Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!!!! Tons of growth!!!!!!! Everything looks amazing!!!! I think my favorite things are (and I hope I got the name right) green bali slimer and the giant chalice. I absolutely love the looks of a big chalice in a reef tank. They are sooo cool.

Lily looks like she's about to attack in that pre-sneeze shot. And the zombie starfish is hilarious looking...in a sad sorry for him sort of way :lol:

I'm about falling asleep here so I will go over the pictures again tomorrow and look for the video tomorrow as well. Awesome update tonight!!!!!! :happy:

WOW!!!!! Tons of growth!!!!!!! Everything looks amazing!!!! I think my favorite things are (and I hope I got the name right) green bali slimer and the giant chalice. I absolutely love the looks of a big chalice in a reef tank. They are sooo cool.

Lily looks like she's about to attack in that pre-sneeze shot. And the zombie starfish is hilarious looking...in a sad sorry for him sort of way :lol:

I'm about falling asleep here so I will go over the pictures again tomorrow and look for the video tomorrow as well. Awesome update tonight!!!!!! :happy:

Thanks, Gena! Those are two of my favorite corals as well. I've had that chalice for almost a full year now and its gotten huge! I should probably frag it soon, but I'm scared to tear it up.

That picture of Lily looks ridiculous. She sneezed all over my camera right after that, haha! And yeah, that starfish is so pathetic. He zooms all around the tank glass though, so he seems to do fine as just a leg. It weirds me out so much though.

Have a good night! The video is slowly uploading to YouTube, so it'll be up in a little while.

nice update, thats some good looking corals

Thanks! :D

LOVED that video!!!!!! Your firefish :wub: I forgot you had that pair. When you aren't busy, you must be planted in front of that tank...I know I would be. There's so much to watch :) It looks fantastic!!!!!

During the video I heard a cat bell and thought it was my neighbor's cat (wears a bell) outside my window. I paused the video to look outside. Then I realized it was coming from the computer (Lily) :lol:

I'm watching it again. I really really love that bali slimer!!!!!!! Is it a hard coral to care for? Are you having to dose your tank or are water changes enough for now????

edit: Lily's cat bell just set my dog off barking!!!! She thinks it's the neighbor's cat :lol:

Great video, and beautiful tank!

I'm watching it again. I really really love that bali slimer!!!!!!! Is it a hard coral to care for? Are you having to dose your tank or are water changes enough for now????

Slimers are very hardy stony corals.

LOVED that video!!!!!! Your firefish :wub: I forgot you had that pair. When you aren't busy, you must be planted in front of that tank...I know I would be. There's so much to watch :) It looks fantastic!!!!!

During the video I heard a cat bell and thought it was my neighbor's cat (wears a bell) outside my window. I paused the video to look outside. Then I realized it was coming from the computer (Lily) :lol:

edit: Lily's cat bell just set my dog off barking!!!! She thinks it's the neighbor's cat :lol:

Yeah, I definitely have a lot of different critters in my tank to watch. At feeding time everything goes nuts, so that's the best time to see everything.

And yep, that cat bell was Lily. At one point while I was recording, she started swatting at one of the tripod legs. I also had one video that didn't turn out because Lily jumped right up in front of the camera and blocked the whole view of the tank, haha! She needs to be the center of attention at all times. That's too funny that your dog started barking.

The Bali Slimer is super easy to care for in my experience. Its grown like crazy since I got it in February and I honestly haven't been keeping up with my water changes or dosing as much as I should. I do a water change once every 2 weeks to once a month (depending on how busy I am) and then I dose a bit of BIonic 2 part Calcium and Alk when I do a water change. I also add some coral amino acids when I change the water.

I could send you a frag since I need to frag it soon anyway. Although since its an SPS, I should probably overnight it, and since its usually such an inexpensive SPS coral it may be more cost effective to just grab one at Vivid. Let me know if you want me to try sending you a frag though. Oh, and if you do ok with birdsnests, then you'll have no issue with the Bali Slimer.

Great video, and beautiful tank!

Thank you! :D

I think its time for a growth comparison. Here are photos of the Bali Green Slimer and the Sour Apple Birdsnest frags taken when I got them on 2/2/2012.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Here are those two corals now.

IMG_1941Edit.jpg

Also, here's the ATL Red Polyp Undata when I picked it up from the LFS on 3/1/12.

432246_10150617927477221_125903282220_8707398_1330901567_n-1.jpg

Here it is now.

IMG_1909Edit.jpg

Such awesome growth!!!! Are you still using the same system for water changes? Or did you buy yourself an RODI maker? I ended up buying a system. It's so nice not having to run out for water!!!!!!

I would love a frag of the slimer, but I'm pretty set on not doing any SPS right now. Thanks for the offer though!!!!

Oh, and your scoly has really made a comeback!!!! Wasn't it just a slice when you got it???

Such awesome growth!!!! Are you still using the same system for water changes? Or did you buy yourself an RODI maker? I ended up buying a system. It's so nice not having to run out for water!!!!!!

I would love a frag of the slimer, but I'm pretty set on not doing any SPS right now. Thanks for the offer though!!!!

Oh, and your scoly has really made a comeback!!!! Wasn't it just a slice when you got it???

Sooo...I hate to admit my extreme laziness with the tank recently...haha! I'm still just using tap water for my water changes without a single issue so far. Our local water processing company sends out a summary of all the chemicals/minerals/etc. in the water every year and I just got one. Honestly, our tap water is pretty darn good here in Berkeley so I'm in no rush to get a RODI unit (I honestly don't have room for one right now). Which RODI unit did you end up getting? What was the price if you don't mind me asking?

Also, when I'm busy, water changes tend to happen somewhere between every 2 weeks and a month. And I'm not really dosing very regularly, so I was amazed at the SPS growth. I guess neglecting it makes my corals happy :huh:

I'm fragging the Slimer soon anyway, so if you change your mind just let me know and I can look into sending you one. Its known to be one of the easiest SPS corals to keep (even easier than birdsnests) so I'm sure it would do fine in your tank. I love the softies and macros though too, so I understand you sticking to those :)

And yeah the scoly was a quarter of a scoly when they fragged it. When I bought it, it was grown back to half a scoly. Now its a full scoly, but it has been for quite a while actually. It grew back really fast. Now its just getting bigger. Its just on such an oddly shaped rock since half of it kind of folds over the edge, so there's a bend in the middle. I like it though. Its unique :)

:lol: Your RODI talk made me realize I'm making water right now. I have a bad habit of overflowing the bucket!!!!! I jumped out of my chair just now to check on it. It was ok :)

I got their economy one. It's BRS 4 stage Value Plus. It's listed for $169.99. I guess that's what I paid. I thought it was less actually, but that's probably right.

I remembered you were using tap water. Sounds like it's really good water!!!!!!! If it's working for you, why spend the money for something you don't really need!!!!! It's been over a year hasn't it? I'd think a problem would have showed up by now if it was going to.

:lol: Your RODI talk made me realize I'm making water right now. I have a bad habit of overflowing the bucket!!!!! I jumped out of my chair just now to check on it. It was ok :)

I got their economy one. It's BRS 4 stage Value Plus. It's listed for $169.99. I guess that's what I paid. I thought it was less actually, but that's probably right.

I remembered you were using tap water. Sounds like it's really good water!!!!!!! If it's working for you, why spend the money for something you don't really need!!!!! It's been over a year hasn't it? I'd think a problem would have showed up by now if it was going to.

Glad I reminded you before it overflowed! I'd do the same thing if I left something like that running.

That sounds like a pretty good price, so I may get one eventually, but since the tap water here is good, I'm in no hurry. Everyone kept warning me that stuff would build up overtime and I'd have problems down the road, but I've been using nothing but tap water treated with dechlorinator for just over a year and I don't even get nuisance algae anymore so I guess its ok. I have a friend that had a reef tank in Berkeley for years and he only ever used tap water with no problems since the water quality here is really good. I don't have an LFS close enough to my house to want to drive there for water all the time.

I've been using distilled water from our grocery store for a long time. My algae problems all come from me dumping a tablespoon worth of food in the tank everyday for just 3 fish... Well back to 2 now. My rocks are finally starting to grow some coralline though. Must be all my dosing.

How large are your water changes, like a couple gallons? I was just wondering what size canister that you have that stores all the RODI water since my girlfriend has a system to set up but needs to have enough for either 20g or 40 water changes.

WOW and Holy moley! What growth and such purdy pieces! .........and of course Lily is still so cute!

I'm bummed, I can't see you tube at work! I'll have to check it out when I get home!

How large are your water changes, like a couple gallons? I was just wondering what size canister that you have that stores all the RODI water since my girlfriend has a system to set up but needs to have enough for either 20g or 40 water changes.

Gena's tank is only 28 gallons total, so I'm guessing she only goes a couple gallon water changes. My guess is she probably just uses a 5 gallon bucket with her RODI unit.

WOW and Holy moley! What growth and such purdy pieces! .........and of course Lily is still so cute!

I'm bummed, I can't see you tube at work! I'll have to check it out when I get home!

Thanks! I'll tell Lily that she got a compliment :lol:

That's disappointing that your work blocks Youtube, but I guess that makes sense. You'll just have something to look forward to when you get home :)

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I planned to add music but it was getting late when I uploaded it so I decided not to bother. Lily does a pretty good job providing sounds effects anyway :lol: And yeah, the starfish are super entertaining at feeding time. I never expected them to be so active but they're one of my favorite things in the tank to watch.

Gena's tank is only 28 gallons total, so I'm guessing she only goes a couple gallon water changes. My guess is she probably just uses a 5 gallon bucket with her RODI unit.

I think he was asking you, but accidently quoted me. At any rate, I do 5 gallons on my 28g each week. And I use one of those common LFS 5 gallon jugs :D

Has it been really hot up north? I can't believe this heat streak we've been having. Next two days it's in the 100s and today was nearly there. Fall????? Where are you?????

I think he was asking you, but accidently quoted me. At any rate, I do 5 gallons on my 28g each week. And I use one of those common LFS 5 gallon jugs :D

Has it been really hot up north? I can't believe this heat streak we've been having. Next two days it's in the 100s and today was nearly there. Fall????? Where are you?????

Ah yeah, I was a bit confused there. I do about 3-4 gallon water changes using my 4 gallon buckets from Target. :)

Its been kind of warm here, like low to mid 70's which is pretty warm for the bay area. We have super nice weather which is why I love it here :D

Ah yeah, I was a bit confused there. I do about 3-4 gallon water changes using my 4 gallon buckets from Target. :)

Its been kind of warm here, like low to mid 70's which is pretty warm for the bay area. We have super nice weather which is why I love it here :D

Yeah, rub it in :lol: I'm usually a warm/humid loving person, but I've had enough!!!!!!

So, what are your plans for the tank now? Are you at the "just letting it grow" stage now, or do you have things you still want to add?

Yeah, rub it in :lol: I'm usually a warm/humid loving person, but I've had enough!!!!!!

So, what are your plans for the tank now? Are you at the "just letting it grow" stage now, or do you have things you still want to add?

:lol: Sorry to rub it in but I just love our weather. I am sooooo over the heat after living in Florida for most of my life. I'm just surprised you're just now getting sick of it. I love fall, but we don't really have seasons up here so the temperature won't change much. The trees will just start turning pretty colors.

Ummm, plans...yeah, I don't really have any :lol: My tank is basically completely full so I shouldn't buy anything else. All my fish seem happy and healthy and none of them pick on each other so I'd hate to upset the balance by adding another fish. I'm actually just really content with how everything looks right now, so the plan I guess is to just sit back and enjoy the tank. I'll let things keep growing out and frag them to sell and trade.

Ok, so I have a question for you guys...

One of the sponsors for BAR (Bay Area Reefers) is doing special orders for fish from ORA for the next event and I'm tempted to get them to get me a neon goby (or maybe a pair of them). I kept meaning to replace the starry blenny who jumped and never got around to it, and neon gobies are so tiny they probably wouldn't effect my bioload much.

My question is will neon gobies get along with my current fish? I've got ocellaris clowns, a coral beauty angelfish, firefish, and a yellow watchman goby. I don't know much about neon gobies so any advice would be awesome :D

Ok, so I have a question for you guys...

One of the sponsors for BAR (Bay Area Reefers) is doing special orders for fish from ORA for the next event and I'm tempted to get them to get me a neon goby (or maybe a pair of them). I kept meaning to replace the starry blenny who jumped and never got around to it, and neon gobies are so tiny they probably wouldn't effect my bioload much.

My question is will neon gobies get along with my current fish? I've got ocellaris clowns, a coral beauty angelfish, firefish, and a yellow watchman goby. I don't know much about neon gobies so any advice would be awesome :D

I already answered you in my thread, but definitely yes.....they'll get along great :) Yay...we'll be neon goby twins :lol: Don't just get one...get two!!!!

Archived