SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Ok, time for some photos of the new midas blenny. He spent the first couple days just hiding down in the rocks, but today he's been out swimming around. He gets spooked and dives back into the rocks if I get close to the tank, so I had to take the photos from the other side of the room using the 14x optical zoom capability of my camera :lol:

IMG_0045Edit.jpg

IMG_0057Edit.jpg

IMG_0047Edit.jpg

He looks like he's smiling in this one.

Also,

a video of the midas blenny swimming around.
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick updates, the midas blenny is a pig! :happydance:

He didn't come out to eat last time I fed the tank (I feed every other day) because he was still too shy, but I just fed the tank tonight and he came out to wolf down a bunch of food. I feed only pellets and flakes at this point because none of my current fish or inverts are the least bit picky and its so much easier. I always worry with a new fish that I may have to go back to frozen if they end up being finicky. That isn't a big deal since I keep a variety of frozen food on hand, but I'm about to leave my tank with a friend for 10 days and my friends always hate dealing with the frozen food. Luckily the new midas blenny took to the flake food no problem. He also held his own against the greedy clowns, shrimp, and coral beauty to get plenty of food. Always good to see with a new fish :D

Also, I want one of these shirts from http://www.imareefer.com/ :D

46248078.jpg

46040296.jpg

46248208.jpg

46248240.jpg

A few more photos of the critters that I took tonight.

Purple Firefish

IMG_0122Edit-1.jpg

The Midas Blenny's perch.

IMG_0107Edit.jpg

Female clown hosting the zoas.

IMG_0089Edit.jpg

IMG_0113Edit.jpg

The clowns are getting huge!

IMG_0117Edit.jpg

One of the cleaner shrimp.

IMG_0116Edit-1.jpg

Great shots man. Looks like the blenny likes to lounge in luxury.

Thanks! And yeah, the blenny has picked the prime spot between the efflo, pink lemonade, and Cali tort. I guess he has good taste :P

Ha! Love those tee shirts!!!

I gotta say that Midas blennies have to be the greatest fish ever! Glad to hear your little guy is doing well.

LOL....LOVE those shirts!!!!! I want the "reefer chick" shirt, but they are out of my size :(

Great new pictures!!!!!! That midas is as cute as Poe!!!! You and Randi have the cutest midas blennies!!!!!!! Someday I will have one :happy:

Ha! Love those tee shirts!!!

I gotta say that Midas blennies have to be the greatest fish ever! Glad to hear your little guy is doing well.

They really are awesome fish. I always liked yours and Randy's but its even cooler in person. I love how they swim. Mine is definitely still doing well today. He's out and about looking for food and he's not the least bit shy of the clowns or the cora beauty.

LOL....LOVE those shirts!!!!! I want the "reefer chick" shirt, but they are out of my size :(

Great new pictures!!!!!! That midas is as cute as Poe!!!! You and Randi have the cutest midas blennies!!!!!!! Someday I will have one :happy:

Those T-shirts are great, right? I need to get one at some point. Hopefully they'll get some of the sizes back in stock. I love my new midas...I think he's my new favorite fish. He needs a name. And you should totally get one!

Those T-shirts are great, right? I need to get one at some point. Hopefully they'll get some of the sizes back in stock. I love my new midas...I think he's my new favorite fish. He needs a name. And you should totally get one!

I would like a reefer chick mug. Someone needs to make those!!!!!!

He does need a name. Something happy :)

Someday I'll get one. In a few years.

I would like a reefer chick mug. Someone needs to make those!!!!!!

The only problem with this is I live in Berkeley and I always worry about people misinterpreting "reefer". :lol: Every time I talk about being involved with the Bay Area Reefers, I feel like I have to explain its an aquarium club.

He does need a name. Something happy :)

Someday I'll get one. In a few years.

I'll have to brainstorm for names. You just need another tank to put a Midas blenny in :D

So I wrote up my instructions today for my friend who's watching the tanks for 10 days. I love that it involves like 10 steps.

1) Check thermometer to make sure temp is between 78 and 82F.

2) Make sure powerheads are running properly by looking for ripples on the surface.

3) Make sure filter is running my looking for water running back into the tank

etc... :lol:

My friends always roll their eyes when they get stuck with the tank and see my directions. The aquarium is more complicated than watching Lily for me. At least they're all really good at following directions, so the tank should be fine.

The only problem with this is I live in Berkeley and I always worry about people misinterpreting "reefer". :lol: Every time I talk about being involved with the Bay Area Reefers, I feel like I have to explain its an aquarium club.

I'll have to brainstorm for names. You just need another tank to put a Midas blenny in :D

So I wrote up my instructions today for my friend who's watching the tanks for 10 days. I love that it involves like 10 steps.

1) Check thermometer to make sure temp is between 78 and 82F.

2) Make sure powerheads are running properly by looking for ripples on the surface.

3) Make sure filter is running my looking for water running back into the tank

etc... :lol:

My friends always roll their eyes when they get stuck with the tank and see my directions. The aquarium is more complicated than watching Lily for me. At least they're all really good at following directions, so the tank should be fine.

True...most people would not think "reefer" refers to our innocent saltwater aquarium hobby :lol:

I think my next tank will be the same one my brother has. I like the size and dimensions of it. And I'll have more room for fish!!!!!

My aquarium instructions list is always ginormous too :lol:

True...most people would not think "reefer" refers to our innocent saltwater aquarium hobby :lol:

I think my next tank will be the same one my brother has. I like the size and dimensions of it. And I'll have more room for fish!!!!!

Yeah, reefer has such an unfortunate connotation, especially in Berkeley. Also, I already think all my neighbors think I grow pot since my entire apartment glows from the aquarium lights which look unfortunately like grow lights. Had I mentioned one of the fish stores I go to shared space with a big hydroponics store? The other LFS is right next door to a hydroponics store. Oh, only in the bay area :lol:

Yay! Get a cube like your brothers. I definitely think you need another tank :D

I love the new guy! Such a cutie pie with his camo on in those other pics!

Get to know his personality, mine is a little poet always flitting and swimming around he named himself.

Love the tank looks like it is really coming along for you and your fish look so happy!

How is miss Lilly? :D

I love the new guy! Such a cutie pie with his camo on in those other pics!

Get to know his personality, mine is a little poet always flitting and swimming around he named himself.

Love the tank looks like it is really coming along for you and your fish look so happy!

How is miss Lilly? :D

Great to hear from you Randy! Yeah my midas always has his camo on when he's sitting in his crevice between the SPS corals, but then when he's swimming it goes away. He actually spends way more time then I expected just hovering in the water column above the SPS arch. I'm actually watching him swim around right now. And yeah, I'm sure after I get to know him, I'll come up with a name. Gotta think of something as cute as Poe :D

Thanks for the compliment, Randy. I'm super happy with the tank right now. Its pretty well filled in and running on autopilot right now which means I get to spend a lot of time sitting back and enjoying it. How's your tank doing? I've been following the photos on Facebook and everything looks great!

Lily is good. She flying to Atlanta with me tomorrow to stay with my parents while I'm at a conference. Expect some photos of her in her Halloween costume as it gets closer to the end of the month :lol:

It's going well I need to get an ATO so I can "Sit Back" but other then a small bloom of algae (nothing I can't handle) everything is growing great!

Also since the I saw the color on your Blue guy I moved mine up and have noticed much more greening on the base and etc. He loves the higher light.

Has miss Lily flown before? My cat would go nuts! :lol:

Now I need another Bigger tank cuz this one is almost full! LMAO :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hubby always rolled his eyes @ my lists too.

It's going well I need to get an ATO so I can "Sit Back" but other then a small bloom of algae (nothing I can't handle) everything is growing great!

Also since the I saw the color on your Blue guy I moved mine up and have noticed much more greening on the base and etc. He loves the higher light.

Has miss Lily flown before? My cat would go nuts! :lol:

Now I need another Bigger tank cuz this one is almost full! LMAO :lol:

I still don't have an ATO. I don't mind adding a bit of water every other day though, so I'll just stick to doing it myself. Since you have the sump it makes more sense to get one.

Lily is an experienced flyer. :) This will be her 3rd trip to Atlanta. Amazingly enough it doesn't phase her at all and she just sleeps the whole time. I carry her on with me and she just hangs out in her carrier under the seat. I always take a direct flight when I have her with me, so its pretty easy. Also she gets fawned on by everyone in the airport which is entertaining.

I know how you feel. Mine is packed full and I still have the itch to buy things, haha! Someday I'm going to have like a 250 gallon tank. I just need to own a decent sized house first. :)

Glad to know its not just me! I'm always nervous to leave the tank with someone who knows nothing about aquariums, so I try to make the instructions as detailed and idiot-proof as possible :lol:

Being detailed comes naturally to me. This means long lists :lol:

The golden acro is doing fabulously!!!!! It's so pretty!!!!!

Safe travels to you two tomorrow!!!!!!

Yep, the workshop was great. Unfortunately, Neptunes isn't close to there. The BAR meetings are in Hayward and its another 30 minute drive (if there's no traffic) down to Neptunes. That means it would be over an hour drive back to Berkeley (with absolutely no traffic, which never happens). Its just too far for me to drive for an LFS when there are 4 that are half the distance to Neptunes.

Ah, sorry. For some reason people were saying it was nearby. Knew it was actually farther than just Fremont. Tank's looking great!

The golden acro is doing fabulously!!!!! It's so pretty!!!!!

Safe travels to you two tomorrow!!!!!!

Glad to hear its doing well! I'm glad my first shipping attempt wasn't a disaster.

We got here safely and Lily is having fun running around my parents' 4 story townhouse. She LOVES stairs. :lol: Lily was absolutely great on the flight again. She was in her carrier for about 10 hours without any issues. She just slept almost the whole time.

I got my suitcase out to pack Thursday night and Lily wanted to make sure I remembered to pack her as well.

photo9.jpg

Here's Lily in her carrier at the airport with her AirTran "VIP" tag.

photo8.jpg

Ah, sorry. For some reason people were saying it was nearby. Knew it was actually farther than just Fremont. Tank's looking great!

Thanks! :) And no worries! Its just unfortunately with the price of gas right now, its not worth it to go down to Neptunes. Someday I'll get down there to check it out.

Lily and I made it safely back to Berkeley today and tonight was the annual pumpkin carving party with my friends. Here are some completely non-tank related photos from pumpkin carving.

IMG_0305Edit.jpg

The finished pumpkins. Mine is on the far right.

photo11.jpg

The spider cupcakes I made.

photo10Edit.jpg

Me with Lily in her Halloween costume. She's a vampire. I'll have a better photo shoot with her in her costume sometime before Halloween.

Oh, and my tank survived me being gone for 10 days with no mishaps. It needs a good algae scraping/cleaning but other than that everything is happy and healthy. :D

Archived