Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Just some fun photos from tonight's feeding time:

195rip.jpg

ET is getting braver about being out in the open. He was just standing there waving his little pom poms around like a cheerleader.

o8yqyv.jpg

Pepe le skunk cleaner shrimp B)

352lvgw.jpg

Twitch the firefish.

23qx9vl.jpg

Silly hermit crab picking on one of the snails.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool critters!

Be careful on your dive and stay warm! Hope you bring back some big bugs.

Thanks! Will do! Ill let you guys know how many I catch when I get back home on Sunday. Hopefully a lot because I'm looking forward to eating them, haha.

I'm so envious of your impending lobster feast and feasts to come!!!!! YUM!!!!!!

I got my reefcleaners order today. I didn't order a package because I was afraid of getting an overload. Well, guess it doesn't matter....he gave me a lot!!!!!!! I'm gonna post a pic. on my thread in a little bit :)

Great new pictures!!!!!!

I'm so envious of your impending lobster feast and feasts to come!!!!! YUM!!!!!!

I'm so excited for the trip. The fire alarm in my lab went off today because of a chemical spill and they said it would be 3 hours before we could get back in, so I decided to take a half day and go run errands for the trip. Man is holiday traffic a pain, but now I'm all set to leave tomorrow.

I got my reefcleaners order today. I didn't order a package because I was afraid of getting an overload. Well, guess it doesn't matter....he gave me a lot!!!!!!! I'm gonna post a pic. on my thread in a little bit :)

I saw your photo of the pile of snails...I don't even know what I'm going to do with so many snails. Hopefully with that many my new algae problem will just disappear. I've got gross cyano :angry: . Quickly learning my lesson about why I should use RO water. Also, my 12 hour light cycle probably wasn't helping. I cut it back to 9 hours.

Great new pictures!!!!!!

Thanks! I wish I could get a decent shot of the Mandarin but he's still really shy. The YWG and pistol pair have basically made a network of tunnels under my center rock so at any given time they'll just appear on one side of the rock, and then I'll see them in a totally different spot later. Its incredibly entertaining.

Also, I got my order from PhilYourAquarium this morning and both frags are open and looking good. I'll snap some photos later this evening after I scrub the algae off the front glass...blah...I need those snails!

New Coral Photos

15dkqe1.jpg

Aussie Duncan from Phil Your Aquarium

x4hnao.jpg

Acans from Phil Your Aquarium + ET

30hxb8l.jpg

Free blasto from my last trip to the LFS

Videos!

ET (the pom pom crab) doing his cheerleading routine plus the YWG guarding the pistol's burrow:

The new green mandarin:

Other Updates:

First off, the coral from Phil Your Aquarium looks great this time and seems to be perfectly happy. Also, I figured out why ET and the porcelain crab are always under the same rock together...there are actually two porcelain crabs in my tank! One lives under the rock on the left and the other under the rock on the right. ET moved all around the tank so he's always near one of the two porcelain crabs. I had never seen both of them at once, so I had assumed there was only one that was following ET around. Sweet! Yay for good hitchhikers!

In other news I tested every single water parameter today since I'll be out of town for a few days starting tomorrow. Everything was perfect except the calcium was a bit low, but I expected that since I haven't quite figured out how much my corals use to get a routine dosing schedule set up. I dosed B-ionic after testing the water so the calcium should be in the right range now. I was surprised my amm, nitrites, and nitrates were all at 0 because I figured adding the 3 fish in from the QT would have increased the bioload a ton. I put them back in the DT on Sunday night so if the levels were going to spike they would have done so by now. Also, I was surprised that my phosphates came out at 0 ppm. I wonder what's causing this nasty cyano algae and the green algae on the glass then...hmmm. I assumed I was learning my lesson for learning tap water, but if there are no phosphates that doesn't seem like the culprit. Maybe I just need a larger CUC, which will be remedied next week when my Reef Cleaners pile o'snails arrives.

I was eyeing those blue/red acans from PYA. LOL But when I saw the Fruity Pebbles at the LFS I had to get it instead. Good luck with the new corals.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Love the new videos! I wish my pompom crab had pom poms!!!!! Maybe I'll try to get her a mate this weekend and he can share his with her!

Have you seen the mandarin eat the pods you've added. Those guys are so gorgeous. I hope you have great success with it!!!!

Have a fun safe trip! I read it's supposed to be 81 here on Saturday :)

I was eyeing those blue/red acans from PYA. LOL But when I saw the Fruity Pebbles at the LFS I had to get it instead. Good luck with the new corals.

Yeah, they're pretty nice looking, but those fruity pebbled are awesome! I've decided that acans are my favorite right now. I'm keeping on the lookout for nice colorful ones.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Love the new videos! I wish my pompom crab had pom poms!!!!! Maybe I'll try to get her a mate this weekend and he can share his with her!

He's so cute with his pom poms. I just love how he'll stand somewhere during feeding time and just wave them around so they can get food. They can split them, so maybe if you get a new one with both anemones, they can each take one and split it.

Have you seen the mandarin eat the pods you've added. Those guys are so gorgeous. I hope you have great success with it!!!!

He's so skittish I usually can't get a good look at him back behind the rocks, so I'm having a really hard time telling if he's eating. Last night he definitely perked up during feeding time and looked like he was going after the food, but I don't know if he was actually swallowing it or just spitting it out like mandarins are known to do. I do see him picking at the rocks though, so I assume that's him eating the pods. I ordered more pods from Reef Cleaners so I'll add them to the tank to make sure he still has plenty to eat. Hopefully I can add pods until he gets less skittish so I can spot feed him and make sure he eats. I'm optimistic that he really does eat frozen food though because he looks nice and plump and based on my friends's description of the tank he was in at the store he picked him up from, it didn't sound like something that could have an established pod population and they were only feeding them frozen brine. I feel like if he didn't eat the brine he'd be getting skinny by now since they have such high metabolisms.

Have a fun safe trip! I read it's supposed to be 81 here on Saturday :)

Thanks! Good to know it supposed to be warm. That makes getting in the 50 degree water that much more tolerable :) Enjoy your turkey, football, and the parade!

Catching lobsters is way more difficult than I thought, but the dive trip was a ton of fun anyway. We got to do 6 dives total in the two days including two wreck dives, a night dive, and several dives in the kelp forrests. The weather was absolutely gorgeous for diving :)

Anyways, here's a couple photos from the trip:

2emkbdc.jpg

Me (on the right), my dive buddy, and her boyfriend with a lobster!

33oi42s.jpg

Awesome carpet of purple urchins.

14vi42f.jpg

More purple urchins.

In some bad news, when I got back my duncan that I received from PYA a day before leaving on my trip looked like this:

25oxxs3.jpg

Nothing else in my tank looks the least bit upset and my new SPS has great PE right now, so I don't thing anything major went wrong to kill the duncan. I've pretty much decided not to buy any more coral online after two frags have just melted away like this.

To make myself feel better and to replace the dead duncan I decided to go check out my LFS's black friday weekend sale which was 25% off all coral. I got to talking to the employee while I was shopping and he said if I told him what all I was interested in that he's work me out some deals even better than 25% off. I need to figure out exactly what days he works because he always gives me great deals and freebies whereas the other employee who is normally in doesn't do that.

I asked him how much a head of duncan would be and I was told $30 but he'd give it to me for $20 if that wasn't all I was buying. I ended up telling him I was buying the head of duncan to replace one I ordered online that melted away and that I'd only paid $12 for it, so he told me he'd give me the head of duncan for $12 to match the price I found online. There wasn't a single head frag in stock, so he had to cut one for me and he ended up giving me a frag of lavender lace duncan that has 3 heads and what looks to be a new head growing out on one side. Awesome!

The LFS has just gotten in a colony of GORGEOUS rainbow acans that were $40 per head originally, but $30 a head with the 25% off sale. When the employee cut me off my one head I asked for he included a second tiny head as well.

I also bought an Aussie warpaint scoly that was originally fragged in half a couple of months ago, but is partially grown back to the full circle shape. It was originally $60 but I paid $45 after the 25% off sale.

For buying three corals, the LFS employee threw in a $60 frag of ~5 Valentine's Day Massacre Palys I'd been eyeing for free. He also gave me a free blue mushroom and some type of fuzzy encrusting LPS that he wasn't sure what it was but was in the $25 section. I left the store paying just under $100 and got 6 different corals, several of which are absolutely stunning! Yay for deals!

The corals are in my tank but haven't opened up all the way yet, so I'll post pictures as soon as they're settled.

Between the lavender lace Duncan and the scoly, you scored huge!

Nice diving pics. I was fortunate enough to PADI certified in Okinawa Japan. It was all open water. I loved it there.

Can't wait to see all the new coral in your tank!!!!!!!

Did you eat a lot of lobster this weekend? That's a great picture :)

So many urchins!!!! How big are they? They actually look a lot like the urchins I had in my tank, only a different color.

Ok...I have to ask....did you see any sharks?

Nice diving pics. I was fortunate enough to PADI certified in Okinawa Japan. It was all open water. I loved it there.

Thanks! That's awesome that you got to dive in Japan! Do you have any pictures? I haven't gotten to dive outside the US yet, but hopefully sometime soon.

I like it! I'll call him that from now on :)

And in thanks for thinking up an awesome name, here's a funny cat picture:

2vtns09.jpg

ET is getting braver about being out in the open. He was just standing there waving his little pom poms around like a cheerleader.

aww you picked the name! Thanks!! cute kitty picture. I can't get a fin for my cat :(

So now I'm on the hunt for a yellow collar with bumble bees on it for Christmas.

Did you eat a lot of lobster this weekend? That's a great picture :)

I didn't eat any of the lobster yet, but I've got some in my freezer that I plan to cook up this week.

So many urchins!!!! How big are they? They actually look a lot like the urchins I had in my tank, only a different color.

The diameter of them was about the size of the palm of your hand. A little too big for a nano tank but a really pretty shade of purple. Once we got shallow enough the rocks were just covered with them.

Ok...I have to ask....did you see any sharks?

No sharks this trip :(

aww you picked the name! Thanks!! cute kitty picture. I can't get a fin for my cat :(

So now I'm on the hunt for a yellow collar with bumble bees on it for Christmas.

Yep, ET seems to suit him :)

I bet they'll have the fins back next Halloween, but a bumble bee color sounds adorable. Post pictures if you find one!

That was 2000. The best camera I had was a 35mm disposable. I have regrets about not taking enough photos back then, but that's ok. Thailand was a crazy place too, but Japan was amazing.

Felicia...is the PYA contest still going on????? I forgot about it!!!!!!

Yes it is. It's finished on the 30th, but at this point I don't have a shot compared to some of the photos that have over 100 votes. Thanks for helping out though! :)

Yes it is. It's finished on the 30th, but at this point I don't have a shot compared to some of the photos that have over 100 votes. Thanks for helping out though! :)

NP! Those types of contests are really tough when it's not just a one time vote...but you can place a vote everyday. I'll have to check how far you are down. I haven't been on FB for a while.

NP! Those types of contests are really tough when it's not just a one time vote...but you can place a vote everyday. I'll have to check how far you are down. I haven't been on FB for a while.

I'm down by a ton but I didn't want to spam my Facebook friends everyday trying to get them to vote. It's probably a good thing I'm not winning anyway because with the luck I have with PYA corals the frag pack would probably just melt away on me.

Archived