ReefCleaners.org

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

well, if you are in the money pit frame of mind you could always have a natural gas whole home back up generator installed. don't know the cost, and i do not want to. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
well, if you are in the money pit frame of mind you could always have a natural gas whole home back up generator installed. don't know the cost, and i do not want to. ;)

The tank name is $ Pit, but I don't want to change it to The widower, lol

redwhiteandblue

i have had a few power outages so far in my other tank, and the longest its been alone was 8 hours. everything was perfectly fine im saving for a generator and that will be my only backup. i just couldnt justify spending that kind of cash on a battery backup that only gets you a couple hours. ill take the risk and waait till i get home to start the generator. plus, the bigger the tank, the more time it takes to get cooler/hotter/waste buildup. just my 2 cents.

its sweet that your about to start this bad boy. im in for the ride

saltwatercoral
i have had a few power outages so far in my other tank, and the longest its been alone was 8 hours. everything was perfectly fine im saving for a generator and that will be my only backup. i just couldnt justify spending that kind of cash on a battery backup that only gets you a couple hours. ill take the risk and waait till i get home to start the generator. plus, the bigger the tank, the more time it takes to get cooler/hotter/waste buildup. just my 2 cents.

its sweet that your about to start this bad boy. im in for the ride

Thats not a bad idea. and its about 1 month ish and counting!

saltwatercoral

I was looking through all the junk that I have a few days ago and just realized that I did not a Refractometer... So I whent out yesterday to "Exotic Aquatics" in MD and picked myself up one! One other question I have is should I get HANNA meters to testing water parm or somthing else? They are about $50 per meter (alk, PH, nitite....) so all in all I would need to get like 5 of them to test, thats $250 for these. Is it worth it?

I was looking through all the junk that I have a few days ago and just realized that I did not a Refractometer... So I whent out yesterday to "Exotic Aquatics" in MD and picked myself up one! One other question I have is should I get HANNA meters to testing water parm or somthing else? They are about $50 per meter (alk, PH, nitite....) so all in all I would need to get like 5 of them to test, thats $250 for these. Is it worth it?

Hmm, I think that they are a better quality and they are faster and more accurate but they seem to be more expensive in all aspects. The reagents and the apparatus itself. I do not have one myself but I would like to. :)

saltwatercoral
Hmm, I think that they are a better quality and they are faster and more accurate but they seem to be more expensive in all aspects. The reagents and the apparatus itself. I do not have one myself but I would like to. :)

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
saltwatercoral
Common SWC!

when is this thing getting some water!!

LMAO! I am waiting until I come back from my cruise! I also want to start when I get my lights from Aqua Illumination! I have 2 of the NEW Pheonix on Pre-order. The only thing I really need is my lights, test kits, live rock and sand!

You need to make this thing a fish only tank with a couple T8 florescents from home depot. Just until we can all see the awesome finished product. That or you could smuggle some water, sand and rock back from the cruise. Depending on where your going I guess...Alaska probably wouldn't work.

LMAO! I am waiting until I come back from my cruise! I also want to start when I get my lights from Aqua Illumination! I have 2 of the NEW Pheonix on Pre-order. The only thing I really need is my lights, test kits, live rock and sand!

lights are not needed in the cycling stages of the tank. you can get a head start and start cycling your tank now

saltwatercoral

IF I were to start early without the AI lights... How long should I let the tank cycle? I know it depends on A TON of different things like water parameters, live rock or base... But just trying to get a balpark idea. Im going to be useing all live rock and live sand. I thing live pink fiji sand as well.

surgicalsense
SO... is that like 1 month 2 months...? AAAAA I HATE WAITING!!! :angry:

I think we lost track. LOL .... Looking forward to a neat tank of awesome. Right now I am finding it hard not to go on a coral spending spree. Specially with the holidays and gift shopping I have to do. Blah. LOL

if you are using rocks and sand from an established tank you probably wont see much of a cycle.

if you are buying live rock and sand, might take a month or more to get a good cycle. i personally wouldnt bother with live sand cuz theres nothing really live about it. might have a bunch of die off which helps kick start the ammonia stages.

if you start with dead everything, i would get some bacteria culture to add to your tank. they will help start seeding your rocks with bacteria. ive seen videos where you can start adding fish to your tank with the bacteria.

if for whatever reason you start with cooked rocks, i would treat them the same as dead rocks and add bacteria to help start the cycling.

What is the function of these? Still trying to figure all this stuff out! I have the same exact Phosban reactor. Only 1 though. Trying to find out if I shout put phosphates in it or some otjher media. Or should I get another one and do what you have? Or have 3 and run biopellets, carbon and calcium? HMMMMM

I'm not sure what you mean by running calcium. For calcium reactor you would need a specific calcium reactor with pressurized CO2 bottle, regulators, pH probes and all... And as for making "lime water or kalkwasser" in one I would advice against it as you would need ridiculously slow feed pump for it not to blow the calciumhydroxide all over your tank wreaking havock.

IMO it's perfectly safe to use GFO (granular ferric oxide / PO4 removing media) and activated carbon in the same reactor as long as you don't tumble them too much as it will grind the carbon into dust (I've done it - didn't look nice to get black sand overnight).

In my 2nd reactor I have biopellets tumbling. They are used as growth platform for beneficial bacteria helping to keep nitrates in check. It is also recommend to have the pellet reactor return aimed at the skimmer intake to extract most of the excess bacteria growth (along with absorbed nitrates). You can check out solid vodka dosing and such articles for more reference.

redwhiteandblue

screw lights for the cycle! fill this thing up man. mine took about 3 weeks to cycle (all w/o lights).

i used all BRS rock with a couple pieces if my rock from my nano.

used 120lbs of dry sand/ 15lb "live"

now, two months in, my rock is thriving with pods and green corraline with some spots of purple.

i like the home depot light idea just to get this rolling. although, most of us and prolly you too, still have extra 48" lights from freshwater tanks of the past....

I agree... Get this baby going. If you think you are sick of waiting, well so are we. We watch you pick up all this bad a$$ equipment and never get to see it working.

hurry up dammit

Ps...you could cycle it with the catfish..jk

saltwatercoral
I agree... Get this baby going. If you think you are sick of waiting, well so are we. We watch you pick up all this bad a$$ equipment and never get to see it working.

hurry up dammit

Ps...you could cycle it with the catfish..jk

Lol, the catfish might give me a jump start :lol: I guess your right, it looks like I should start it up!!! I am stil going to wait till I get back from the cruise though. But when I get back... Let the games begin!

saltwatercoral
screw lights for the cycle! fill this thing up man. mine took about 3 weeks to cycle (all w/o lights).

i used all BRS rock with a couple pieces if my rock from my nano.

used 120lbs of dry sand/ 15lb "live"

now, two months in, my rock is thriving with pods and green corraline with some spots of purple.

i like the home depot light idea just to get this rolling. although, most of us and prolly you too, still have extra 48" lights from freshwater tanks of the past....

The led strips are just for in the stand so when I need to see under there or work on something I can see what I am doing.

My only other concern would be if I get this bad boy fully cycled and still don't have my lights... What do I do? Say if AI puts a delay on there Pheonix lights :o

Archived