Coral Vue Hydros

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Ok time for a TON of photos.

First off, a new FTS with the rocks shelves.

IMG_0072Edit.jpg

Another view of the shelves.

IMG_0065Edit.jpg

The sour apple birdsnest on the center rock shelf.

IMG_0061Edit.jpg

The SPS section at the top of the arch now that I moved the birdsnest and rearranged a bit.

IMG_0059Edit.jpg

Fun corner angle of the tank.

IMG_0082Edit.jpg

Some cool plating coralline that's growing on my rocks. :)

IMG_2022.jpg

Ok, now for some coral close-ups....

Tyree LE Miami Hurricane Chalice

IMG_0033Edit.jpg

Bam Bam Zoas from the frag swap

IMG_0025Edit.jpg

Tubbs Blue Zoas from the frag swap

IMG_0019Edit.jpg

I made 3 frags of the sour apple birdsnest and one of the slimer last night. Here are those frags.

IMG_0022Edit.jpg

IMG_0011Edit.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok now its time for some real fun...macro shots of coral using my water proof camera case.

Who needs a macro lens when you can just stick your camera down in the tank centimeters from the corals? :lol:

First off, the pink lemonade for Gena.

IMG_0087Edit.jpg

Bali Green Slimer

IMG_0115Edit.jpg

Sour Apple Birdsnest

IMG_0104Edit.jpg

Blue Acro

IMG_0093Edit.jpg

New Green and Yellow Pocillopora from the frag swap

IMG_0091Edit.jpg

Purple Stylophora

IMG_0090Edit.jpg

ATL Efflo

IMG_0097Edit.jpg

Purple Polyp Birdsnest and Pink Birdsnest

IMG_0099Edit.jpg

Red Millepora

IMG_0102Edit.jpg

ATL Fire Polyp Undata (one of my absolute favorite pieces :D)

IMG_0125Edit.jpg

Rainbow Monti

IMG_0157Edit.jpg

ATL Alien Eye Firefly Chalice

IMG_0150Edit.jpg

Armor of God Zoas

IMG_0128Edit.jpg

Ring of Fire Zoas

IMG_0139Edit.jpg

Red Hornets

IMG_0142Edit.jpg

Kedds Red Zoas

IMG_0154Edit.jpg

Pink Pulsing Xenia

IMG_0122Edit.jpg

Frogspawn

IMG_0127Edit.jpg

Gena's tank is only 28 gallons total, so I'm guessing she only goes a couple gallon water changes. My guess is she probably just uses a 5 gallon bucket with her RODI unit.
I think he was asking you, but accidently quoted me. At any rate, I do 5 gallons on my 28g each week. And I use one of those common LFS 5 gallon jugs :D
Ah yeah, I was a bit confused there. I do about 3-4 gallon water changes using my 4 gallon buckets from Target. :)

I was actually asking gena. Thanks for both of you answering though! :)

Love all the new pics. They look like they belong in a National Geographic magazine!!!

Those shelves look great!!! but.....I think you need two more to balance things out and more room for, well, you know. :)

Woah nice pics. The one of the green slimer is pretty awesome!

I think its time for you to frag that $500 Eflo and trade me a piece for some Red Planet. :D

omgomgomg

holy moley!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures are jaw dropping!!!!!!! Everything looks amazing!!!!!!

Your PL is way more encrusted than mine is. It's gorgeous!!!! Thanks for that awesome photo dump :)

Nice to see a fellow bay area reefer's tank! I totally missed out on that frag swap.

What's your maintenance like to keep the SPS?

The frag swap was pretty good. Are you going to the breeder and propagation workshop next month?

As for maintenance, I really don't spend a ton of time on the tank right now because it seems to be pretty stable. I've been doing 3 gallon water changes every 2 weeks to a month, which seems to replenish most of the minerals the SPS corals need because I don't dose much. I just add some B-ionic 2 part Ca and Alk and some Coral Amino after I do the water change.

Love all the new pics. They look like they belong in a National Geographic magazine!!!

:blush: Thank you!

Those shelves look great!!! but.....I think you need two more to balance things out and more room for, well, you know. :)

I know! I thought about doing them all the way across the back, but unfortunately I can't put any over on the left side of the tank. The AC 70 return hangs over there and creates shade, plus the undata and frogspawn are growing right against the back glass so a shelf would shade them. I can squeeze in one more shelf towards the center if I get rid of the xenia on the back wall, but I can't put shelves all the way to the left side.

Woah nice pics. The one of the green slimer is pretty awesome!

I think its time for you to frag that $500 Eflo and trade me a piece for some Red Planet. :D

Thank you! I was really happy with how they turned out. I was just using my little point and shoot.

You don't seriously think that was a $500 Efflo do you? It only cost me like $40. Its growing pretty fast, so at some point soon I'll be able to frag it and trade with you. :)

omgomgomg

holy moley!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures are jaw dropping!!!!!!! Everything looks amazing!!!!!!

Your PL is way more encrusted than mine is. It's gorgeous!!!! Thanks for that awesome photo dump :)

Thank you so much, Gena. I need to remember to take photos with the waterproof case more often because the photos came out soooo much better than when I take them from outside of the tank. And yeah, the PL has encrusted quite a bit, so maybe its not too slow of a grower. It just hasn't grown taller or branched at all yet which is why I think of it as growing so slow. Maybe it will finish encrusting out and then switch to growing vertically.

You don't seriously think that was a $500 Efflo do you? It only cost me like $40.

I just realized that $500 efflo is actually a variety of efflo, not the price. Dang, you almost convinced me it was worth $500. :lol: Weird name for a coral. Mine came from Atlantis Aquariums and they call it just an ATL Efflo since it was aquacultured from their big colony. I'm not sure if it could possibly be a $500 efflo. It does look similar.

Thanks Morgan! I appreciate the coral ID. I was wondering if that might be what it was, but I wasn't positive. It was sold to me as just a blue acro and when I got it, it was too small to really tell exactly what it was.

I just realized that $500 efflo is actually a variety of efflo, not the price. Dang, you almost convinced me it was worth $500. :lol: Weird name for a coral. Mine came from Atlantis Aquariums and they call it just an ATL Efflo since it was aquacultured from their big colony. I'm not sure if it could possibly be a $500 efflo. It does look similar.

I thought it was $500 at first, and then realized it couldn't be! Then I thought it was named that, haha! You weren't the only confused one. :)

$500 Efflo = ATL Efflo as far as I can tell. I htink they just stopped calling it that after a while, probably because of the confusion. :D

I think that would look fantastic growing on my back wall next to my RP colony.

I thought it was $500 at first, and then realized it couldn't be! Then I thought it was named that, haha! You weren't the only confused one. :)

Glad to know it wasn't just me who was super confused by that. :)

$500 Efflo = ATL Efflo as far as I can tell. I htink they just stopped calling it that after a while, probably because of the confusion. :D

I think that would look fantastic growing on my back wall next to my RP colony.

Its definitely a confusing name for a coral. I looked it up and I guess it got the name because the mother colony of it was sold for $500 which was really expensive at the time. So then they started calling that variety $500 efflo. It probably is the same one that Atlantis Aquariums is aquaculturing and calling the ATL efflo. Either way, its a nice piece and I agree it would look nice in your tank. It'll probably be a few more months before I can start fragging it, but you'll be first on the list.

I went to the LFS...uh oh...that means I bought coral! :lol:

I really should not allow myself to go to the LFS but I wanted to start looking at what the local stores had in terms of nice SPS corals. I went to Atlantis first because they're my favorite and then I stopped by Aquatic Collections because they tend to have big colonies of SPS for sale and I want one of the new rock shelves to have a nice big colony on it. The other one will have 2-3 small frags that need to grow out. I love the look of a big acro colony though, so I wanted to buy one now that I have space.

I won't tell you what I bought yet, but be excited! Things are acclimating now and then I'll post photos. :D

Its time for photos of something new! omgomgomg:happydance:

Giant yellow acro colony from Aquatic collections!

IMG_0173Edit.jpg

Fills up its shelf perfectly.

IMG_0179Edit.jpg

Its super happy in my tank. I put it in after temperature acclimation and about 30 seconds later it had amazing PE. It didn't have PE in the store at all, so it seems to really like my tank. I wanted a colony for that shelf, but I figured I'd be getting a mini colony. I didn't think I could afford something so big. That colony only cost me $80. Considering some of the 1" frags of SPS at Atlantis Aquariums that I'm considering buying cost $80, I couldn't resist that deal. And I LOVE the yellow, since almost nothing else in my tank is that color (only the tiny pink lemonade is yellow). I realized I'm going to make Gena jealous with my big yellow acro colony. Gena, I'll send you a frag if you want :D

Ok, now the plan is to spend some time picking out 2-3 1" frags for the final shelf. I think I need something blue/teal and something bright red. Then I'll have a range of colors for my SPS corals. Right now I've got green, purple, yellow, pink, and dark blue covered.

Oh, and my other purchase was 3 polyps of My Clementines zoas from Atlantis Aquariums for $30. Awesome deal! Also, I've been trying to get clementines for months because not only are they super pretty, but they're orange and blue. I'm a Gator fan since I went to University of Florida for undergrad and the Gator's colors are orange and blue. So now I have my Gator fan zoas :D Go Gators!

This photo is sort of on topic since it involves my water change bucket...

LilyBucket.jpg

:lol:

Lily decided to knock my bucket over and use it as a bed.

Awe...I enjoyed her on FB and I'm enjoying her here :wub:

So did I!!!!!!!! :lol:

I went to the LFS...uh oh...that means I bought coral! :lol:

I really should not allow myself to go to the LFS but I wanted to start looking at what the local stores had in terms of nice SPS corals. I went to Atlantis first because they're my favorite and then I stopped by Aquatic Collections because they tend to have big colonies of SPS for sale and I want one of the new rock shelves to have a nice big colony on it. The other one will have 2-3 small frags that need to grow out. I love the look of a big acro colony though, so I wanted to buy one now that I have space.

I won't tell you what I bought yet, but be excited! Things are acclimating now and then I'll post photos. :D

omgomgomg

Can't wait!!!!!!!!! I would have preferred a big colony of Pink Lemonade, but that wasn't gonna happen at the going price!!!!!!!!!! I anxious to see what you got ;)

My jaw is on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

That's exactly what I wanted!!!!!!! It's like buttercream :wub: I'm jealous, but I'm happy for you!!!!!! I would have totally paid that price too...lucky!!!!!

Awe...I enjoyed her on FB and I'm enjoying her here :wub:

She is quite the entertaining kitty. I'm sure she'd just love knowing she has a fan club :lol:

That's exactly what I wanted!!!!!!! It's like buttercream :wub: I'm jealous, but I'm happy for you!!!!!! I would have totally paid that price too...lucky!!!!!

I know! I went in the LFS and walked over to the SPS colony section and that yellow stood out from a couple feet away. I just had to have it at that point. And I totally thought of you when I saw it. Sorry I stole your coral :) And yeah, I definitely think it was worth the price. Seriously, I'll send you a frag if you want. Since you're also in CA, it can probably be sent USPS priority for only $14.

Archived