Pod Your Reef

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just get a small extension cord rated for the same power needs and tie it up behind your tank. Probably need a three outlet plug for the end of the cord.

Or you could drop another $500 and get two MP10w's....

Update? I feel like you were more active when there was no water in your tank. After you cycle you should get some NPS. That way you don't need a light. Lol

Thats some funny stuff right there!!! I cant imagine standing on a lader and then wizin into your tank and thinking this is how you do it! :lol::lol::lol:

IF you have skilz you won't need a ladder.

saltwatercoral
Update? I feel like you were more active when there was no water in your tank. After you cycle you should get some NPS. That way you don't need a light. Lol

Sorry, but it's kinda hard to update when there is not realy any updates, lol. It does seam like my ammonia is starting to fall, so I believe that this is a good sign as the cycle I believe is starting. I did put a shelf up on the wall so that I could put the IPad on it with the "Ireef" and "mymobilereef" apps on it to see which one I like. Here are a few pics of that...

51905528.jpg

9bd4da9e.jpg

2a87cca6.jpg

saltwatercoral

Just did my first good clean out today. I cleaned all filter sponges and replaced the filter sock. I was cleaning the filter sock but they have that dirty look to them so I replaced them with new filter socks. I cleaned the tank glass and the acrylic sump. Cleaned out the skimmer cup and topped of the water (again). My SG is 1.025 and my ph is 8.14 and the temp is 77.8

The ammonia is dropping after doing several tests so it looks good! Should I be doing a water change or just let it go for the tank to cycle?

You'll be doing top offs constantly until you get an ATO. Then you'll be filling up the reservoir constantly instead. Lol

Ammo should be close to .5-0 and nitrates should be high. Then water change. Get nitrates close to 5-0 then add cleanup. But in your case since you have nothing really to clean...I guess I'd wait on a cuc. You should get a cheap t5 light or something just to light up the thing until the vega is released.

You'll be doing top offs constantly until you get an ATO. Then you'll be filling up the reservoir constantly instead. Lol

Ammo should be close to .5-0 and nitrates should be high. Then water change. Get nitrates close to 5-0 then add cleanup. But in your case since you have nothing really to clean...I guess I'd wait on a cuc. You should get a cheap t5 light or something just to light up the thing until the vega is released.

+1 No Water change yet. You will just prolong the cycle if you do one now. Now that your Ammonia is falling, your Nitrites should be rising. Once they peak you should see Nitrates climbing. Wait until both Ammonia and Nitrites are low and Nitrates are high before massive water change.

I'm planning a 48x24x20 rimless build and asked AI about lighting. Their answer was interesting and I wanted to share it with you. My question was whether 2 x SOL or 2 x VEGA would give me the best coverage and the difference in optics of both.

Justin's answer: "To be honest, you could go either way with this as far as the model goes. However, if you are looking at going full blown SPS with this, I would strongly recommend 3-4 Sol's or 3 Vegas as well. 2 is not enough light in my opinion. Coverage and depth on your tank will not be a problem with either model, as long as you can mount/suspend your lighting 8-12" AWL. The differences in optics are that the Vega has been engineered with more "even distribution" optics. They are the same optics that are also located within our Nano. If you had a DD tank, I would recommend going with the Sol without a doubt, but in your case, either one should fit the bill."

I was really hoping 2 VEGA would be perfect and be plenty for SPS. What I gathered from this was that SOL have better depth and VEGA have slightly better spread... What are your thoughts?

saltwatercoral

Thanks for the follow up pschom! It does look like I need to get an ATO for my system... I can see why they are needed now. I may just jump and get 3 SOLS instead of 2 VEGA's. After what SynRG posted what AI said about the diff in units it sounds like s SOLs is what I may want to do.

+1 No Water change yet. You will just prolong the cycle if you do one now. Now that your Ammonia is falling, your Nitrites should be rising. Once they peak you should see Nitrates climbing. Wait until both Ammonia and Nitrites are low and Nitrates are high before massive water change.

I'm planning a 48x24x20 rimless build and asked AI about lighting. Their answer was interesting and I wanted to share it with you. My question was whether 2 x SOL or 2 x VEGA would give me the best coverage and the difference in optics of both.

Justin's answer: "To be honest, you could go either way with this as far as the model goes. However, if you are looking at going full blown SPS with this, I would strongly recommend 3-4 Sol's or 3 Vegas as well. 2 is not enough light in my opinion. Coverage and depth on your tank will not be a problem with either model, as long as you can mount/suspend your lighting 8-12" AWL. The differences in optics are that the Vega has been engineered with more "even distribution" optics. They are the same optics that are also located within our Nano. If you had a DD tank, I would recommend going with the Sol without a doubt, but in your case, either one should fit the bill."

I was really hoping 2 VEGA would be perfect and be plenty for SPS. What I gathered from this was that SOL have better depth and VEGA have slightly better spread... What are your thoughts?

My thought after seeing this is that the biggest difference is the optics. From what Justin’s response was is that the DD tanks need the SOLS due to the optics being better for depth and the Vega's optics are better for a shallower sys and better for the spread. If I just get 3 SOLS's vs 2 Vega's it sounds like I will be able to do what ever I want with the setup as far as corals go. Decisions decisions....

My thought after seeing this is that the biggest difference is the optics. From what Justin’s response was is that the DD tanks need the SOLS due to the optics being better for depth and the Vega's optics are better for a shallower sys and better for the spread. If I just get 3 SOLS's vs 2 Vega's it sounds like I will be able to do what ever I want with the setup as far as corals go. Decisions decisions....

That's precisely why I wanted to share the info with you. Even though your tank is not "deep" at 24", it sounds to me like 2 SOLS would get you started and you could add a 3rd if you want to do more SPS or found the coverage lacking. I know you have been waiting a long time as I have for the VEGA release. I'm sure they will be sweet, but I was thinking 2 VEGA on a 48x24x20 would be plenty for Clams on SB and SPS in the low rock work, but...

saltwatercoral
That's precisely why I wanted to share the info with you. Even though your tank is not "deep" at 24", it sounds to me like 2 SOLS would get you started and you could add a 3rd if you want to do more SPS or found the coverage lacking. I know you have been waiting a long time as I have for the VEGA release. I'm sure they will be sweet, but I was thinking 2 VEGA on a 48x24x20 would be plenty for Clams on SB and SPS in the low rock work, but...

You do have a point. It snot like the SOLS are bad. They are the exact opposite actually. I have only heard great things and had one on my 45 cube (never was filled though, LOL) and loved it! I may just end up doing the 3 SOL’s over my $ PIT! What are you going to do?

fish corals inverts oh my

LOL omgomgomg

saltwatercoral
I would never do that to my iPad... Light switchs... That scares me :scarry:

LOL it was resting on the light switches but I had taped the switches so that they wouldnt fall down. I put just a smidge more thought into this one, LOL.

saltwatercoral

After another water test it still looks like Amonia is falling but te Nitrites are still undetectable. The temp, ph and SG are still on point. The water was starting to cloud a small amount a day or to ago so after the good cleaning and replacing the filter sock the water is looking so much better. I know sence this is my first setup I am looking ever so closely so it may just be me though, lol. I am going to test about every other day to see find the rise in Nitrites. I'll keep u all posted on updates as I get them! I am hopeing to go this weekend and get 2 more pc4 power strips for the ReefKeeper and posably a few more probes. That alone will set me back a few more hundred $$$! I can't wait to see some life (wanted life) in this thing!!!

can't wait to see some life (wanted life) in this thing!!!

Haha. You should plan on seeing some unwanted life in there as well. I think I've had almost every negative hitchhiker known so far. Worst thing was flatworms. Do EVERYTHING you can to avoid those bastards. I still remember when moved to Montgomery county, I put all rocks and everything in three buckets with power heads and dosed double the recommended amount of Saliferts flatworm exit and let it sit for a couple hours. Lol. I should make a list of pest creatures I've had. But everyone else has had them so it's probably not that interesting.

Very nice tank. I have the 180g ver. But still no water in it. Just got my utility sink plumbed into the garage and need new filters for the ro/di. After seeing your tank I almost considered downsizing... But what's another 60 gallons eh.. Will be going the led route as well. Trying to justify the expense by not having to buy an $800-1200 chiller.

saltwatercoral
Very nice tank. I have the 180g ver. But still no water in it. Just got my utility sink plumbed into the garage and need new filters for the ro/di. After seeing your tank I almost considered downsizing... But what's another 60 gallons eh.. Will be going the led route as well. Trying to justify the expense by not having to buy an $800-1200 chiller.

Thanks for the compliment MikeTR! 180g!!!! Nice. I would stick with that! Don't go t5 or MH, go Aqua Illumination! Check out the link below on the "Aqua Illuminations Club" and see all the crazy nice looking tanks! That is where it's at! Looking forward to seeing your tank up! Keep me posted!

saltwatercoral

After really thinking it over I decided the optics on the SOL is what I wanted for my tank! Sooooooo, I just placed my order for my 3 BLACK SOL SUPER BLUE's with the controller. I ordered them from ReefGeek and they had everything including the CONTROLLER in stock! Aqua cave also had the CONTROLLER in stock as well!. I know alot of people are looking for just the controllers so thought I would put that out there. Man this hobby is expen$ive!!!

After really thinking it over I decided the optics on the SOL is what I wanted for my tank! Sooooooo, I just placed my order for my 3 BLACK SOL SUPER BLUE's with the controller. I ordered them from ReefGeek and they had everything including the CONTROLLER in stock! Aqua cave also had the CONTROLLER in stock as well!. I know alot of people are looking for just the controllers so thought I would put that out there. Man this hobby is expen$ive!!!

Awesome!!! Reef Geek's customer service is awesome, great bunch of people. And you'll get a surprise in the package when it arrives!

saltwatercoral
Awesome!!! Reef Geek's customer service is awesome, great bunch of people. And you'll get a surprise in the package when it arrives!

Surprise?

Archived