are so welcome and the praise is all deserved!!!!! and I most certain DID notice the softies :wub: I will forever be in awe of those green fuzzy/hairy mushrooms you have grown!!!!! I wish I had room for some of those in my tank. I will just have to admire them in yours :D

I love that your clowfish hosts that giant chalice as well. As much as I love the softies...I think that chalice is still my favorite thing in your tank!

You are so welcome and the praise is all deserved!!!!! and I most certain DID notice the softies :wub: I will forever be in awe of those green fuzzy/hairy mushrooms you have grown!!!!! I wish I had room for some of those in my tank. I will just have to admire them in yours :D

I love that your clowfish hosts that giant chalice as well. As much as I love the softies...I think that chalice is still my favorite thing in your tank!

Well if you ever decide you have space for some fuzzy mushrooms, they multiply like crazy and I have too many! I would gladly send you a couple if you ever want them.

Yeah, that chalice is definitely the centerpiece of the tank. I'm at a dilema with it though because its shading over the Kedds Red zoas now and they're getting choked out. I don't want to frag the chalice though because I love the nice oval shape with smooth edges. I'm going to make it look funny if I take hunks out of it. My plan at the moment is to frag the remaining Kedds Red zoas and grow them on one of those big frag disks in the frag tank so I still have a colony. Eventually though that chalice is going to start bothering other zoas. I just love it too much to frag it!

Ugh! So the Allen's damsel is dead. His tail rotted, which made him swim poorly and then I think the coral banded got him. I didn't see it happen, he may have just died but the coral banded just looks scary. I'm hearing so many things about them killing fish and I'm getting worried. Also, he's not cute like the cleaner shrimp. His behavior is more like a creepy spider or something. I think maybe I'll try to trade him in for a skunk cleaner shrimp. I wanted something different, but they just have such better personalities.

In better news, the other 2 fish are doing fine. They have little spats, but don't seem like they want to kill each other. Feeding time brought out some agression, but they both backed down and ate on opposite sides of the tank.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Your system has blossomed and you are a true Jedi Master! I still need to turn you to the Dark Side of the force by getting you to go COLD WATER! You need to feel the true power of the Empire! :)

Ugh! So the Allen's damsel is dead. His tail rotted, which made him swim poorly and then I think the coral banded got him. I didn't see it happen, he may have just died but the coral banded just looks scary. I'm hearing so many things about them killing fish and I'm getting worried. Also, he's not cute like the cleaner shrimp. His behavior is more like a creepy spider or something. I think maybe I'll try to trade him in for a skunk cleaner shrimp. I wanted something different, but they just have such better personalities.

In better news, the other 2 fish are doing fine. They have little spats, but don't seem like they want to kill each other. Feeding time brought out some agression, but they both backed down and ate on opposite sides of the tank.

Not like that the little guy is gone, like for the creepy spider comment! LMAO.

GL getting him out, I bet he is going to be a brat.

Sorry about the Damsel.

YEP! I thought the fish were going to be the easy part of this reefing journey, but sadly no. I was spoiled by Skipper, "me hardy" mate. I was lulled into the belief that all fish would be that easy. Hrumph ... if only!

Sorry about the fish loss. :(

I am glad the others are fine. Your frag tank looks great but your display is awesome! :wub:

Well if you ever decide you have space for some fuzzy mushrooms, they multiply like crazy and I have too many! I would gladly send you a couple if you ever want them.

Yeah, that chalice is definitely the centerpiece of the tank. I'm at a dilema with it though because its shading over the Kedds Red zoas now and they're getting choked out. I don't want to frag the chalice though because I love the nice oval shape with smooth edges. I'm going to make it look funny if I take hunks out of it. My plan at the moment is to frag the remaining Kedds Red zoas and grow them on one of those big frag disks in the frag tank so I still have a colony. Eventually though that chalice is going to start bothering other zoas. I just love it too much to frag it!

Cool! I'll let you know :)

I would let the chalice grow! I mean, eventually it would outgrow the tank and you'll HAVE to trim it, but for now I'd relocate the other stuff. It's just sooo pretty :) I'm sure you'll do what is best for your tank though. Afterall, you have the Spiro coined "blue thumb". :D

OMG! Incredible pics!!!!!

LOL, you do have a blue thumb!!!

I'd vote for TOTM in heartbeat!!!!!!!!!

Maria just got my shipment! I'm waiting to see if everthing arrived warm and alive. :scarry::scarry:

In tank news, the azure damsel is still doing well today and so is the dottyback. They fought it out for a bit when I added him to the tank but now they seem to be ignoring each other. Then Allen's damsel unfortunately isn't doing too well. Yesterday I noticed his tail has turned white and looks like its falling apart. I think he must have tail rot or something. The other two fish are leaving him alone so I don't think its from aggression. I'm hoping maybe it will heal up but I'm not too optimistic. Getting new fish is always such a PITA. I feel bad for the little guy. Anyone know how best to treat fin rot?

Also, I ordered the DIY LED kit for the frag tank last night. It should be here in 2 weeks or less from Hong Kong haha.

No kidding on new fish being a PITA!!! Seems that if they make it through their first week, as long as they don't jump out and you take care of your tank, they're stable and healthy and solid from there on out.

Your system has blossomed and you are a true Jedi Master! I still need to turn you to the Dark Side of the force by getting you to go COLD WATER! You need to feel the true power of the Empire! :)

Thanks, Mike! I'd love a coldwater tank but I don't have it in the budget right now since I just spend money I wasn't planning on spending to upgrade the light fixture for the fragtank. Maybe once I sell lots of frags I can buy one to put on my desk at work. Also, I love Star Wars (only the originals of course) :)

Not like that the little guy is gone, like for the creepy spider comment! LMAO.

GL getting him out, I bet he is going to be a brat.

Sorry about the Damsel.

Seriously, I should have watched that thing move more. He's just so freakin' creepy. He constantly looks like he's up to something awful. Skunk cleaners are weird little things, but in a cute way. They're definitely my favorite shrimp, especially since both of mine ride around my my hand while I work in the tank.

YEP! I thought the fish were going to be the easy part of this reefing journey, but sadly no. I was spoiled by Skipper, "me hardy" mate. I was lulled into the belief that all fish would be that easy. Hrumph ... if only!

Sorry about the fish loss. :(

I am glad the others are fine. Your frag tank looks great but your display is awesome! :wub:

Yeah, luckily I knew from keeping freshwater tanks my whole like that getting new fish is hit or miss. I thought since reefing was supposed to be harder that corals would be super easy to kill. Corals are way easier than fish. Thanks for the compliment! :)

Cool! I'll let you know :)

I would let the chalice grow! I mean, eventually it would outgrow the tank and you'll HAVE to trim it, but for now I'd relocate the other stuff. It's just sooo pretty :) I'm sure you'll do what is best for your tank though. Afterall, you have the Spiro coined "blue thumb". :D

Yeah, I'm going to leave it be. Its just too pretty to take chunks out of it. I ended up fragging the Kedds Red zoas to sell to a local reefer last night, so I just ripped the original frag plug they started on off the rocks and moved it slightly to the left out from under the shade of the chalice. It will start encroaching again, but at least I bought a couple months. I'm also backing up all my zoas and palys by growing mini colonies in the frag tank since some of the slower growing ones are getting choked out. My zoa/paly rock is just so full that all the colonies are competing for space. I love the term "blue thumb". I just hope I have even half of your amount of blue thumb abilities :D

OMG! Incredible pics!!!!!

LOL, you do have a blue thumb!!!

I'd vote for TOTM in heartbeat!!!!!!!!!

Maria just got my shipment! I'm waiting to see if everthing arrived warm and alive. :scarry::scarry:

Thank you! :blush: You guys are all too sweet. The sentiment is returned because I would love to see you tank win TOTM soon! Glad to hear Maria's shipment made it safe and sound. I'm sure mine will as well. I'm excited to see what all you send me. This what I'll be doing all tomorrow morning omgomgomg

Man I need to get on this shipping list you guys have going. :P

You are more than welcome to join the trading. We've just been selling or swapping things. I'm finally getting into shipping if you want anything. You've got some gorgeous SPS corals that I would love to have frags of :D

No kidding on new fish being a PITA!!! Seems that if they make it through their first week, as long as they don't jump out and you take care of your tank, they're stable and healthy and solid from there on out.

Yeah, that seems to be how it works. I'm always relieved if they make it through the first night. Then if they make it through a week I assume they're all set. Like you said, you gotta have a super tight fitting lid though. Fish seem to be very suicidal.

I just saw the FTS in the 1st post....WOW!! Your tank is so beautiful! :wub:

Awww, thanks! How are your tanks doing? I feel like I haven't seen you post much lately? I did see you got that new yellow leaf fish though. He's awesome! Makes me want one. :)

Blue Tenuis

IMG_0611Edit_zpsc744593c.jpg

Thanks Kat. It was just labelled as a "purple tip acro" at the swap. I love know the names of thing but a lot of people in our local club don't seem to care so a lot of the frags are unknowns.

Archived