Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

I'm sure he was referring to me. Maybe I'll go check out their website and see what's new.

Yep, I'm sure he was. I've looked all through their website and the only thing I'd really want right now is a duncan, but I just don't think I have space. I've got my tank about as packed as I can get right now and still leave the proper spacing between aggressive corals. I could fit some more zoas, but they just don't really thrill me as much as other corals.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, I'm sure he was. I've looked all through their website and the only thing I'd really want right now is a duncan, but I just don't think I have space. I've got my tank about as packed as I can get right now and still leave the proper spacing between aggressive corals. I could fit some more zoas, but they just don't really thrill me as much as other corals.

I checked it out this morning and I'm with you, the only thing that interests me are the duncans, but I don't have room!!!!!!

Just an update...

The hitchhiker crab that I have been unable to catch or even get a good look at finally came out in the open today and its a blue porcelain crab! Yay, a good hitchhiker for once :)

This is a picture I found on the internet, not a picture of the actual crab in my tank, but this is what it looks like:

294teaf.jpg

woah!!! that's so awesome!!!! It's nice to hear about cool HH once in a while :)

I know! I figured it was some horrible crab that was going to start wreaking havoc on everything because I couldn't catch it. I'd actually been thinking about buying a porcelain crab, so yay!

I know! I figured it was some horrible crab that was going to start wreaking havoc on everything because I couldn't catch it. I'd actually been thinking about buying a porcelain crab, so yay!

you have some nice crabs! wait...wut? hahaha jk

it's crazy how some people get some interesting hitchhikers, i've been looking for a while now and i haven't seen anything?

your right on trying to find a pom pom crab, i can't find one anywhere locally. tank is looking great!

you have some nice crabs! wait...wut? hahaha jk

hahaha, gotta love how awkward some of the aquarium talk sounds. :P

it's crazy how some people get some interesting hitchhikers, i've been looking for a while now and i haven't seen anything?

This is my first good one. I really want some of those tiny brittle starfish but not luck so far. You can't buy the little ones at stores, you have to get them as HH's. The ones they actually sell are WAY too big for a 10 gallon. The porcelain crab was a hitchhiker on one of my frags I think, so keep watching out for things as you add new coral.

your right on trying to find a pom pom crab, i can't find one anywhere locally. tank is looking great!

The stores I kept calling looking for one mentioned they seem to be seasonal. Sometimes they get them in every week and sometimes they don't get any from the supplier for a long time. Just keep checking and hopefully eventually you'll find one. It took me a couple weeks of persistently calling 3 different LFS's to track one down.

Not sure what size your zebra hermits are but these do get fairly large. Not like a Halloween crab but about the size of an electric blue hermit. The problem here is that they get highly aggressive. These things have a Big claw and put on a big fight.

Half dozen zebras and two electric blue hermits went into my tank earlier in the year. There is one large zebra in my 36g now. No other hermits of comparable size. one or two zebras that are still small. Seems I have half the red and blue leg hermits that I started with.

I took the large zebra out and put it in with another large zebra I have in my mantis tank. I had to separate them immediately.

Not sure what size your zebra hermits are but these do get fairly large. Not like a Halloween crab but about the size of an electric blue hermit. The problem here is that they get highly aggressive. These things have a Big claw and put on a big fight.

Half dozen zebras and two electric blue hermits went into my tank earlier in the year. There is one large zebra in my 36g now. No other hermits of comparable size. one or two zebras that are still small. Seems I have half the red and blue leg hermits that I started with.

I took the large zebra out and put it in with another large zebra I have in my mantis tank. I had to separate them immediately.

I didn't realize they were any more agressive or got any larger than blue leg hermits or scarlet hermits. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on them and remove them if they become an issue.

I didn't realize they were any more agressive or got any larger than blue leg hermits or scarlet hermits. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on them and remove them if they become an issue.

I thought they were peacefull as well. A nice addition to the tank. After the attack, I started doing some googling on their aggression and many people claim them to be very aggressive.

I thought they were peacefull as well. A nice addition to the tank. After the attack, I started doing some googling on their aggression and many people claim them to be very aggressive.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know to look out for any aggression from them.

So I finally got my new refractometer in the mail. The engineer/lab geek part of me is so entertained. This thing totally looks like lab equipment with its box and pipettes...actually now that I think about it we probably have one of these in my lab at school haha. Anyways, I'm going to try it out for the first time tonight, so I'm excited about that.

Also, I may be getting my frozen brine eating Mandarin this week. The issue is that its over an hour from my house, so its kind of a drive to go pick it up. Luckily one of my friends works right near there and commutes from Berkeley (where I live). Hopefully I can work it out so that he can pick it up for me on his way home from work. My only worry with that is that he's not in the hobby so I don't know that he could look at the fish and tell if its healthy. Also, I'd like to have the lady that is selling on Craigslist feed it in front of me to prove that it really does eat frozen brine. I'm not sure if my friend will want to deal with that. We'll see if I can work it out. Oh, and its a male green mandarin for only $25, so not bad.

I may be getting my frozen brine eating Mandarin this week.

Exciting!!!!! :happydance:

Has your rainbow yuma colored up yet or opened all the way yet? I ended up moving my cloves to the top of the tank. They needed more light. I had to cut out a kenya and put them in it's place. I'm waiting for them to get some color :)

Has your rainbow yuma colored up yet or opened all the way yet? I ended up moving my cloves to the top of the tank. They needed more light. I had to cut out a kenya and put them in it's place. I'm waiting for them to get some color :)

It seems to be open all the way now and the colors look pretty good. Its just so tiny its hard to really tell its rainbow colored unless you're looking closely at it. I think it will be much more impressive looking when it gets bigger.

Yeah, my papaya cloves are up at the very top of the tank and are currently growing like crazy. They've tripled in number of polyps since I got them, so they seem to like quite a bit of light.

It seems to be open all the way now and the colors look pretty good. Its just so tiny its hard to really tell its rainbow colored unless you're looking closely at it. I think it will be much more impressive looking when it gets bigger.

Yeah, my papaya cloves are up at the very top of the tank and are currently growing like crazy. They've tripled in number of polyps since I got them, so they seem to like quite a bit of light.

That's what I read too...they love the light. Right now mine have zero color (besides pink). They did come with some fluorescent orange (never saw any green) so I know they have potential. I'll just have to wait and see :)

That's what I read too...they love the light. Right now mine have zero color (besides pink). They did come with some fluorescent orange (never saw any green) so I know they have potential. I'll just have to wait and see :)

Good luck! I bet they'll do great now that you found them a good spot. Mine looked very blah until I finally found a place they liked. Did you just relocate the kenya tree coral or did you remove it all together?

surgicalsense
Just an update...

The hitchhiker crab that I have been unable to catch or even get a good look at finally came out in the open today and its a blue porcelain crab! Yay, a good hitchhiker for once :)

This is a picture I found on the internet, not a picture of the actual crab in my tank, but this is what it looks like:

294teaf.jpg

That is pretty cool. I want one of those, but I think I need to wait still?

That is pretty cool. I want one of those, but I think I need to wait still?

Yeah its a pretty awesome crab. I'm sure you can find one online or at an LFS. I'm happy I lucked out and got one as a freebie! How long has your tank been set up?

Almost 3 months old.

I doubt you need to wait for adding one then. As long as your water quality is good I'm sure a crab would be fine.

Good luck! I bet they'll do great now that you found them a good spot. Mine looked very blah until I finally found a place they liked. Did you just relocate the kenya tree coral or did you remove it all together?

I cut it out and dropped it on the right side of the tank. It wasn't releasing any nasties so I figure it was safe to do. It still looks pissed today, but it will be ok. There was some tissue left on the rock but I glued and puttied the cloves over the top of it :)

I cut it out and dropped it on the right side of the tank. It wasn't releasing any nasties so I figure it was safe to do. It still looks pissed today, but it will be ok. There was some tissue left on the rock but I glued and puttied the cloves over the top of it :)

Glad to hear you kept it because I like the kenya tree. My silly rainbow yuma decided the other day that it didn't like its spot. It seemed to be happy there and then all of a sudden it started walking around. I kept finding it shifted by a few inches each day. Then this morning I saw that its down in the sand. I guess when I get home I need to find it a new spot, which I don't have a lot of left and I wanted it front and center since its one of the most colorful corals. Silly coral.

Mushrooms can be sooooo finicky! Did the yuma release from the rock? Hopefully it's still attached to something. Makes it easier to keep it where you want it...as I'm sure you already know :)

Just read through your thread. Looks like you're progressing nicely! Tanks looking good as well :) Cute cat too! Sorry to hear about your magicians though :(

I noticed a few pages back you were having trouble with your Odyssea light brackets...I had an Odyssea fixture on my first tank and had the exact same problem. What I did to fix it was slide the brackets all the way out, flip them over, and put them back in. This allowed for me to adjust to the size I wanted and it would fit as tight as I needed. I know you have your light mounted above the tank now, but I just wanted to share!

Keep up the good work :)

Mushrooms can be sooooo finicky! Did the yuma release from the rock? Hopefully it's still attached to something. Makes it easier to keep it where you want it...as I'm sure you already know :)

When I got it from PYA it was attached to this tiny tiny tiny rock that was really hard to place it so it would stay in place. I couldn't even super glue it because I couldn't get leverage to push it in place while the glue was drying without just pushing on the middle of the yuma, which I didn't want to do. I had it wedged in place and the yuma seemed to have spread out its foot to attach to the surrounding rock in addition to its tiny rock. Its still attached to the tiny rock, but is currently sitting down in the sand. I'll have to find a better way to anchor it in place until its completely attached I guess.

Just read through your thread. Looks like you're progressing nicely! Tanks looking good as well :) Cute cat too! Sorry to hear about your magicians though :(

Thanks! Other than the palys things seem to be going pretty well right now. Oh well, they didn't cost much at least.

I noticed a few pages back you were having trouble with your Odyssea light brackets...I had an Odyssea fixture on my first tank and had the exact same problem. What I did to fix it was slide the brackets all the way out, flip them over, and put them back in. This allowed for me to adjust to the size I wanted and it would fit as tight as I needed. I know you have your light mounted above the tank now, but I just wanted to share!

Thanks for the info! That's good to know in case I ever have to move the tank or something and can no longer mount the light. I wonder why they manufacture it with brackets that don't even fit the standard size tank its made for, haha.

Archived