Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

I know! I went in the LFS and walked over to the SPS colony section and that yellow stood out from a couple feet away. I just had to have it at that point. And I totally thought of you when I saw it. Sorry I stole your coral :) And yeah, I definitely think it was worth the price. Seriously, I'll send you a frag if you want. Since you're also in CA, it can probably be sent USPS priority for only $14.

I would totally take you up on that offer. But, where am I gonna put it????? Help me find a spot!!!!!! Darn it, I don't think I have a good spot for it now :(

Let me look in the morning and see if I can come up with something (lights are out now). After you frag it you need to let it heal for awhile anyways, right? That gives me time to examine my tank and find a proper spot for a piece of that beauty!!!!!!

Oh and....I need to see it in a FTS!!!!! :happy:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would totally take you up on that offer. But, where am I gonna put it????? Help me find a spot!!!!!! Darn it, I don't think I have a good spot for it now :(

Let me look in the morning and see if I can come up with something (lights are out now). After you frag it you need to let it heal for awhile anyways, right? That gives me time to examine my tank and find a proper spot for a piece of that beauty!!!!!!

Oh and....I need to see it in a FTS!!!!! :happy:

I think you could probably find it some space up by the new pink lemonade. The colony is big enough that I can frag you off a nice piece and then let it heal up for you on my frag rack for a while. Just let me know if you have space for it and then I'll go ahead and frag it this weekend when I do my water change and stuff.

And I'll take a new FTS for you in a bit after I eat some dinner :)

I think you could probably find it some space up by the new pink lemonade. The colony is big enough that I can frag you off a nice piece and then let it heal up for you on my frag rack for a while. Just let me know if you have space for it and then I'll go ahead and frag it this weekend when I do my water change and stuff.

And I'll take a new FTS for you in a bit after I eat some dinner :)

Ok!!!!! I think you convinced me. I hope priority mail won't take 2 days. Maybe I should pay the extra for next day. I wonder if it's cheaper in state?

Ok!!!!! I think you convinced me. I hope priority mail won't take 2 days. Maybe I should pay the extra for next day. I wonder if it's cheaper in state?

I'm not sure. I've never looked into it. I can go ask the post office/UPS about the shipping options and try to figure it out. Do you know anyone that's shipped an acro? I just need to figure out the best way to do it since I've never shipped coral before.

I'm not sure. I've never looked into it. I can go ask the post office/UPS about the shipping options and try to figure it out. Do you know anyone that's shipped an acro? I just need to figure out the best way to do it since I've never shipped coral before.

Don't go out of your way! I'm at the PO a couple of times a week, so I'll ask. Or I'll look it up online.

I just had an acro shipped to me, remember? Morgan attaches the coral (on a plug) to a piece of styrofoam (with a rubber band) so it floats upside down in the bag. Then she puts newspaper around the bag for cushioning. Do you need a box? Maybe I could ship you an empty box of hers with the insulation. I could send it first class...super cheap.

Don't go out of your way! I'm at the PO a couple of times a week, so I'll ask. Or I'll look it up online.

I just had an acro shipped to me, remember? Morgan attaches the coral (on a plug) to a piece of styrofoam (with a rubber band) so it floats upside down in the bag. Then she puts newspaper around the bag for cushioning. Do you need a box? Maybe I could ship you an empty box of hers with the insulation. I could send it first class...super cheap.

I actually like the way that one of the local guys packages his frags for shipping. He take a small plastic cup and cuts a circular hole in the bottom for the frag plug to slide into. That then goes down in the bag with the frag inside the cup, so no matter how much it bounces around, the frag never touches the sides. I may try to do it that way and then pack newspaper in the box. I was saving a couple insulated SeaLife inc boxes for potential coral shipping, but I think I threw it out when I cleaned my closet. Let me look just in case I kept one and I'll let you know if I need you to send me one. Do you think I need heat packs? I could go get some from the LFS probably.

I actually like the way that one of the local guys packages his frags for shipping. He take a small plastic cup and cuts a circular hole in the bottom for the frag plug to slide into. That then goes down in the bag with the frag inside the cup, so no matter how much it bounces around, the frag never touches the sides. I may try to do it that way and then pack newspaper in the box. I was saving a couple insulated SeaLife inc boxes for potential coral shipping, but I think I threw it out when I cleaned my closet. Let me look just in case I kept one and I'll let you know if I need you to send me one. Do you think I need heat packs? I could go get some from the LFS probably.

Oh....that way sounds great too. Actually the cup sounds more secure cuz with just the styrofoam it can still bounce at the sides. Not sure on heat packs. We've still been pretty warm down here. In the 80s. If we do decide we need heat packs, I'll pay for that as well.

Oh....that way sounds great too. Actually the cup sounds more secure cuz with just the styrofoam it can still bounce at the sides. Not sure on heat packs. We've still been pretty warm down here. In the 80s. If we do decide we need heat packs, I'll pay for that as well.

I doubt we need heat packs since its been in the 70's up here. Might be a little chilly at night though. Don't worry about the heat packs, they cost like a couple bucks I'm sure. I just have to find out if I can get ahold of some up here. I can post on the Bay Area Reefers site and see if someone can bring me some at the meeting on Oct. 13th.

As requested by Gena, a new FTS including the yellow acro colony.

IMG_0184Edit.jpg

Also some macros of the new coral.

IMG_0199Edit.jpg

IMG_0207Edit.jpg

Seriously, check out that PE. It is one happy coral. I wub it so much :wub:

As requested by Gena, a new FTS including the yellow acro colony.

IMG_0184Edit.jpg

Also some macros of the new coral.

IMG_0199Edit.jpg

IMG_0207Edit.jpg

Seriously, check out that PE. It is one happy coral. I wub it so much :wub:

That is pretty epic. Gena is getting a frag of this, right?

Nice tank!!

That is pretty epic. Gena is getting a frag of this, right?

Nice tank!!

Thanks! I think epic is a good description of the new acro, haha. And yes, I talked gena into taking a frag. We just have to figure out shipping.

Oooh beautiful pics. I really love that acro. Where did you get it!?

Thank you! I took those macros using the waterproof case on my camera again. It came from a store called Aquatic Collections. They don't sell many small frags, mostly just bigger colonies. They have eBay auctions pretty often if you want to check out some of their stuff.

It looks amazing!!!!! Your tank is so full now!!!!! LOVE it!!!! Nice sig change too :happy:

Thank you Gena. And my tank was full before, I just managed to cram a few extra things in by adding the shelves. I'm glad you like the new sig. That macro shot turned out too well to not make a new sig out of it.

Thank you Gena. And my tank was full before, I just managed to cram a few extra things in by adding the shelves. I'm glad you like the new sig. That macro shot turned out too well to not make a new sig out of it.

You are welcome....and when I say full, I don't mean just a bunch of coral jammed in there (anyone can do that). You have nice healthy big colonies to make it full!!!!!! It really looks fantastic!!!!

:blush: Aw, thanks Gena. That was sweet of you to say. I did cheat a bit though by buying a full grown colony. I can take credit for the sour apple birdsnest and the Bali slimer though.
:blush: Aw, thanks Gena. That was sweet of you to say. I did cheat a bit though by buying a full grown colony. I can take credit for the sour apple birdsnest and the Bali slimer though.

And the palys, zoas, frogspawn, chalice, etc., etc., etc., ;)

Haha, ok true. Seriously, those 3 you listed are trying to take over my tank. The chalice is going to be an issue soon but I'd hate to frag it since it's so pretty and nicely shaped. Now that my tank is full, my goal is to get it to look even half as natural and effortless as your tanks. :)

Just a small update on my pico tank...

So I realized I haven't updated you guys on what's going on with the pico tank I set up with the intention of keeping dwarf seahorses. After starting that tank I got super busy with school and I'm realizing that I'm in that part of my PhD program where I'm not going to have quite as much time to work on my tanks. Since dwarf seahorse have to be fed live baby brine multiple times a day, I realized that I was just not going to have the time to commit to brine shrimp hatching and the seahorse feeding that would be needed to keep that tank healthy. I thought about keeping the little pico and just making it another reef instead of a seahorse tank, but since picos are a lot more work and need more attention than my bigger tank, I decided to just focus on my one tank. The pico equipment is currently in storage in my closet until some point when I have enough time to set it back up and turn it into a really nice pico reef or something else cool. The macros I bought for that tank are currently in the back corner of my 30 gallon tank serving as the breeding ground for my serpent stars. There are a ton of little baby starfish living in the blue octode macro. :)

OMG! What a score on that golden acro!!!!! It's beautiful!!! .......and looks great on the designer shelf!!

I'm suprised Gena wasn't knocking on your door the next day begging for a frag!!!

I pretty much forced a frag on her before she had time to beg haha!

I'm glad you like it Mark! Thanks!

Yep, that's no yellow sps, that's a Golden Goose Acro!!!!!!

Yep, that's no yellow sps, that's a Golden Goose Acro!!!!!!

I was thinking it needed a name since it's too awesome to just call it a yellow acro. I like that one :)

Just some small updates. First off, I decided to drive to a different LFS that I'd never been to yesterday evening. I've just been trying to see what all my options are for SPS corals to fill up that last shelf. I ended up being not that thrilled with the selection of SPS corals this other LFS had, but come to find out they have like every high end zoa and paly variety. I've been trying to get ahold of rastas, fruit loops, etc. but none of the other LFS's has many varieties. I ended up buying 2 polyps of nuclear green palys and one polyp (with 2 tiny babies) of blue hornet zoas. The store owner also threw in a small frag of red montipora digitata for free. More stuff wasn't in my budget for this month, but next month I'll have to get a few more zoas. I'm thinking rastas, fruit loops, Sunny Ds, and 5 color rainbows next. Or maybe blue orgasms. I dunno! Too many to choose from!

Also, I successfully fragged the Golden Goose Acro (as named by Mark :lol:) today. This is going to Gena after it heals up for a few weeks.

IMG_0251Edit.jpg

Archived