Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Just some small updates. First off, I decided to drive to a different LFS that I'd never been to yesterday evening. I've just been trying to see what all my options are for SPS corals to fill up that last shelf. I ended up being not that thrilled with the selection of SPS corals this other LFS had, but come to find out they have like every high end zoa and paly variety. I've been trying to get ahold of rastas, fruit loops, etc. but none of the other LFS's has many varieties. I ended up buying 2 polyps of nuclear green palys and one polyp (with 2 tiny babies) of blue hornet zoas. The store owner also threw in a small frag of red montipora digitata for free. More stuff wasn't in my budget for this month, but next month I'll have to get a few more zoas. I'm thinking rastas, fruit loops, Sunny Ds, and 5 color rainbows next. Or maybe blue orgasms. I dunno! Too many to choose from!

Also, I successfully fragged the Golden Goose Acro (as named by Mark :lol:) today. This is going to Gena after it heals up for a few weeks.

IMG_0251Edit.jpg

Ahh! The golden goose lays golden eggs!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Already said it on FB, but the tank is looking wonderful. :)

Yay! You made an appearance! Thanks for the compliment! How's your tank at home doing? Hopefully law school is going ok. I'm sure its stressful, but are you enjoying it?

Amazing tank! What LFS did you go to?

And BTW you should make the pico a planted tank :lol:

Thanks! I go to Atlantis Aquarium in Union City the most, but I also go to Tropical Fish World (El Cerrito), Aquarium Concepts Inc. (Dublin), Aquatic Collections (Hayward), and Diablo Corals (Concord).

The pico is already all cleaned up and put in storage in my closet, so for now I'm just going to focus the time I have on my reef tank. Someday when I have time I'll get the pico out and do something with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update, the clear 1/4" screen netting that I ordered from BRS arrived today so I changed out the dark window screen material for that. The tank is getting so much more light now. Here's a photo of what the new netting looks like in the frame I had made a couple weeks ago.

IMG_0011.jpg

Also, in disappointing news, I'm not getting my neon goby this weekend because the LFS contacted me and said the ORA order they placed had 4 neon gobies in it and all of them arrived at their store dead. :( So no goby for me until the next time they place an ORA order. Oh well, I'm in no rush.

Thanks Mark! The clear netting was definitely the better way to go. And yeah, those poor gobies. Shipping must have been rough to kill all 4 of them in the order. :(

Today was the Bay Area Reefers Breeder and Propagation Workshop!

It was a super fun event that had a speaker on breeding marine fish and then a live demo on how to frag all different kinds of coral. There was also a raffle for some amazing prizes like a custom frag tank, a radion LED fixture, an MP10, and and MP40. I really wanted that MP10, but unfortunately I didn't win the raffle. I still had a lot of fun though. Its great to hang out with a bunch of aquarium people all afternoon and talk about aquarium stuff. Its like N-R but in person, haha. Here a few photos I took of the fragging workshop:

Before the workshop started.

photo1.jpg

Using the band saw to saw an elegance coral into 3 pieces.

photo2.jpg

I did get 2 new corals at the swap. I got my free blue stag coral from the club's "don't break the chain program". Its browned out right now because it wasn't doing well under the lights its been under, but I'm hoping to get it colored up nicely under my LED fixture. All my SPS corals have nice color, so hopefully this one will like my lights. The other coral is a gorgeous deep orange/red yuma from another club member. During the club frag swap, I noticed one of his frags had a sexy shrimp hanging out on it that had obviously hitched a ride without him realizing. I let him know about the shrimp and was happy that he got to take his shrimp back home, so he promised to bring me a yuma as thanks. Here's a quick photo of that yuma:

IMG_0012-1.jpg

In other exciting news, I stopped by the LFS that is right by where the BAR event was held to pick up a heat pack for shipping the acro to Gena and decided to have a look around. Since I didn't get my neon goby today, I figured I'd check and see if that LFS had any. It ends up that they didn't have any neons, but they had 4 midas blennies that had just come in today. After my starry jumped, I looked around for a midas for several months but none of the LFS were getting them in very often and then when they did occasionally get one in it would get sold the same day. I had given up and then when I saw Gena's neons I decided I'd get one of them instead as my final fish and replacement for the starry. Well since I didn't get my neon today, I ended up buying a little midas blenny! I didn't get a photo of him yet because he's been hiding in my frogspawn since adding him to the tank. I'll get some photos as soon as he gets settled in and comes out of hiding. So my tank is now officially full as far as fish go. :)

Ah, so that's what the workshop looks like! Should have swung by Neptunes since it was nearby, would have been able to meet you!

Yep, the workshop was great. Unfortunately, Neptunes isn't close to there. The BAR meetings are in Hayward and its another 30 minute drive (if there's no traffic) down to Neptunes. That means it would be over an hour drive back to Berkeley (with absolutely no traffic, which never happens). Its just too far for me to drive for an LFS when there are 4 that are half the distance to Neptunes.

Awesome update!!!!! Can't wait to see a photo of the midas :)

I too got the clear 1/4" netting. Your top looks like my top :happy:

Is your top all finished now? Glad to know they match :)

The midas is being super shy right now, so it may be a while until I get a decent photo but he seems to be doing well. He's hanging out down in one of the crevices in the rocks at the top of the arch, so I can just barely see the top of his head.

I spent like 4 hours last night working on the tank. I really should stop neglecting it, because then when I do work on it, it takes forever to get it looking nice. Last night I:

1) Scraped all coralline off the glass and then scrubbed algae off the glass with the nanomag

2)Took out both powerheads and scraped them down to try to remove as much of the algae/coralline that was growing all over them

3) Pulled up a bunch of the GSP that was starting to encroach on my SPS ledge

4) Pulled up a bunch of stringy purple/brown hitchhiker macro that was taken over

5) Rearranged a few things and glued down some frags that have been sitting on my frag rack

6) Did a water change

7) Dosed Ca, alk, iodine, and amino acids

8) Wiped down all the salt creep

9) Cleaned the AC70 and replaced the filter media

The tank looks sooo much better now. :D I'll try to get a new FTS today now that its all clean.

Oh, and I shipped out Gena's frag today, so this is my first attempt at shipping coral. I'm really hoping it arrives in good shape :scarry:

Is your top all finished now? Glad to know they match :)

The midas is being super shy right now, so it may be a while until I get a decent photo but he seems to be doing well. He's hanging out down in one of the crevices in the rocks at the top of the arch, so I can just barely see the top of his head.

Yep...the top is finished. It doesn't cover the very front all the way due to the curve on the front. I'm thinking of remaking it and it will just have to hang over the front a bit. At least it will be fully covered that way. Right now, it's not a big gap, but I think enough that my wrasse could get through if it planned it just right...and we all know Murphy's Law :lol:

Yep...the top is finished. It doesn't cover the very front all the way due to the curve on the front. I'm thinking of remaking it and it will just have to hang over the front a bit. At least it will be fully covered that way. Right now, it's not a big gap, but I think enough that my wrasse could get through if it planned it just right...and we all know Murphy's Law :lol:

You know, I saw someone on here with a bowfront aquarium that managed to make a screen lid that matched the bow. He traced the curve onto paper and then laid that out on a sheet of plywood. He then hammered nails partway into the wood at intervals along the curve. Then he took the metal screen frame and pulled it against the nails to bend it to match the curve. It turned out really nice. I wish I remember which thread I saw that on. You could always try doing something like that. And yeah, considering my giant starry blenny managed to make it out a tiny gap, I always worry about it. Fish are just determined to carpet surf if presented the opportunity.

I hope I can do all that to my tank this weekend! Except ship off Gena's frag, lol!!!

I'm sure it will make it!

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your confidence. It seems like a pretty hardy coral and was doing well right after I fragged it, so hopefully it will make it there ok.

And yeah my tank sorely needed all that maintenance, especially since I'm going out of town for 10 days starting Friday. I hope you have some time for your tank this weekend. I'm looking forward to more photos :)

That's interesting...I'll show this to my husband. Maybe he could attempt something like that. It sounds easy enough :happy:

Yeah based on the description of how it was done, it seemed pretty easy. Like I said, it looked really nice on the bow front tank. If I remember what thread it was on, I'll send you the link.

Archived