Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Love the videos...great tunes :)

Sorry about the angel...but great news about the halloween hermit :happydance: It's like a roller coaster of emotions in here :D

Is it raining by you????? It is here.

Thanks Gena! We must have similar taste in music.

Yeah I still feel awful for the angel. He was so cute and tiny and I'm not sure what happened, but I'm so glad the Halloween Hermit crab was fine all along. I really wasn't expecting him to go and molt the first night in the tank. Also, I was pretty frustrated since I thought something ate him and he was a $13 hermit crab. That's a lot of money for a hermit crab IMO. He's pretty cool though and since I can't have many fish in the 10 gallon, I needed some unique inverts to entertain me. So far the starfish is the most fun to watch. My stars in the 30 gallon are only active at night or when I feed the tank. This guy spent all day yesterday using the frag shelves as a jungle gym. Maybe he's just getting used to the new tank and then will settle down, but I hope he stays super active.

And yes it is POURING here right now. I ride a scooter (aka moped) to campus everyday and its miserable in the rain. I have rain pants, a rain jacket, gloves, rain boots, and a full face helmet so I'm waterproof from head to toe.

Geez, what a noob. :)

Last night I actually saw my orange knuckled hermit molting. It/she molted while in the shell so I couldn't see much, but I did feel like kind of a creep. Sorta like a peeping Tom watching a girl slip out of some very very tight jeans........

Yep, I'm such a noob. Panicking over an invert molt is definitely in the noob category. Silly me :D

I'd love to see one of my shrimp or crabs molt. I bet its pretty cool to watch. Although your analogy cracks me up. Such a creeper ;)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went to their website :wub: It's exactly the kind of place I would absolutely LOVE!!!! Did you do any tours while there? I know you didn't have much time and probably spent most of that diving ;)

We usually do two vacations during the summer. One big one and one weekend. I think we'll make this our weekend venture. I'll be sure to reserve apt. 9. It looks the nicest :)

Thanks for giving my little Lily girl a hug from me :happy:

So I guess your big trip will be to Texas to see the Rio Grande Twins and Cubepernicus? Flsvedlund, you're invited too! ;)

Those angel are really pretty. Will you try again? Might be hard to add anything with the dottyback in there and already claiming it's territory.

That is a lot of money for a hermit crab. They are so pretty though. I might look into those. I'm really enjoying the hermits I have now.

Stay safe in that rain :)

Those angel are really pretty. Will you try again? Might be hard to add anything with the dottyback in there and already claiming it's territory.

That is a lot of money for a hermit crab. They are so pretty though. I might look into those. I'm really enjoying the hermits I have now.

Stay safe in that rain :)

I'd like to try again but yeah, that is my concern. Normally I wouldn't have added 2 fish to a brand new tank at once but I was worried about the dottyback and the angel. Either one of them would have established territory if added alone. Any other fish I need to get has to be aggressive enough to not get picked on by the dottyback so I'll either get a damsel or 2 or try again with the cherub angel. I'll probably just try to move stuff around right before adding a new fish to mess up the dottyback's territory.

And yeah, they're not cheap hermit crabs. I love hermits though and wanted to try the halloween hermit since he's big and colorful.

And will do!

Oh, and in other news, my cleanup crew for the frag tank shipped from Reef Cleaners today. That means snails should be arriving on Thursday.

Polarcollision

Thanks! I like yours as well! Is that your cat watching your tank?

Yeah, they've both certified the lid sturdy and cat-proof for innovative marine. :-)

Took a peek back in your thread - holy cow! Those are great diving pics!!! Especially the nudibranch. We have something similar up here called an opalescent that eats anemones and I keep thinking of how to keep one happy as a pet.

Yeah, they've both certified the lid sturdy and cat-proof for innovative marine. :-)

Took a peek back in your thread - holy cow! Those are great diving pics!!! Especially the nudibranch. We have something similar up here called an opalescent that eats anemones and I keep thinking of how to keep one happy as a pet.

Gotta love cats! :lol:

Thank you! I absolutely love nudibranchs. I wish I could keep one in my tank but they have such specific food sources in the wild that are basically impossible to sustain in a tank. I guess I'll just stick to photographing them in the wild since I can't have one as a pet. The one I posted photos of is actually an opalescent nudibranch btw. I messed up with the naming. Its Hermissenda crassicornis aka opalescent nudibranch.

And for the Lily fans...

Lily has the perfect seat in the house for watching the new tank. This is what she's been doing while I'm on the computer tonight.

photo5_zpsa9ed089f.jpg

Polarcollision

Gotta love cats! :lol:

Thank you! I absolutely love nudibranchs. I wish I could keep one in my tank but they have such specific food sources in the wild that are basically impossible to sustain in a tank. I guess I'll just stick to photographing them in the wild since I can't have one as a pet. The one I posted photos of is actually an opalescent nudibranch btw. I messed up with the naming. Its Hermissenda crassicornis aka opalescent nudibranch.

And for the Lily fans...

Lily has the perfect seat in the house for watching the new tank. This is what she's been doing while I'm on the computer tonight.

Lily is too cute! There's nothing living in there and she still looks like she's watching TV. :-)

The shaggy mouse nudibranch is laying eggs all over Puget Sound right now. Have to be super careful on the beach not to crush them. We think they eat the aggregating anemones and/or the plumose anemones. Can't collect from washington beaches though, so we're planning a trip to Oregon where we can get them and their food source. Oh, since that pic above is the opalescent, I'm pretty sure they eat tons of stuff. Mainly hydroids, but researchers are keeping them happy on mollusks, eggs, even moon jellies!

Lily is too cute! There's nothing living in there and she still looks like she's watching TV. :-)

The shaggy mouse nudibranch is laying eggs all over Puget Sound right now. Have to be super careful on the beach not to crush them. We think they eat the aggregating anemones and/or the plumose anemones. Can't collect from washington beaches though, so we're planning a trip to Oregon where we can get them and their food source. Oh, since that pic above is the opalescent, I'm pretty sure they eat tons of stuff. Mainly hydroids, but researchers are keeping them happy on mollusks, eggs, even moon jellies!

There are actually a few critter in there now as of this past Saturday. When I took that photo she was actually watching my new red brittle star climb around. She's as fascinated by the starfish as I am.

That's really cool that you can see them even on the beach. Let me know how the collecting trip goes! That's interesting that the opalescent eats so many things. Too bad its a cold water species and I don't have a temperate tank. Some day I'm going to get one though!

My cleanup crew arrived today! I ordered specific snails instead of one of the cleanup crews which worked out well because I actually got the number of snails I wanted (plus a few extras) instead of the normal pile'o'snails John usually sends out. I figured since this tank doesn't have much live rock and is bare bottom that I didn't need hundreds of snails everywhere. I got 3 medium sized nerites, 4 Florida ceriths, and about 20 zigzag periwinkles (tiny little things that I liked better than dwarf ceriths).

Here they are acclimating:

IMG_0250_zpsc60bcb57.jpg

Also, I ordered a few spare shells for my Halloween hermit crab from Reef Cleaners since the hermit is going to need a pretty big shell if he outgrows his current one. I was expecting some boring old snail shells but John sent out some really pretty shells! Now I hope my Halloween hermit upgrades his home soon because he's going to look awesome walking around in one of these.

IMG_0256_zps9ac367b2.jpg

And finally, because I'm obsessed with the new brittle star, check out the color! I didn't edit this photo at all and the lights were out. So this is all natural lighting from my living room window and he's so bright! Such a pretty brittle star. :wub:

IMG_0249_zpscdc28124.jpg

Love that little star! Where did you order it from????

I got him locally actually. I had planned to order one from KP Aquatics at some point, but then I went in the LFS last weekend to pick out fish and shrimp and they had that little gem in one of their tanks. They usually have brittle stars there but they're usually the huge green ones that are notorious for eating fish. They said they'd never gotten one in in that color pattern before and it was much smaller than their usual stock. I seriously lucked out on finding him! He only cost $20 and most brittle stars are nowhere near that colorful.

I really hope he does well in the frag tank. I think I'm going to have to start target feeding him because he doesn't scamper after food the way the ones in my 30 gallon do. He's always out and about though so he should be easy to target feed.

Those are some really nice looking empty shells he sent you!!!!!

I know right?!

Nice! Love the star he is so cute!

:) Btw, your signature makes me really sad now because it has Poe in it.

What happened to your Midas blenny?

Me and Randi both lost our midas blennies recently. They were both eating and active and seemed healthy and then suddenly just died. I actually already replaced mine with a new midas blenny this weekend when I went shopping for the critters for the frag tank.

I ordered my Koralia Nano 425 on Amazon today so that's supposed to show up tomorrow. Gotta love how fast Amazon's shipping is sometimes. I'm going to a frag swap this weekend, so I'll have flow in the new frag tank just in time for the new corals. Whatever I get at the swap this weekend will be my first corals in the new tank. I'm also doing a water change on the frag tank tonight.

Aww sorry to hear that. Do you think he wasn't eating enough? Reason why I'm saying that because my purple firefish just died a few hours ago. My clowns and gramma were always eating the majority of the food I fed them tank

Nice! Love the star he is so cute!

+1 You could name it jungle Jim. :lol:

Aww sorry to hear that. Do you think he wasn't eating enough? Reason why I'm saying that because my purple firefish just died a few hours ago. My clowns and gramma were always eating the majority of the food I fed them tank

Aw, sorry to hear about your firefish, Rafastank727. Fish! Why do they have to die anyway? :tears:

I know right?!

:) Btw, your signature makes me really sad now because it has Poe in it.

It is sad :(

I knwo I can't change it though it's my Homage to him.

Bums me out every time I see it.

Glad you could find another one, I am still looking local, I am not having antyhing shipped though I am now OCD about that since the last critter shipment I got was freezing cold. Local is better IMO.

That would have been my thought except that my midas was the boss of the tank. He was always front and center at feeding time snapping up tons of food. I honestly am baffled as to what happened. Sorry to hear about your firefish. Unfortunately they're pretty shy and not aggressive about getting food. I have 2 firefish in my tank and I tend to just overfeed so that the greedy clowns and angel leave enough behind for the firefish.

+1 You could name it jungle Jim. :lol:

I like the name! I may just have to call him that :lol:

Glad you could find another one, I am still looking local, I am not having antyhing shipped though I am now OCD about that since the last critter shipment I got was freezing cold. Local is better IMO.

I was amazed I found another one so fast. I hadn't been able to find one for months before I got the original one. I went to get the coral banded and dottyback for the frag tank and they had 2 midas blennys in stock so I figured I'd better just get one then. Knowing my luck if I had waited I would have had months where the LFS didn't have any in stock. I agree with you that local is much better for fish. I haven't been brave enough to risk ordering any fish online and I hate paying the extra shipping anyway.

Archived