Top Shelf Aquatics

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

Alright, thanks for the help. If NJ is where I need to go to get his Chalice then NJ is where I am going to go!

You could give me list and I could go grab it then we can meet up...up to you.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A PBT and a Yellow should be fine together unless they're both just very hateful individuals. If added at the same time tangs typically only fight with other specimens from the same genus. If you have one tang that is territorial you have to treat it like anything else and either add a new fish that is a lot bigger or a lot smaller than it is, regardless of species.

saltwatercoral

Alright, just recieved confermation that my 100lbs of Key Largo Reef rock has been delivered. Now I just need my 160lbs of sand! To do the scape just right I am going to need some kind of AQUARIUM SAFE compund to fuse the rock together. Would Homedepot or Lowes have somthing like this?

saltwatercoral
yes... i used jb water weld and it worked great! get some loctite superglue.

there are a few good threads on here on how to epoxy rocks together. you will see aqua-mend mentioned a lot but Home depot (and other stores) does not carry that anymore

here is my first dry rock build

Nice thanks! Im going to pick somthing up here this week and start to play!

I have no clue on how I want the layout just yet... Any sugestions its a 4'X2 (48"x24") area to work with.

you can get the pc plumbing epoxy at home depot. its the grey stuff you knead together. need a lot of it so it gets expensive. look for somthing that says safe for potable water.

y

Thats good to know about the "pukani" rock! I was actualy looking into getting 100lbs of Marcorocks and seeding it with maybe 10-20 more pounds of live rock from my lfs.

I was also thinking about getting 160lbs of there Bahama Aragonite sand with the course grain. For the pice I am looking at the 100lbs of rock and 160lbs of sand for a total of $320 Shipped!

Does the obove sound like a good deal? I heard there Customer Service is not the best but, I dont care about that when the price is that good!

I would get Marco rock and skip his sand. The sand is super fine and it sucks. I usually buy argonite dry from my LFS. Then buy 10 lbs of live rock and dip it in coral rx. Toss the rock in and it will seed your dry rock and dry sand. I would cycle that tank with no lights. You will skip alot of crazy algea.

I suggest islands for your rock scape. That will leave you alot of sandbed room for LPS :)

saltwatercoral
I would get Marco rock and skip his sand. The sand is super fine and it sucks. I usually buy argonite dry from my LFS. Then buy 10 lbs of live rock and dip it in coral rx. Toss the rock in and it will seed your dry rock and dry sand. I would cycle that tank with no lights. You will skip alot of crazy algea.

I suggest islands for your rock scape. That will leave you alot of sandbed room for LPS :)

Thanks for the advise Lawnman! I already purchased 100lbs of the marcorock (key largo) and 160lbs of the sand but in a course grain. The rock arived today!!! they gave me 8 extra lbs, 4 in each box! In the pic below I have only 1 box in the tank and still have another 504lb box that I did not even open yet. Sand is not here though... I also added a small stand next to the tank for storage space for test kits, chem, salt... and the top can be my work area as well!

reefrockintank.jpg

saltwatercoral
I see your wife still hasnt picked out the paint.... thats what I was waiting on lol.... j/k

Wow, it is so funny u said that! When I got home I put 1 box of rock in and snapped a pic and the we went to Homedepot, picked out our colors and grabed sample jars of what she picked out (45 later). We now have blotches on our walls of different colors and we have decided our colors for our kitchen, living room and dinning room. This weekend is going to be a FUN painting weekend. :huh:

saltwatercoral

Thats a great idea for taking the 10lbs of rock and using the RX to get all the nastys off. As for the lights... I dont even have them yet. Aqua Illumination have not release the Phoenix to the public yet...

The rock scape is still getting me right now. You say to do Islands, do you mean 2 bigger islands or some smaller ones? The scape makes the tank i believe so I dont want to screw that up...

Thats a great idea for taking the 10lbs of rock and using the RX to get all the nastys off. As for the lights... I dont even have them yet. Aqua Illumination have not release the Phoenix to the public yet...

The rock scape is still getting me right now. You say to do Islands, do you mean 2 bigger islands or some smaller ones? The scape makes the tank i believe so I dont want to screw that up...

do one massive one and a little guy

saltwatercoral

After looking through the links and also the different advice, this is what I was thinking...

EDIT: I am bad at editing anything or even trying but here is my try, LOL :lol:

post-56186-1323973915_thumb.jpg

After looking through the links and also the different advice, this is what I was thinking...

EDIT: I am bad at editing anything or even trying but here is my try, LOL :lol:

Your skimmer is bigger than my niece.

Time to invest in some better software.

:lol:

saltwatercoral
WOW! that's bad! :unsure: LOL

never thought about trying to make my scape look like moustache :D

LOL thats funny... Does it look that bad? If you look in my pic in the the last pic I posted with the rock in it it is kinds setup like that already. Should I change it?

no the scape i saw looked great! it was the computer graphics that were bad =)

its gonna take you some time... hours and hours. after you think you like it, 10 minutes later you will want to change it, it happens to us all.

let it be you own little piece of art and all that matters is that you like it

take pics as you try different things and share them with us as you go... i am sure you will do an amazing job!

saltwatercoral

LOL!!! The Dirty Sanchez scape it is then! Saltwatercoral's Dirty Sanchez scape should begin this coming week. This weekend is painting... I just finished taping around the edges with multiple rolls of painters tape. It's almost 12am my time and I am going to bed as I have a long weekend ahead of me... I HATE painting!!!

Stay tuned of more updates!

Archived