SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

I can help you solder!! I do a good bit of it in lab and own my own iron :). The tank looks awesome!! Can't wait to see how the upgrade goes.

Yay! That would be awesome. I'll get the new light when I get back from Atlanta for Christmas, so maybe in January you can help me assemble the light.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...I don't know what is happening to my fuzzy mushroom. Its the weirdest thing, it was totally healthy and then all of a sudden its mouth melted away and it had this center spot of white disintegrating tissue. Now there is actually a significantly sized hole in the center of the mushroom and you can see the rock below. The white areas are still present around the edge of the hole. The mushroom has been insanely happy since I got it and growing like crazy. It was huge! I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Everything else is fine right now.

I tested all params again last night and they were:

pH: 8.0

Amm: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5 (its due for a water change today, so I'm not surprised I have a tiny bit of nitrates. Not enough to kill a mushroom though)

Ca: 360 (I added b-ionic to up the calcium to 400-450)

Alk: 11

Update on the Upgrade

I decided to go with the 30 gallon tank to better fit the stand I have and so I can have more fishies! I talked to my LFS and they ordered me a 30 gallon from All Glass Aquariums which should come in with their delivery tomorrow. It's 36"x12"x16" with a black rim. I'll post a photo after I pick it up tomorrow.

Ive also decided to buy the 36 LED kit from aquastyleonline.com. It'll be 9-6500k whites, 9-10000k whites, and 18 royal blues. I should get it in January and I'll post photos of the assembly. I'm excited to learn to solder!

I'm also going to order some supplies from Bulk Rerf Supply during the group buy in a couple weeks. I'm going to get 15 pounds of dry rock to add to the 13 pounds of live rock I have now. I'm also going to buy a 100 watt heater and another powerhead. Any suggestions? I'm thinking the larger size koralia nano, but I don't know about a heater. I'm just going to move my AC70 fuge onto the new tank and not do a sump for the time being. I may get a hang on back skimmer at some point later on when I save up more money.

Those Lavender Laced Duncans are gorgeous!!! I want one now! lol. Can't wait to see your 30g and LED setup. I might steal your ideas for my future bigger tank. lol.

Glad you're going bigger! I have done some DIY stuff, but the very last thing I would try is anything electrical!!!!!

Can't wait to see what you do with this one!!!

Upgrade...woohoo. Can't wait to see the new tank!!!!!!

How's the fuzzy mushroom doing? Maybe there is something in there eating these things? Like a worm? When you take everything down for the upgrade...look carefully at your rocks. If you have a large enough eunicid, you'll see it for sure.

Those Lavender Laced Duncans are gorgeous!!! I want one now! lol. Can't wait to see your 30g and LED setup. I might steal your ideas for my future bigger tank. lol.

Sounds like I'll have to start fragging the duncan once it grows out quite a bit. And feel free to steal any ideas! I'm always looking at other people's threads to get ideas myself.

Glad you're going bigger! I have done some DIY stuff, but the very last thing I would try is anything electrical!!!!!

Can't wait to see what you do with this one!!!

I said I wasn't going to do electrical either, but this kits seems like it won't be too bad to put together. Plus my friend who knows how to solder is going to help me out.

Upgrade...woohoo. Can't wait to see the new tank!!!!!!

How's the fuzzy mushroom doing? Maybe there is something in there eating these things? Like a worm? When you take everything down for the upgrade...look carefully at your rocks. If you have a large enough eunicid, you'll see it for sure.

The mushroom is confusing me. I thought at first that maybe something was eating it or picking at it, but now I'm almost wondering if its just splitting. It looked really unhealthy, so I thought there was a problem, but now its in two pieces and seems to be healing. I haven't seen a mushroom split yet, so maybe that's what's going on and I just didn't realize. No clue...

congrats on the upgrade! can't wait to see it setup. i'm working on something myself.

30 is a nice size, you can fit so much more than a 10gal..lol i'm running out of space..haha

The mushroom is confusing me. I thought at first that maybe something was eating it or picking at it, but now I'm almost wondering if its just splitting. It looked really unhealthy, so I thought there was a problem, but now its in two pieces and seems to be healing. I haven't seen a mushroom split yet, so maybe that's what's going on and I just didn't realize. No clue...

Actually...that's probably all it was. Rhodactis will split right in the middle. I have a green one that does that. That's great news!!!!

Actually...that's probably all it was. Rhodactis will split right in the middle. I have a green one that does that. That's great news!!!!

Ok great! Good to know. I just thought they grew a second mouth first and then split. My mushrooms mouth disappeared and it split in half where the mouth had been. Right now its two pieces and neither has a mouth. I assume each piece will grow a new mouth eventually?

Ok great! Good to know. I just thought they grew a second mouth first and then split. My mushrooms mouth disappeared and it split in half where the mouth had been. Right now its two pieces and neither has a mouth. I assume each piece will grow a new mouth eventually?

Yep...that's exactly what my greens did. I have a picture of it somewhere in my thread. It's toward the beginning, but I don't feel like searching right now :)

Yep...that's exactly what my greens did. I have a picture of it somewhere in my thread. It's toward the beginning, but I don't feel like searching right now :)

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear that. I love my fuzzy mushroom and it was so happy and HUGE. I was so confused as to why it was dying on me. If its just turning into two mushrooms, then that's great! I'll go look around your thread for photos. Thanks for the info!

This is kind of late, but...

Woohoo! I made it to page 20!

I think that calls for a funny video, so check out my hermit crabs' antics.

My new tank came in today, but it came in so late that I didn't have time to go pick it up before my mani/pedi appointment at 4, so I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow. I'll post photos once I get it on the stand. :)

Funny! looks like two kids fighting on the big red sofa

Haha, I know. This went on for like 5 minutes total. The little one kept hitching a ride on top of the big one and the big one kept trying to ram him into coral to knock him off. The big one is usually such a bully, so it was funny watching him not be able to get the little one off of his shell.

BTW....the brain coral is gorgeous!!!!!

Thanks! I love it. Its already grown some since I got it and now its trying to smush my poor rainbow acan. Luckily they don't seem to try to eat one another, just invade each other's space. Luckily I'm upgrading soon because I need more space in the sand for my scoly, not-a-plate, tongue coral, and open brain.

Just wanted to let everyone know to expect lots of photos later tonight because...

I got my new tank!!! :happydance:omgomgomg

Its so pretty. I've never had a long tank before and I love how it looks. The dimensions (36"x12"x16") are absolutely perfect. Its actually not a common size, which is why they had to order it for me. The girl at the LFS loved it so much she's decided they're going to start keeping that size in stock all the time. I also picked up 30 lbs of aragonite live sand for the upgrade.

Quick question for the upgrade, will 800 gph be enough flow for the 30 gallon? I'm going to move my 250 gph powerhead from my 10 gallon into the new tank and then I was considering buying the larger (450 gph) Korallia nano to run as the second powerhead. Also my AC70 fuge will be on there which runs at about 100 gph.

And...

I got more coral!

This shouldn't be surprising because I can't go to that LFS without buying some coral. I bought a rock with two pastel rainbow yumas (they're light blue, light pink, light purple, and light green) for $15. I wanted to buy something else so I'd get my free coral, so I bought this pretty purple monti cap for another $15. Then for my free frag I got a little tiny pink birdsnest :wub: I've been wanting one since I saw Gena's. Its got a spot towards the bottom that is dead, but the rest of it looks really happy and had good polyp extension in the store. The acro I bought seems to love it in my tank, so I'm optimistic this thing will grow quickly.

Damn had it up for 4 months and already upgrading! Lucky!

I have 2 of the Koraila 750s' on my 46 gallon as well as a 500GPH canister filter and feel I don't get enough flow. A longer tank may need more then just the one powerhead.

Love your tank though.

Damn had it up for 4 months and already upgrading! Lucky!

I have 2 of the Koraila 750s' on my 46 gallon as well as a 500GPH canister filter and feel I don't get enough flow. A longer tank may need more then just the one powerhead.

Love your tank though.

Thanks! I'm used the 10 gallon getting plenty of flow from my one powerhead and the AC70, so I wasn't sure how much to put on a 30 gallon long. Thanks for the info!

Archived