inTank Media Baskets

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

Alright it took me about 3 hrs but I think I have the rock work the way I like it... (for now). I will post pics here soon. Let me know what yall think of the scape before I putty it up and make it solid...

Stay tuned...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright it took me about 3 hrs but I think I have the rock work the way I like it... (for now). I will post pics here soon. Let me know what yall think of the scape before I putty it up and make it solid...

Stay tuned...

...Patiently waiting

And living vicariously through you :)

saltwatercoral

Fusilar Damsels? That I have not seen yet. Ill check e’m out, Thanks!

Now I found out that once you have it the way you want it and then take it down to put the putty in and put the rock the same way you had it before, you can never seam to get it the way you had it before... Any way this is what my final outcome looks like. It took me all together about 5-6hrs getting the rock just right and to a place where I am happy with it. I wanted a scape where the fish could swim through the rock in multiple places as well as serve a good coral placement. So Ill stop talking and start showin...

Front

Front.jpg

Sand Bed in front of the rock

SandbedinfrontoftheRock.jpg

Top down

Toplookingdown.jpg

Behind the rock between the glass

Spacebetweentherockandbackofthetank.jpg

Final Outcome

EntiresetupwiththeRockandsandinplace.jpg

Scape looks great! I love how you have a good amount of open space in the front. I've learned that it's hot real estate on the substrate floor...

Now get some water in that thing ;)

saltwatercoral
Scape looks great! I love how you have a good amount of open space in the front. I've learned that it's hot real estate on the substrate floor...

Now get some water in that thing ;)

Thanks! I am hoping to have this plumbed up today! (fingers crossed). Then I just need to brace the floor and then it gets wet!

Thanks! I am hoping to have this plumbed up today! (fingers crossed). Then I just need to brace the floor and then it gets wet!

Yay! I'll cross my fingers for you too! :D

saltwatercoral
Yay! I'll cross my fingers for you too! :D

Thanks! The earliest I can start my plumbing is around 7-8 and it's 3:30 my time. It may be a long night...

saltwatercoral

Good news! I was able to start my plubming but was not aboe to finish it because I did not have a few Valve pieces that I wanted to put in to shut the water off manualy for cleaning if I wanted... I am hopeing to have it finished tonight! Then the floor will get braced and then.... WATER!!! LOL

Now another question... My tank it going to hold about 150 gallons of water. I have a new 30 gallon brute trash can. Is this ok if it gets filled over a period of a few days? Or does it all need to be done at the same time? My RO/DI unit can produce about 90gpd at most...

redwhiteandblue

fill it over 2 days. i had the same issue. i made up 70gal of mix, then made more. it ended up taking 2 days. just turn a powerhead on in there and you will be ok if its not running through the sump. i went two days without a heater as well

saltwatercoral
fill it over 2 days. i had the same issue. i made up 70gal of mix, then made more. it ended up taking 2 days. just turn a powerhead on in there and you will be ok if its not running through the sump. i went two days without a heater as well

Thanks redwhiteandblue! It looks like I will get one more trash can and do it your way. Our outside trash cans look well used so I will replace it with the newer on when I'm don't the initial fill!

redwhiteandblue
Thanks redwhiteandblue! It looks like I will get one more trash can and do it your way. Our outside trash cans look well used so I will replace it with the newer on when I'm don't the initial fill!

no prob. and FYI, dont expect your rodi to get max gpd during the winter....unless your lines are warmed up. im lucky to get 35 of 75 gpd in mine with the COLD water. i notice a huge difference on a 30 degree day vs a 65 degree day.

yours may be different, but i didnt factor this into mine when i did the initial fill....

saltwatercoral
no prob. and FYI, dont expect your rodi to get max gpd during the winter....unless your lines are warmed up. im lucky to get 35 of 75 gpd in mine with the COLD water. i notice a huge difference on a 30 degree day vs a 65 degree day.

yours may be different, but i didnt factor this into mine when i did the initial fill....

O shnap. Do you have well water? I have city water (yikes i know), do you still think that this will still efect the output?

redwhiteandblue
O shnap. Do you have well water? I have city water (yikes i know), do you still think that this will still efect the output?

im on city, but the water is much cooler in the winter which is odd since water line is set in the ground where the temp should always be 56 degrees no matter how cold or hot it is. the membranes in rodi units perform better at warmer temps based on what ive read. you cant run hot water through it so some people take lets say 10' of line from the tap, coil it up and stuff it in a bucket of hot water and connect the other end to the unit to assist with the efficiency. i dont do this, i just except the fact that i will not make as much when its cold.

....in all reality, i could just be crazy.....

saltwatercoral

ARIGHT, my plumbing is finally finished!!! It took a while due to this being my first time but its almost time to get it wet. I am going to try to brace the floor tomorrow and then this weekend it will get some water in it! Here are a few shots of it all plumbed up!

Top looking down into the OverFlow

ToplookingdownintotheOverflow.jpg

Sump area all done. Its not organized just yet, but it will be...

Plumbingisalldone.jpg

Looking good!! Only note tho is that I found that the flex tubing you are using is very nosey because the water runs over the rivits. Just FYI.

saltwatercoral
Looking good!! Only note tho is that I found that the flex tubing you are using is very nosey because the water runs over the rivits. Just FYI.

Thanks for that. I might see if I can just get a piece of the clear tube and sbsitute that out... The clear tube is not noisy right?

Thanks!

Much less noisy. I tend to use PVC plumbing with 45 degree joints, I just like the look of it personally. But you are correct that the clear tubing is much less noisy, plus you can see all the bacteria that grows on the lining. DONT CLEAN IT. Its like live rock in your plumbing lol.

saltwatercoral
Much less noisy. I tend to use PVC plumbing with 45 degree joints, I just like the look of it personally. But you are correct that the clear tubing is much less noisy, plus you can see all the bacteria that grows on the lining. DONT CLEAN IT. Its like live rock in your plumbing lol.

Good to know! I may decide to just redo the plumbing one more time before I get it filled that way I get it done correctly like you have!

I had the tubing you have plumbed in a 75 gallon discus tank... One day was cleaning the sump and the tube got knocked out of the overflow... Yea... water every where. Ever since then I PVC glue everything.

I was going to say this. I have almost the same overflow line and it is kinda loud. I can't hear it with the cabinet closed and I kind of like hearing it in the sump. Probably cause it's my first one, but I'll probably get tired of it. Everything looks great. Can't wait to see this in action. Also, if you have your RO/DI on tap, just make the water warm...... I have it on a sink and I just turn it to hot then dial colder until it matches the tank. Then just ad a heater for a bit and it's good.

saltwatercoral
I was going to say this. I have almost the same overflow line and it is kinda loud. I can't hear it with the cabinet closed and I kind of like hearing it in the sump. Probably cause it's my first one, but I'll probably get tired of it. Everything looks great. Can't wait to see this in action. Also, if you have your RO/DI on tap, just make the water warm...... I have it on a sink and I just turn it to hot then dial colder until it matches the tank. Then just ad a heater for a bit and it's good.

I am

Planning on going to Home Depot tomorrow and getting 4x4's to brace up the floor for the 3/4 ton weight! While I'm there I'm going to get the clear tubing to replace the ridge tube that marineland supplied with the tank. Im taking in all consideration and going with what u guys/girls have learned. So bracing the floor starts tomorrow and some minor plumbing before Saturday and then Saturday the tank gets wet! I will update more pics when I get some! I know everyone loves pics! LOL!

Good luck bracing the floor. Cant wait to see this setup aswell. What are you using for lighting till Ai releases the new led setup?

Archived