Cultivated Reef

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

I am not taking any advice as negative. I need the advise because this is my first saltwater tank. Thank you all for the help. It sounds like I will hold off on more LR and do WhT you are talking about. I was going to add 2 small regular clown fish or as the wife calls then Nemo's, lol. Are these a good hardy fish to start off with? If I don't have my lights on the tank for a few days would that make a difference to the fish or not?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya clownfish are one of the hardier fish. I think they are in the same genius or family as damsels (im no biologist, im an engineer lol) but i know they are pretty resilient. I didn't know you used no live sand, but i knew you had that live rock in there. How long has it been sitting? I dont have any experience with the bacteria-in-a-bottle so i am unsure about it. I know there has been great success with just using live rock, live sand and using old filter medias from precycled tanks for an instant bacteria population. But the best things in this hobby take time, only bad things happen fast lol.

saltwatercoral
Ya clownfish are one of the hardier fish. I think they are in the same genius or family as damsels (im no biologist, im an engineer lol) but i know they are pretty resilient. I didn't know you used no live sand, but i knew you had that live rock in there. How long has it been sitting? I dont have any experience with the bacteria-in-a-bottle so i am unsure about it. I know there has been great success with just using live rock, live sand and using old filter medias from precycled tanks for an instant bacteria population. But the best things in this hobby take time, only bad things happen fast lol.

The LR and LS have been in for only about a week now. The base rack and sand have been in for a little over 3 weeks now. Will the lights not being on for a few days hurt the clown fish?

No and unless you buy a mated pair not having the lights on for the first day usually reduces the fighting for who's the dominant one. But a good light schedule is less stressful on the fish once the peking order has been established or if they are already mated. Once u put a light on a set timer u might see some diatom blooms. usually just on the sand bed but its just temporary,

saltwatercoral

Just recieved my new PC4 Pwerstrips for my ReefKeeper Elite W NET! Now I will have a total of 4 PC4 Power strips!

2newPC4powerstripsfortheReefKeeper.jpg

saltwatercoral

I am SO UPSET right now at Exotic Aquatics. I have gone in there a few times and every time I go

InTo there store I feel like I am such a bother to give them my business. I am new to this and still have questions... I ask a question and I actualy had to follow the guy for him to give me a short answer. Needless to to say they lost another good paying customer... I walked out with nothing and it will stay that way from them!

I'm going to plug Rick's again. There is never a short visit to Ricks. They get busy so sometimes its hard to catch an employee, but they will spend time with you, answer your questions, even spend time with you past closing. The store is crowded, smelly, and not as pretty as most of the other stores in the area but they do everything your LFS should do and do it well.

saltwatercoral
I'm going to plug Rick's again. There is never a short visit to Ricks. They get busy so sometimes its hard to catch an employee, but they will spend time with you, answer your questions, even spend time with you past closing. The store is crowded, smelly, and not as pretty as most of the other stores in the area but they do everything your LFS should do and do it well.

It looks like I may try Ricks. Is that close to Mr. Coral?

I just put up my last 2 PC4 power strips for my ReefKeeper. After I get everything mounted (AI LIGHTS) I am going to do some serious cable managment!

4PC4powerstrips.jpg

I also put 3 raw uncooked shrimp in the tank so I can do my cycle right. I dont want to rush things on this cycle at all. Its my first tank so this is all new and fun to learn. How long should I leave the shrimp in the tank for?

3shrimptogetthingsgoing.jpg

It looks like I may try Ricks. Is that close to Mr. Coral?

They are on the same street just a couple lights down the road in a larger strip mall.

I also put 3 raw uncooked shrimp in the tank so I can do my cycle right. I dont want to rush things on this cycle at all. Its my first tank so this is all new and fun to learn. How long should I leave the shrimp in the tank for?

3 might be overkill. Often people do part of 1. Monitor your tank parameters (particularly ammonia). You should observe a spike. Once you get that ammonia spike you can remove the shrimp and wait for the ammonia to get broken down successively into nitrite then nitrate. When there are no more measurable ammonia or nitrites it is safe to add your clowns. Continue to monitor ammonia. You may observe a small ammonia increase following addition of fish.

Clowns change sexes (like many marine fish) and you can reduce aggression between them while they figure out who will be female by picking a large juvenile fish and a small juvenile fish. The largest will become female and she will be dominant. The easier it is to establish who is bigger the quicker they will settle into their roles. They will pick at each other and posture a bit as they work this out. Oh and clowns sleep funny. If you find them swimming on their side at the surface in a corner before lights come on don't worry.

I am SO UPSET right now at Exotic Aquatics. I have gone in there a few times and every time I go

InTo there store I feel like I am such a bother to give them my business. I am new to this and still have questions... I ask a question and I actualy had to follow the guy for him to give me a short answer. Needless to to say they lost another good paying customer... I walked out with nothing and it will stay that way from them!

Yeah that's the impression I got when I went in there. And I was about to slap the biotch when she like spun the bag around and around with the fish inside. Thing was freakin out. Yeah I won't be going back there either. Go to House of Tropicals. You won't be dissapointed.

saltwatercoral
They are on the same street just a couple lights down the road in a larger strip mall.

3 might be overkill. Often people do part of 1. Monitor your tank parameters (particularly ammonia). You should observe a spike. Once you get that ammonia spike you can remove the shrimp and wait for the ammonia to get broken down successively into nitrite then nitrate. When there are no more measurable ammonia or nitrites it is safe to add your clowns. Continue to monitor ammonia. You may observe a small ammonia increase following addition of fish.

Clowns change sexes (like many marine fish) and you can reduce aggression between them while they figure out who will be female by picking a large juvenile fish and a small juvenile fish. The largest will become female and she will be dominant. The easier it is to establish who is bigger the quicker they will settle into their roles. They will pick at each other and posture a bit as they work this out. Oh and clowns sleep funny. If you find them swimming on their side at the surface in a corner before lights come on don't worry.

Thanks for the advice Mr Pants! If the 3 shrimp is not going to hurt anything I will just leave them in untill I see the Amonia peak and I will remove then then. Durring this entire process should I have my PS running or will it hinder the cycling?

Yeah that's the impression I got when I went in there. And I was about to slap the biotch when she like spun the bag around and around with the fish inside. Thing was freakin out. Yeah I won't be going back there either. Go to House of Tropicals. You won't be dissapointed.

Thanks pschom! It looks like House of Tropicals is the next best thing but it will still take me about 40 ish min to get to from my house. Dont mind the drive as long as the cutomer service is good and I get treat like a customer!

Thanks for the advice Mr Pants! If the 3 shrimp is not going to hurt anything I will just leave them in untill I see the Amonia peak and I will remove then then. Durring this entire process should I have my PS running or will it hinder the cycling?

Thanks pschom! It looks like House of Tropicals is the next best thing but it will still take me about 40 ish min to get to from my house. Dont mind the drive as long as the cutomer service is good and I get treat like a customer!

Leave the skimmer off

Looking great so far, and I hope you find a store you like. Thats half the fun for me to spend my days off going to all the LFS no matter if they are a hour away just to poke around and mingle with the local reefers and see what the chalice stock looks like... Some times I spend to much :eek: but I wouldnt have it any other way :lol:

Cant wait to see you stock this bad boy, but as you have dont the entire time of this build, take your time and dont go out and buy anything fish just to get a fish. Impulse buys can really kill your tank, and in larger tanks good luck getting the coral nipping fish with the vast caves and rock work. Just a bit of advise I am sure you know.

And leave the skimmer off, you have nothing to skim.

saltwatercoral

Thanks SynRG and JNA_DESIGN!

I was just trying to break in the skimmer so it would be ready to go but after about 3+ I think it is broken in by now. I will power the skimmer off when I get home tonight and let the tank do its thing!

I am going to the "House of Tropicals" this weekend to see what they have and how they are! I know that I always have "That Fish Place" up in PA to go to, that place is INSANE and the customer service is good and they are nice as well!

redwhiteandblue

i would put the shrimp in a filter sock. otherwise they could pall apart over time an you would have shrimp crap everywhere. just my $.02

also, skimmer on/off. thats up to u, id say its broken in. i managed to get gunk still before i had fish (poorly rinsed sand/dry rock)

Remember by cycling you are trying to get the nitrifying bacteria going. You want the shrimp to break down. This breakdown is what will kick off the cycle. First Ammonia spike followed by Nitrite spike while Ammonia starts to fall then finally Nitrates higher with Ammonia and Nitrites very low or undetectable. That is the complete cycle. You do not want good water quality during the cycle. Defeats the purpose and you will either prolong the cycle or stop it entirely. That is why I recommended turning off the skimmer. You want that crap in your water breaking down. Skimmer is going to do its job and take out dissolved organics and make your water quality better. You do not want that during a cycle. Tank won't cycle with good water quality. Maybe consider dosing Microbacter7 too. With the live sand and MB7 you will probably shorten your cycle considerably even with the dry rock. The weird thing is that you saw a spike in Ammonia, but it was not followed by a spike in Nitrites and then Nitrates. Is it possible that you did not test soon enough and maybe missed the Nitrite spike? How high did your Ammonia get? Still you should have seen the Nitrates up signifying the end of the cycle BEFORE you do a big water change to bring down the Nitrates. Hope this helps. Patience is the key and it is better to make sure that your tank fully cycles before adding livestock IMO.

saltwatercoral
Remember by cycling you are trying to get the nitrifying bacteria going. You want the shrimp to break down. This breakdown is what will kick off the cycle. First Ammonia spike followed by Nitrite spike while Ammonia starts to fall then finally Nitrates higher with Ammonia and Nitrites very low or undetectable. That is the complete cycle. You do not want good water quality during the cycle. Defeats the purpose and you will either prolong the cycle or stop it entirely. That is why I recommended turning off the skimmer. You want that crap in your water breaking down. Skimmer is going to do its job and take out dissolved organics and make your water quality better. You do not want that during a cycle. Tank won't cycle with good water quality. Maybe consider dosing Microbacter7 too. With the live sand and MB7 you will probably shorten your cycle considerably even with the dry rock. The weird thing is that you saw a spike in Ammonia, but it was not followed by a spike in Nitrites and then Nitrates. Is it possible that you did not test soon enough and maybe missed the Nitrite spike? How high did your Ammonia get? Still you should have seen the Nitrates up signifying the end of the cycle BEFORE you do a big water change to bring down the Nitrates. Hope this helps. Patience is the key and it is better to make sure that your tank fully cycles before adding livestock IMO.

Thanks SynRG, I powered the PS off because it was taking out some really nasty smelling and looking stuff! I guess by what u are saying is that needs to stay in for the cycle. I removed 2 of the 3 shrimp, because it was only 1 day in the cycle with the shrimp in the water and it was smelling the entire dinning room bad! Any way I will see if the House of Tropicals has the MB7 so I can kick start the cycle more. Man this stuff stinks...

saltwatercoral

I have a Reef Master testing kit and to test the Calcium (Among others), I put a packet of the test powder packet into the beaker of water and start to add drops until the water turns blue... Then when it turns blue multiply the number of drops put in by 15 and that’s my calcium level. My problem is that maybe I am scrutinizing this to much. Is it when there is a hint of blue, or when the entire beaker turns a light blue, or maybe when it turns a more designative blue, or maybe a darker blue... There has to be a easier and more accurate way of doing this... so I looked into the Hanna Checkers and for about $50 per tester it gives you a digital read out of the exact level. I am going to get some of these Hanna Checkers but have a question about them. I see that they have a checker for high ranges and a different checker for low ranges of different parameters’ to test for. Should I be getting both or just the high or low? Here is a link to the Hanna Checkers so you can see what I am talking about.

Honestly dont worry about checking calcium and alch right now, your going to waste tests. Its not like you have acros in there any time soon :lol: Just get through the cycle, and MB7 I used to cycle my 33 gallon and I add some in once a week to make sure I dont have a crash and I really think its made keeping my nano alot simpler/easier. I have not had a major issue yet other then algea from over feeding. So just focus on the cycle right now.

And if you are willing to pony up the mula for the hanna checkers I would. In fact its one of the smartest investments I made. Its super easy and acuarate. I wish I had the whole line up but I keep buying CHALICES :tears:

Also look into a simple canister/filter/reactor for carbon. I personally always use a high grade carbon in any of my tanks (fresh/marine) even tho some people dont I have always used it and will continue to do so. Just something else for you to google and spend mindless hours confusing your wants/needs for your tank :lol:

Check BRS for Hana checkers, their ROX carbon and their Carbon reactors. Hana checkers are a great idea since they are more accurate and easier. While you are at it, add some on your order for me. I want them, but too cheap to invest in them :lol: If you don't want to drop the money on them though, the Salifert Ca is a good one. Also heard the RedSea test kits are really good. Really you ONLY need to be checking Ammonia & Nitrites right now though. Everything else is a waste. When Ammonia falls and Nitrites rise then maybe start checking Nitrates, but not necessary. Don't even need to be running carbon or PS yet. Cycle is pretty simple, but takes patience to let nature do its thing. I think MB7 helps accelerate a little. Just follow their dosing schedule.

saltwatercoral

Thanks JNA_DESIGN & SynRG! I have a PhosBan Reactor with adjustable Mini-Jet 606 pump so that might work. I believe that is what your talking about, right? Im going to check out BRS and see what I can do.

What checkers should I get?

Alkalinity

Calcium

Iodine

Iron

Nitrite

pH

Phosphate Low Range

Phosphate High Range

Phosphorus Low Range

Phosphorus High Range

saltwatercoral

Thanks siwelk and JNA_DESIGN for the info!

It looks like I'm going out to House of Tropicals tomorrow to spen some $! I might be getting some of the following:

MP40

Hanna Meters

More Live rock

Red Sea Coral Pro salt

Or ????

Archived