Top Shelf Aquatics

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral
Does Jason Fox let you buy corals directly from him and if he does how much does he charge? Just out of curiousity...

No he only does shipping only. Here is a link to his website if ya want to check it out. He has some realy nice pieces of coral in his house. He probably has thousands and thousands of pieces of corals... He has on insane selection of coral.

Here is a youtube video of just what you can see in his basment. Incredable!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see water in your tank! It has been dehydrated for far too long B) Bet you are checking daily for the release of the Vega...

saltwatercoral
Can't wait to see water in your tank! It has been dehydrated for far too long B) Bet you are checking daily for the release of the Vega...

Every hour on the hour :D

Never knew he has a site... Guess I know where Im going broke...

You and me both!

Does Jason Fox let you buy corals directly from him and if he does how much does he charge? Just out of curiousity...

depends...and his site has been in my sig since it was put up :)

saltwatercoral

I finally am making some water! I had a leak with my RO unit and so since one of the fittings was leaking I decided to take all the fittings off and put Teflon tape on each one and them so...no more leaks!!! My water TDS level’s coming out of the foset is around 86-84ppm and the water coming out of the RO unit is at 0ppm! I left the limiter inside the unit to 12inchs so this will make me 50g gallons of water a day. I did this so it slows the water down going through the unit and filters it out more. It is slower but it is also super clean!!! I woke up this morning after letting it run all night to about 20ish gallons being made in about 7-8hrs Here are some pics! of the progress!

RO unit connected and working!

Itsallconnectedandwaterisflowing.jpg

Dumping the first few gallons made

Dumpingthefirstfewgallons.jpg

TDS meter showing water coming in at 84ppm

Watercominginat84ppm.jpg

TDS meter showing 0ppm coming out!

Finalwaterat0ppm.jpg

First batch!

Filledforabout7hrsandonlygoabout20gallons.jpg

saltwatercoral

So it looks like its going to take me till the end of the weekend to get this tank filled. The RO unit is putting out water but very slowly. Is this ok for the water to sit in the tank for a few days with no movment? There is nothing live at all in the tank just yet. I will add some live rock to the tank to jump start it when its filled with water though...

saltwatercoral

I just put the salt in and Red sea coral pro salt said that it takes 8hrs to dissolve the salt completely... 8hrs, really? I have the temp set to 77 degrees and want a 1.023 SG. It's my first batch so I have done the calculations and I put in 10 smidge smaller cups of salt into about 20-24ish gallons of water. I will see in the morning after the salt dissolves what the actual SG is and if I need to add more salt or more RO water... Can it really be this difficult to get this down to a science or does it just take time to figure it out???

Yea its pretty fun figuring out the right amount of salt to put in your container. Since i normally mix about 10gal every two weeks... I saved 4 arizona ice tea 1 gal contaniers, I put 1/2 cup of reef crystals in each container then hook up the RO/DI and start with the first gal (set timer for 28min) Cap it swap new empty container in then shake the hell out of the one i just made then add to my 5gal bucket with a korilla power head inside it to help continue to mix. And continue that cycle. Which normally gets me 1.024 in each bucket. I leave the buckets sitting for 36-48hrs then do my water change.I shortly learned it was much easier to add the salt before i put the ro/di water in. So yeah its just about getting it down to a science... Lol

i use the red sea coral pro and there is some particulate in the bottom of my mixer even if i leave it for 24 hours. i use a drill powered wine de-gasser to do my initial mixing and the water is clear in 5 minutes. i have added water in as little as 4 hrs, but i really beat the hell outta it first.

EDIT: also, i use 1/2 cup salt to 1 gal water to get to 1.024-1.025

saltwatercoral

SO after checking this morning I have my SG @ 1.023, I think I am going to raise it to 1.024 and then dump it in. I didn’t want to dump the water in the tank because I would be going right to work and if there was a leak I didn’t want to find out after hrs of it leaking on the floor... So when I get home the water is dumping into the tank and the second batch is going be made! Ill post pic’s of the long awaited tank getting water in for everyone (and my own) satisfaction :D

It does cloud up real quick but clears up with the pump running very quickly though... Just an observation...

saltwatercoral

I thought this day would never come but its finaly here! The first batch of water is in the tank and the tank is drinking it up!

First batch of water in the tank @ 1.025 SG

Firstbatchofwater1025SG.jpg

saltwatercoral

This took forever and a day! It’s finally getting there. What I am doing is each night I am putting the mixed water in the tank. I then proceed to put 11 smaller cups of salt in the Brute trashcan, start the RO unit up and check it in the morning. Before I leave for work it is filled exactly where I need it and then I plug the heater and pump in and let it go for the day to dissolve... My second batch should be ready to put in when i get home. I should need to do this for about 5-6 more days and it should be full! At least I am kind of figuring the process out now, lol.

Archived