Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

I'll bet you'll get better light on the corals and it might be cooler.

It actually seems like it blocked a bit more of the light than the glass lid did so I ended up turning the LEDs up a bit, but that was no problem since they weren't at 100% power. And honestly heat hasn't been an issue at all since the LEDs don't produce much heat and they're a foot and a half off the top of the tank. But, I'm sure I'll get much better gas exchange this way and honestly it just looks much more sleek than the not custom glass lid and I'm so excited to not have to clean water deposits, salt creep, and cat hair off of glass all the time.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, more evaporation is a good point. I'll have to pay attention since I usually only top off like once every 5 days or so. I bet it will need topping off more often now.

I totally understand. My tank constant has cat hair floating around in it no matter how hard I try to keep it out. I just love when I'm trying to take nice macro pictures of a coral and realize there's a piece of cat hair stuck to it. <_<

Woohoo! I just found out I get a new SPS frag for free! Time to start glueing rocks to the back wall for more space.

BAR (the local club) has a program called DBTC (don't break the chain) where you can list frags for free. People who have well established tanks and are members can claim the frags and then once their frag grows out, they have to give away 2 frags for free before they can start selling any. Also, if the original owner of the colony has a tank crash or something and that coral dies, someone who has a frag is expected to give that person a frag back to reestablish their colony. Its a pretty cool idea really. I finally got dibs quickly enough to get a new SPS frag that someone offered up. Its a blue tipped stag with a green/tan body. Here's a photo of the mother colony:

IMG_3606.jpg

I'm picking it up at the club's breeder and propagation workshop in October when I get my new neon goby. Now I'm super excited for that meeting! Can't beat a new fish, free coral, and live demonstrations on how to frag all kinds of different coral. :D

One neon is better than none :)

Awesome job with the screen top. I just showed it to my husband. We haven't built mine yet. Unfortunately my tank has rounded corners so it's going to be a bit more tricky. I think you did an amazing job with yours. Too bad Joel isn't still around here. He could be put to shame by your mad skillz. I say that with love (just in case Joel is lurking) :lol:

And your reef club sounds soooo awesome!!!!!

One neon is better than none :)

Yep! Honestly, its probably better that I can't get a pair since there are already 6 fish in my 30 gallon. I think one more fish is probably the max for stocking.

Awesome job with the screen top. I just showed it to my husband. We haven't built mine yet. Unfortunately my tank has rounded corners so it's going to be a bit more tricky. I think you did an amazing job with yours. Too bad Joel isn't still around here. He could be put to shame by your mad skillz. I say that with love (just in case Joel is lurking) :lol:

Thanks! Yeah the rounded corners make things rough. I'm sure you guys can figure something out though. Oh poor Joel and his cardboard dojo :lol:

And your reef club sounds soooo awesome!!!!!

It is! I'm really glad I finally joined and started going to events. :) Do you not have a decent reef club down in LA?

Oh poor Joel and his cardboard dojo :lol:

It is! I'm really glad I finally joined and started going to events. :) Do you not have a decent reef club down in LA?

:lol: Cardboard dojo. Oh, how I miss that guy!!!!!

I'm not sure!!!! I've been lazy about looking into the reef club.

I was lazy about it too but then I finally joined and I'm glad I did. Maybe you should check out the ones around you.

And yeah, I miss Joel hanging out on N-R. I'd like to hear how his tank is doing.

I thought that all this time Joel was living on your couch and eating Bon Bon's all day! After all, you guys were gonna get married! :)

Seriously, I miss that guy. :(

I thought that all this time Joel was living on your couch and eating Bon Bon's all day! After all, you guys were gonna get married! :)

:lol: Nope, Joel's not allowed near my place since he always threatens to steal, Lily. Any anyways, if were going to get married do you really think he'd be living on the couch? :P

Seriously, I miss that guy. :(

Yep, I miss my N-R fiance. I understand being busy with school though. Hey, at least you guys got me back after my extended absence though :D

Looks like a Scripps stag to me.

I just google Scripps stag, and that is what it looks like. Thanks for the info! I hate getting coral and not knowing what it is. I like keeping track of exactly what types I have. We'll have to see what the frag looks like when I get it in a couple weeks. :)

Guess what...

I have more SPS space!

I went to the LFS today and picked up a couple pieces of dry rock for a grand total of 99 cents. They had some nice small shelf like pieces so that worked out perfect and I didn't have to do much breaking or chiseling. I glued the pieces to the back wall of the tank to make 3 new SPS shelves. Thanks to Joe Dirt for the idea and explaining to me how he did it. So far, my 3 shelves are holding in place but I'm sure it will take about 24 hours for the epoxy to fully cure and then they should be really cemented in place. Here's a photo of the result.

IMG_0007Edit_zpsb4e9abcc.jpg

Wicked! Good thing I just made more sps frags the other night. :P

Is everything you have right now on your site? If not can you e-mail me some of the good SPS frags you have right now? I'm going to take my time picking out exactly what I want since these shelves will be the last of the SPS space in the tank, but I'd love to know what you have :D

Thanks! And yep, I'll be getting some new frags eventually. I want to take my time picking out at least one decent sized colony for one shelf and then maybe 2 or three nice smaller frags for the other shelf. I already used up one shelf because I moved the sour apple birdsnest up onto the middle shelf. The slimer and birdsnest were warring it out over space and they were shading the pink lemonade, efflo, and stylophora. Now that the sour apple birdsnest has its own shelf, the other little frags should have enough light and grow out space.

Hmmm...I realized I have space for one more shelf if I take some of the xenia off the back wall. I also have 3 extra shelf rocks since I bought 6 total to have plenty of variety once I started trying to lay them out on the back wall. I'm not going to add another one now, but if at some point I'm itching for one or two more corals I can add one more spot :) Oh, the SPS addiction.

My cleaner shrimp seem to like the new shelves. They keep hanging upside down from the bottoms of them.

Oh and Gena, I meant to snap a photo of my little pink lemonade for you tonight, but I pissed it off moving everything around. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Designer shelves!!! Those are gonna look great with some nice corals on them! I agree that you should take your time and get exactly what you want to go there.

Designer shelves!!! Those are gonna look great with some nice corals on them! I agree that you should take your time and get exactly what you want to go there.

Yeah, I really like how they turned out. I was worried they might make it look cluttered, but I think they just added some nice depth to the tank. I'm definitely going to be picky about buying some nice SPS corals. I'm not sure what colors to aim for yet. I'll have to figure out what colors I don't have enough of yet in the tank :)

Playing catch up. Cool zombie starfish leg. Very nice tank!

Thanks! :)

And yeah, the zombie starfish is kind of cool. He was much cooler as a full starfish, but at least he's still alive. I really wonder what happened to make him become 1 leg. Also, the rate at which he's growing back is sooo slow. I may have a full starfish again in 5 years :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to tell you guys that the rock shelves were all still attached when I left for lab this morning, so they held up over night. I guess I got them cemented in place good enough. I was a bit worried about them plummeting off the wall during the night.

Oh and Gena, I meant to snap a photo of my little pink lemonade for you tonight, but I pissed it off moving everything around. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Tonight works for me :) Do a FTS too, so we can see how the new shelves look as a whole!!!!!!

:lol: Will do!

I just got home from lab and I'm going to eat dinner and then watch the new episode of Bones. Afterwards I'll get a few photos of the pink lemonade, the shelves, and a new FTS. I was planning on taking some photos of the shelves tonight anyway since I ended up moving the sour apple birdsnest colony onto one of them.

Archived