SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no such thing as full. You frag it back, sell/trade the frags for new ones! ;)

Yeah, but most of my stuff is tiny frags that are spaced appropriately so that they can grow out. I just don't have much empty space left to add in new frags. I think its time for grow-out and then eventually fragging.

Updates 11/4/11

First off, good news! My pom pom crab is alive and kicking! And his nems have grown! Yay! He's the fuzzy silhouette under the rock in the photo below. Sorry for the crappy quality, he wouldn't come out from under the rock.

IMG_0199.jpg

Now some not so good news. My acan echinata colony tried to eat half my other corals last night. I was told at the LFS that it would be somewhat aggressive and to put it on the sandbed, 6 inches away from other corals. Well I did that, but the thing put out feeder tentacles last night that reached all the way across my 10 gallon. Luckily I caught it before it could actually eat any of my other coral. I ended up having to leave the light on the rest of the night to keep the evil coral from extending its feeders. I returned it to the LFS today and they gave me a store credit for what I had paid for it, which I'll use on my new mandarin in a few weeks. Luckily it was not entirely a disaster :)

My shipment from Philyouraquarium arrived! The rainbow yuma ricordea looks good and is almost all the way open, but not quite. The magician palys on the other hand have yet to open. I added them to the tank at 10:30 this morning, so they've had all day. Hopefully tomorrow they'll decide to open up. I had also ordered some chaeto, and man did I get a giant chunk of the stuff.

2nlu2bt.jpg

The new rainbow yuma. Not the best shot, but I'll get better ones after its adjusted and opened all the way.

The AC70 fuge has been installed! Man does it have some flow. Everything is a bit pissed right now because it completely changed the flow in my tank. Everything seems to be adjusting though, so I'm hoping I won't need to move anything. I also turned off the powerhead for now, since the AC70 seems to be producing PLENTY of flow. After I'm done running the AC20 on my QT tank, I'll probably take the propellor out of there and put it in the AC70 to reduce the flow and then start running my powerhead again. I've got the filter floss and Purigen in one chamber and then the chaeto and my heater in the other. I was able to position the intake behind one of the rocks, so its not too obvious and now the heater is hidden. Here are some photos:

11ad10o.jpg

View from the water level.

xgcugl.jpg

The intake pipe.

206hqnb.jpg

2ntza6b.jpg

Chaeto.

I'm so glad your pom pom crab is still alive..woohoo :happydance:

They really are tough critters. I wish mine had anemones! I'm on the lookout for a male for my female.

That's crazy about the echinata. I had one just like that and never observed super long tentacles. It was in a 35 gallon tank so maybe it felt less threatened in there (if that's even possible).

one of my magician poyps is opening a little bit today! maybe they just take a while, a long while :rolleyes:

I'm so glad your pom pom crab is still alive..woohoo :happydance:

They really are tough critters. I wish mine had anemones! I'm on the lookout for a male for my female.

I made sure I bought one with anemones, because a lot of stores would have them in but they'd be anemone-less. The LFS employee said mine only had one when he came in, but by the time I picked him up, he'd split his into two tiny ones. When I spotted him last night, they look back to full size. I was just so shocked to see him after not even catching a glimpse of him for so long. So glad he's alive and well.

That's crazy about the echinata. I had one just like that and never observed super long tentacles. It was in a 35 gallon tank so maybe it felt less threatened in there (if that's even possible).

Yeah I don't know. It may have been colony size too. The one I bought had like 30+ heads, so that may have been an issue. It had about 10 feeder tentacles out, all going in different directions and grabbing onto different corals. I'm relieved it has been removed and now I have money waiting to spend on my mandarin. Yay :D

one of my magician poyps is opening a little bit today! maybe they just take a while, a long while :rolleyes:

Huh...glad to know they're at least starting to open. Mine never opened yesterday and now my light has been on for an hour and a half today and still nothing. I guess I just need to wait. I may send Phil an e-mail though and just ask if this is normal.

Woohoo! Page 10! I feel popular, haha :lol:

I'm liking the AC70. Might have to search Amazon for one as well.

Yeah, I really like how it turned out. Its big but it really doesn't look too horribly bulky. I switched to AC filters in my freshwater tanks a few years back and now I will only buy that brand. They're great filters. Also the mod is REALLY easy to do. It took me about 20 minutes and then I just had to wait for the silicone to dry.

Definitely get it off Amazon, it was way cheaper than anywhere else I could find it, and if you have Prime it had free 2 day shipping.

I really like how your tank is lookin! B) Just browsin through some of the 10 gallon tank threads.. I read the first 5 pages of yours, 10 pages!! :eek: ill try to get through the rest when I can :P my emerald died last night :( but in the midst of the night my candy cane found my ywg :D and they're happily paired now! Just wanted to share with ya :lol:

I really like how your tank is lookin! B) Just browsin through some of the 10 gallon tank threads.. I read the first 5 pages of yours, 10 pages!! :eek: ill try to get through the rest when I can :P my emerald died last night :( but in the midst of the night my candy cane found my ywg :D and they're happily paired now! Just wanted to share with ya :lol:

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your emerald, but that's awesome that you got the YWG and pistol to pair up. My YWG is still in the QT for a few more weeks and then once I ad him back to the DT I'm hoping he finds my candy stripe pistol and pairs. How long did it take yours to find one another and pair up?

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your emerald, but that's awesome that you got the YWG and pistol to pair up. My YWG is still in the QT for a few more weeks and then once I ad him back to the DT I'm hoping he finds my candy stripe pistol and pairs. How long did it take yours to find one another and pair up?

I got the pistol two weeks ago and the goby's been in there for three weeks :happy:

I just got back from my lfs too.. I went to get 5 gallons of ro and 5 mixed just to have for storage.. I walked out with a paid black occellaris clown and an Armour of God zoa frag LOL so much for that trip.

My lfs is keeping them both for me until my qt is ready.. next week it should be ready for the clown! Im hoping they'll keep the zoa for me long enough till I can figure out where to put it lol I just had to grab it, it was too pretty. I paid $20 for the frag and $30 for the black clown but ended up getting all the water for free hahah oh yeah and my lfs does this thing where if you pay $50 or more you get $5 dollars in coral cash suhhhweeeet B)

Any developments with your magicians? I was pretty much out all day so by the time I got home the lights were out. I have no idea if they opened any further. The cloves were open more today though.

Any developments with your magicians? I was pretty much out all day so by the time I got home the lights were out. I have no idea if they opened any further. The cloves were open more today though.

Mine are still completely closed as of now. My lights go out in an hour, so I doubt they're going to open today. I e-mailed PYA asking about it. This is getting a bit frustrating.

I got the pistol two weeks ago and the goby's been in there for three weeks :happy:

Ok good to know it can take a while. I'll have to be patient once I add my YWG back to the DT.

That's awesome that you got a black clown, you'll have to post pictures of him once he's in your QT. You'll have to post pictures of the coral too. Glad your LFS has a deal. Mine gives you a free coral out of the $10 section (or maybe even pricier if they like you, haha - I got one out of the $30 section last time) if you buy any two corals. Gotta love deals...I think they end up making people buy more :lol:

haha very true.. deals are great! I forgot to ask you, I noticed you said you have the Odyssea 20" 72 Watt T5 HO Fixture. How are your corals doing under the fixture? Did you change out any bulbs?

haha very true.. deals are great! I forgot to ask you, I noticed you said you have the Odyssea 20" 72 Watt T5 HO Fixture. How are your corals doing under the fixture? Did you change out any bulbs?

I'm using the stock bulbs that came with the fixture and everything seems to be doing great since switching to this fixture. I had one polyp of Devil's Armor zoa that had become three polyps in the last 2 weeks. Also my papaya cloves and gold cloves are putting out shoots like crazy.

I'm using the stock bulbs that came with the fixture and everything seems to be doing great since switching to this fixture. I had one polyp of Devil's Armor zoa that had become three polyps in the last 2 weeks. Also my papaya cloves and gold cloves are putting out shoots like crazy.

nice! Looks like Im going to be ordering that light tonight :)

nice! Looks like Im going to be ordering that light tonight :)

Its great for the price. They only issue is that the bracket doesn't fit perfect on a standard 10 gallon, but they fit well enough to work. Me and a couple other people who have it ended up suspending it above the tank anyway because it tends to heat the water up too much. I removed the bracket and have it hanging 4 inches about my tank and now its perfect :)

Its great for the price. They only issue is that the bracket doesn't fit perfect on a standard 10 gallon, but they fit well enough to work. Me and a couple other people who have it ended up suspending it above the tank anyway because it tends to heat the water up too much. I removed the bracket and have it hanging 4 inches about my tank and now its perfect :)

do u have any pics?

do u have any pics?

Here's what it looks like suspended above the tank.

ek0x7c.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of it sitting on the brackets, but the problem is that they are spaced a bit too wide even when they are pushed in all the way, so they just barely sit on the edge of the rim. Since neither is snug up against the rim, bumping it at all will slide it one way or the other and make it drop a bit. Not a big deal its just the light sits about a half inch crooked when it drops on one side.

I drew you pictures of what I mean.

jf9t29.png

See how there's a gap between the end of the bracket and the tank wall?

So then you bump it gently and this happens...

ws08wl.png

Its a bit exaggerated in the picture. It will just be a little bit crooked when that happens.

I drew you pictures of what I mean.

jf9t29.png

See how there's a gap between the end of the bracket and the tank wall?

So then you bump it gently and this happens...

ws08wl.png

Its a bit exaggerated in the picture. It will just be a little bit crooked when that happens.

^yup. same problem here. since i don't have anything to hang the light from i have one end sitting properly, and i just cut and hot glued a peice of black rectangular plastic (part of the wife's extra sofa foot from ikea :lol: ) to the rim of the tank and it supports it so that it's pretty much level. so far i don't have any problems with heat but most people have.

^yup. same problem here. since i don't have anything to hang the light from i have one end sitting properly, and i just cut and hot glued a peice of black rectangular plastic (part of the wife's extra sofa foot from ikea :lol: ) to the rim of the tank and it supports it so that it's pretty much level. so far i don't have any problems with heat but most people have.

Haha, that was pretty much going to be my solution until I realized the heat issue and decided to mount it. Its definitely a problem you can fix and the light is still worth it considering the price. Also, it looks pretty suspended if you have that option :)

P.S. - gotta love my PPT schematic. I realized how hard that was to explain without a picture, haha

marinebiologist

I had that same exact problem with my odyssea, I got tired of that so i eventually ordered their hanging kit, lol, its so much cleaner aesthetically and it makes maintenance a lot easier.

I had that same exact problem with my odyssea, I got tired of that so i eventually ordered their hanging kit, lol, its so much cleaner aesthetically and it makes maintenance a lot easier.

Agreed! I actually just drilled through the top of the fixture and installed my own fixtures from Home Depot to suspend it.

ahh I was actually trying to avoid having to mount or hang it... Actually, I'm moving to a bigger apartment in a couple weeks so mounting or hanging something now would be kind of dumb on my part ( the new apt is in the same aparment complex so moving shouldn't be too difficult ) upgraaaaading! :)

maybe ill just wait and save up a little more for a couple of them boostled par38's

edit: thank you for the pictures tho! Really gave me a better understanding of the fixture for sure ;)

ahh I was actually trying to avoid having to mount or hang it... Actually, I'm moving to a bigger apartment in a couple weeks so mounting or hanging something now would be kind of dumb on my part ( the new apt is in the same aparment complex so moving shouldn't be too difficult ) upgraaaaading! :)

maybe ill just wait and save up a little more for a couple of them boostled par38's

edit: thank you for the pictures tho! Really gave me a better understanding of the fixture for sure ;)

You're welcome! Good luck with the move! Btw, you have a thread for your tank right? I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment. Can you post the link?

Archived