ReefCleaners.org

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! I think its really starting to come together.

Just a preview for what's to come next...

2d3ygl.jpg

AC70 fuge mod. Lily (the cat) apparently decided that she will be assisting.

14aberd.jpg

I love that Lily gets as excited about aquarium-related deliveries as I do. She gets to play with the boxes!

This will be the first thing I've mod-ed on the tank, so wish me luck! I'll post pictures this evening of the process.

Is there a solution or something you need to have to calibrate it?

I use RO water but I also have a solution with the salinity at 1.026 to calibrate by as well. It's just easier for me to go to my RO tap...plus it's free and I don't run out of it.

I use RO water but I also have a solution with the salinity at 1.026 to calibrate by as well. It's just easier for me to go to my RO tap...plus it's free and I don't run out of it.

Ok thanks! I've got nano-pure water in the lab I work in that's even more pure than RO, so the salinity will is definitely zero. I use that to calibrate it.

I was on the website for the LFS I've been going to for coral and they posted this new open brain coral they had gotten in. It was listed for only $40, which is like half the price I've seen comparable ones at other places so I just had to go check it out.

I got there are its huge and gorgeous. Its a BRIGHT red with a glowing teal center and edges. Unfortunately, it was in the $80 section at the store. I explained to them that is was $40 on the site and they gave it to me for that price. What a deal! Here it is!

15nuf74.jpg

1xyrnm.jpg

Also while I was there, the LFS employee was moving this HUGE acan echinata colony from the $120 section to the $50 section. I asked why and he said it was because they had had it for too long and it was taking up space they wanted for new frags. So they were lowering the price a ton to get rid of it quickly. I couldn't resist, haha. Its a mix of green, red, orange, and baby blue. I can't get a picture to really do the colors justice, but here it is!

250l849.jpg

The LFS I go to gives you a $10 frag for every two frags you buy, but the employee saw me eyeing this two headed pink lobo frag for $30, so he gave that to me as my free frag. Yay! Here it is!

2cfbn9v.jpg

Photos of the AC70 fuge mod. The skinny chamber I made on the left side will be packed with filter floss on the bottom and then a Purigen insert on top of that. The big right side chamber will house my heater and some chaeto. Now I just have to wait 48 hours for the silicone to completely cure.

1t1rwo.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

15nuf74.jpg

1xyrnm.jpg

omgomgomgomgomgomg

LOVE it! Mine is supposed to come today!!!!!! Sweet deal you got!!!!

Everything looks awesome. You take great pictures :) Love the fuge too!

The AC70 looks good.

Thanks! I couldn't believe it was on sale for $35 on Amazon, so I decided I had to try out this fuge thing. I'm interested to see what effect it has on water quality over my AC20 running the stock media.

omgomgomgomgomgomg

LOVE it! Mine is supposed to come today!!!!!! Sweet deal you got!!!!

Everything looks awesome. You take great pictures :) Love the fuge too!

I couldn't believe they screwed up so much to have the price 50% off on their website. It worked out in my favor though! Its soooo pretty and is a great addition to the empty sand bed in the front. I can't wait to see yours!

Thanks for the compliments. I have to take about a million pictures with my little point and shoot to get a decent one. I've gotten pretty good with fiddling with the settings on it over the years, so that helps too. :)

Oh, and did I mention?...

I'm going to get a mandarin! The LFS I got the coral from gets ones that are trained on brine and mysis pretty regularly and I found out yesterday that they only charge $35 for them. Most other places I've seen trained ones charge like $60, which is too much for a fish which could die from some little issue IMO. The LFS took my name down to call me everytime they get one in, so as soon as I get my other fish out of QT I'll get one. Yay! :)

Any pics of the new fuge installed? Curious to see how much hangs above and behind the tank. I'm looking on TruAqua.com at the HOB filter that has a built in surface skimmer. I'm starting to get just a little bit of oil on the surface. Here's a link: http://truaqua.com/aquatop-power-filter-wi...mmer-pfe-9.html Or there is this one too, HOB w/protein skimmer: http://truaqua.com/aquatop-protein-skimmer...lter-pse-1.html But that's currently out of stock.

Any pics of the new fuge installed? Curious to see how much hangs above and behind the tank. I'm looking on TruAqua.com at the HOB filter that has a built in surface skimmer. I'm starting to get just a little bit of oil on the surface. Here's a link: http://truaqua.com/aquatop-power-filter-wi...mmer-pfe-9.html Or there is this one too, HOB w/protein skimmer: http://truaqua.com/aquatop-protein-skimmer...lter-pse-1.html But that's currently out of stock.

I haven't looked into skimmers at all because so far I haven't noticed any film on my water. I think the once a week water change takes care of it pretty well. I won't be abe to install the fuge until tomorrow because the silicone has to have 48 hours to cure. I'll post pics as soon as I get it set up. You can also mod the AC70 to be a skimmer of you're interested in that. Here's a link:

Oh, and my order from PYA did go out yesterday, so its supposed to arrive tomorrow. Yay!

You're getting a mandarin???? SOOOO jealous! I just don't have enough room for everything I want :)

I will definitely enjoy seeing yours. You'll have to do a video :)

oh...and your new avatar is adorable!

You're getting a mandarin???? SOOOO jealous! I just don't have enough room for everything I want :)

I will definitely enjoy seeing yours. You'll have to do a video :)

I saw one in the store when I was first setting up my tank and absolutely fell in love with them, but after reading about all of the problems with feeding them I decided I wasn't experienced enough to handle it. I would be really sad if one died on me because I couldn't get it to eat. So I got clowns instead.

After the brooklynella incident, I have space for another fish and I still REALLY want a mandarin. So my plan was to set up an entire pod culture system to feed it. I even ordered a bunch of mason jars and airline tubing. When I found out I could get a trained one for $35 I decided that was an even better plan, so I'm definitely going to get one. I just have to wait patiently until they get one in at the store. I will of course post pictures and videos as soon as I get one. I told them I'd take either the standard kind or a spotted because they are bother so cute.

oh...and your new avatar is adorable!

Thanks! I finally found one that suits me. Scuba diving, a cat, and fish all in one picture pretty much sums me up. If we could just add some sciency lab equipment in there it would be perfect, haha. :)

That's awesome that you have a source for already trained mandarins!

I was wondering how the Yellow watchman goby acts in your tank? I'm thinking of getting one, but do they stir the sand a lot? I know you have the pistol so he probably kicks it up. But did you have the YWG first? If so, how was he by himself?

That's awesome that you have a source for already trained mandarins!

I was wondering how the Yellow watchman goby acts in your tank? I'm thinking of getting one, but do they stir the sand a lot? I know you have the pistol so he probably kicks it up. But did you have the YWG first? If so, how was he by himself?

Yeah, I was excited I could get one trained for a reasonable price. I think the mandarin will be the perfect final fish for the tank.

My YWG is quite the character. I did get him first and he was in the tank without the pistol shrimp for quite a while. The way I had stacked the rocks there was a natural cave he decided to make into his home, so he didn't have to dig much. He just moved the sand a bit to make his little mound at the entry. Once that was there the only time he kicked up sand was if you startled him when he was all the way out of his cave eating and he darted back in really quickly. He was ok with you looking at him if he was sitting on his mound with his back half in his cave though. Also, he let the firefish live in his home with him and they live in the same decoration in the QT tank too, haha. Anyways, I would highly recommend one!

The pistol shrimp has chilled on the sand moving now that he has his home all built. The sand was moving all over for days, although I never saw it stirred up, there would just be completely different mounds in the morning. He's got his burrow now and his latest job seems to be building a wall out of empty hermit shells and little rocks around the entrance. Apparently he felt the need to fortify his house, haha.

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered the YWG and purple firefish from liveaquaria :)

Did you get your coral shipment from Phil yet? Let me know how your magicians are. Mine haven't opened yet and usually things are open by the next day for me, if not the same day.

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered the YWG and purple firefish from liveaquaria :)

Did you get your coral shipment from Phil yet? Let me know how your magicians are. Mine haven't opened yet and usually things are open by the next day for me, if not the same day.

You're welcome! You'll enjoy both of those fish I'm sure :)

I did get my shipment this morning around 10:30 am, so everything has been in the tank for 6 hours. My ricordea is open (not fully, but a decent amound), but my magician palys are still completely closed. I've never ordered online, so I don't know how long they usually take to recover. Also, it was in the 50's here this morning and there were no heat packs in the box, so the water the coral was in seemed pretty cold. Hopefully they'll open up soon. Btw, I got 4 polyps of the palys even though I only ordered 2. How many did you get?

You're welcome! You'll enjoy both of those fish I'm sure :)

I did get my shipment this morning around 10:30 am, so everything has been in the tank for 6 hours. My ricordea is open (not fully, but a decent amound), but my magician palys are still completely closed. I've never ordered online, so I don't know how long they usually take to recover. Also, it was in the 50's here this morning and there were no heat packs in the box, so the water the coral was in seemed pretty cold. Hopefully they'll open up soon. Btw, I got 4 polyps of the palys even though I only ordered 2. How many did you get?

I only have two, but it looks like a 3rd will form soon....if they open up!!!!! My lights are out now so I'll have to see what happens tomorrow. How do you like the rainbow yuma?

I only have two, but it looks like a 3rd will form soon....if they open up!!!!! My lights are out now so I'll have to see what happens tomorrow. How do you like the rainbow yuma?

At the moment its not open all the way so it looks mostly orange. I'm interested to see how it looks when it spreads all out and I can see the other colors in the center. It seems to be in decent shape though, so I'm hoping it will look great. My lights will be on for another 4 hours, so I'm hoping the palys will open.

My cloves haven't opened up yet either. Well, 2 small ones did, but not enough for me to really see how they look. Did you cloves take a while to open?

My cloves haven't opened up yet either. Well, 2 small ones did, but not enough for me to really see how they look. Did you cloves take a while to open?

Well I got mine locally, so I don't think they were as stressed as they would be from mailing them. It did take them a couple days to open though because they seemed to be really picky about flow. I had to find them the perfect spot and now they open all the way.

Well I got mine locally, so I don't think they were as stressed as they would be from mailing them. It did take them a couple days to open though because they seemed to be really picky about flow. I had to find them the perfect spot and now they open all the way.

That's interesting. What flow are they in now?

Almost none and up towards the top of the tank.

I've got mine low and in a medium to low flow. I'll see how that goes for now. I have a couple open but not all the way. My space is so limited...they better like where they are now :lol:

I've got mine low and in a medium to low flow. I'll see how that goes for now. I have a couple open but not all the way. My space is so limited...they better like where they are now :lol:

That should work. Just give them a day or two and see what happens. I know what you mean about space. I'm beginning to fill my tank up, which is a sign I should stop buying things :P

Archived