SaltCritters.com

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
Finally. i will no longer be the one with the newest "large" tank lol.

this setup is gonna be sweet. what you gonna seed the rock with?

I think about 20lbs of live figi rock. I think I'm also going to dose with ammonia to get the cycle started as well.

saltwatercoral

My sand was originally goin to be delivered last Friday but it wasnt. I was going to call Tomorow to see what was going on but I did another check and it finally was here in Maryland this morning. I am guessing that it will be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest!

I finished taping, edging and painting so the wife is happy now. So the only thing left to do now is brace the floor and plumb the tank... Then fill! Less than a week till I get water in the $ Pit. I was told to get the wet kind because it's sexier! Where do I get the sexy wet water from?

My sand was originally goin to be delivered last Friday but it wasnt. I was going to call Tomorow to see what was going on but I did another check and it finally was here in Maryland this morning. I am guessing that it will be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest!

I finished taping, edging and painting so the wife is happy now. So the only thing left to do now is brace the floor and plumb the tank... Then fill! Less than a week till I get water in the $ Pit. I was told to get the wet kind because it's sexier! Where do I get the sexy wet water from?

...if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it...lol

saltwatercoral

Alright, my sand finaly came in yesterday, all 160lbs of it! I had to put some in an see how it looked. I though I would post some pics of the painted walls while I was at it. I hate painting and hope I never have to do any more (yea right...) I also need to paint the back of the tank black as well.

Kitchen

photo4.jpg

Living room

photo3.jpg

Tank with sand in the Dining room

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

saltwatercoral
omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg:bowdown:

WOW! SWC, its looking great!

Thanks Ez! I am doing the plubming this weekend and hope to get it wet this weekend as well!

saltwatercoral
I can barely see your fridge under all those magnets!

Nice paint choice btw.

Dude I was lookin for that!!! Thanks for spyin it out for me! Now.... I spy with my little eye.. LOL what can I say the wife loves magnets :D

Sorry to rain a bit on your parade mate but...

6 Blue Green Chromis will equal 1 Blue Green Chromis after a while. They are shoaling fish not schooling fish and they, like any type of Damsel fish, are territorial which means that over time they will beat on each other until only one is left.

If you truly want multiple Chromis then go with the Blue Chromis. They are the least aggressive of the family and I have personally kept 3 in a 36 gallon for several years with no sign of aggression. They didn't "school" though. In that size tank you could do 6. The only concern with them is they are poor shippers and have "gut" issues which means that they can die pretty quickly on you so best to go to a LFS, have them order them with the understanding that you want a hold placed on them for at least 10 days before you pick them up to be sure they survive.

Alternately in that size tank if you are looking for a shoaling type fish you should consider the following:

Bartletts Anthias

Lyretail Anthias

Flame Wrasse

One male and at least three females would be good but the more females the better. Of course the Flame Wrasse are crazy expensive... ;)

As to tangs... Don't do a Hippo. They are notorious for ich, fin rot, and do not do well in your size tank. One Yellow or Nasso would be fine and would be a good addition to your CUC since they eat algae. More than that and you will be looking at trouble at some point down the road.

saltwatercoral
Sorry to rain a bit on your parade mate but...

6 Blue Green Chromis will equal 1 Blue Green Chromis after a while. They are shoaling fish not schooling fish and they, like any type of Damsel fish, are territorial which means that over time they will beat on each other until only one is left.

If you truly want multiple Chromis then go with the Blue Chromis. They are the least aggressive of the family and I have personally kept 3 in a 36 gallon for several years with no sign of aggression. They didn't "school" though. In that size tank you could do 6. The only concern with them is they are poor shippers and have "gut" issues which means that they can die pretty quickly on you so best to go to a LFS, have them order them with the understanding that you want a hold placed on them for at least 10 days before you pick them up to be sure they survive.

Alternately in that size tank if you are looking for a shoaling type fish you should consider the following:

Bartletts Anthias

Lyretail Anthias

Flame Wrasse

One male and at least three females would be good but the more females the better. Of course the Flame Wrasse are crazy expensive... ;)

As to tangs... Don't do a Hippo. They are notorious for ich, fin rot, and do not do well in your size tank. One Yellow or Nasso would be fine and would be a good addition to your CUC since they eat algae. More than that and you will be looking at trouble at some point down the road.

You didn't rain at all! I want input like this. I rather do my homework and research first rather then trial and error! Thanks Urchinhead!

saltwatercoral

Im trying to get some ideas on where everyone has there controllers mounted. I'm trying to find out where I want to put my Reef Keeper and AI controller's. I was thinking under the tank in the stand but want it visible outside if the tank. I was looking at maybe to the left of the tank on the wall.

Where do u have yours?

I have my RKL on the right side of my stand. I have seen some cool wall mounted controllers where the people used the square wire covers to hide the wires and make it look very professional

saltwatercoral
I have my RKL on the right side of my stand. I have seen some cool wall mounted controllers where the people used the square wire covers to hide the wires and make it look very professional

I just finished looking through your build and it looks real nice. J love the corals u have in there! I don't see any pics of the RKL though. Can u post a pic so I can kinda see what you have going on. When you get a chance I would appreciate it!

I just finished looking through your build and it looks real nice. J love the corals u have in there! I don't see any pics of the RKL though. Can u post a pic so I can kinda see what you have going on. When you get a chance I would appreciate it!

i will take a pic today and show ya how i have mine rigged=)

saltwatercoral
Just don't put the controllers where they can get wet... I'm having issues with that right now...

I was thinking about putting the controllers in the stand but was thinking if over time with evaporation would eventually take it's toll on them. So I thought about it and want to put them on the out side where I can have both of them visible and complement the setup as well. Just need to hide the wires so it's not an eye sore. I was thinking about running a small cover along the wall to hide the wires and paint it the same color as the wall to make it look better?

Ideas or pics of your controllers anyone?

redwhiteandblue
I was thinking about putting the controllers in the stand but was thinking if over time with evaporation would eventually take it's toll on them. So I thought about it and want to put them on the out side where I can have both of them visible and complement the setup as well. Just need to hide the wires so it's not an eye sore. I was thinking about running a small cover along the wall to hide the wires and paint it the same color as the wall to make it look better?

Ideas or pics of your controllers anyone?

i would like t osee this as well. although i am going with an apex, i would still like to see the setup. also concerned about moisture in the cabinet.......

saltwatercoral
Sorry it took me so long

Merry Christmas SWC!

tank-10.jpg

That looks nice EZ! Thanks for the pic. I took a setback lastweekend. I was oncall and it went south, So most of my time was killed. My next date to get the plumbing and bracing the floor is going to be this weekend! I'm off call now so I hope nothing else comes up now!

Archived