inTank Media Baskets

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh btw if you are in the MrCoral/Ricks area again and would like some free hermit crabs let me know. I got way to many for my tank and I'd be happy to send a few of them to a new home. They haven't harmed any of my corals or snails (even when the snails were paralyzed by flatwormexit).

saltwatercoral
Oh btw if you are in the MrCoral/Ricks area again and would like some free hermit crabs let me know. I got way to many for my tank and I'd be happy to send a few of them to a new home. They haven't harmed any of my corals or snails (even when the snails were paralyzed by flatwormexit).

Thank you Mr Pants! Ill shoot you a PM when I am heading up that way next time!

saltwatercoral
I've been using Tropic Marine Pro because of it's alk at 1.025. (9.0dkh). Most of the other premium salts have very high alk which does not match where I run my tank. In addition, the Cal is 400 which I can bump to 450 and the Mag is 1200 which I can bump to 1450. It's much easier to add some extra cal and mag than it is to try and remove alk.

After looking into it it looks like I will be doing the swap to the Tropic Marine Pro salt! Like you said urbaneks, it will prob be better to dose than to have to much off the bat...

saltwatercoral

I just did a check and it still looks Like my Amonia is about 1-2, Nitrites and Nitrates 0. I'm still waiting

On the cycle to kick in... I guess because of a bigger tank it takes longer...? Any way I was thinking about going and getting 2 MP40's this weekend to replace what I have now. Do you think 2 MP40's will be enough or should I get 2 MP60's? It's a 4ft long tank and not a 6 ft long so I think 2 MP40's will do but I'm not the experienced one here.

I just did a check and it still looks Like my Amonia is about 1-2, Nitrites and Nitrates 0. I'm still waiting

On the cycle to kick in... I guess because of a bigger tank it takes longer...? Any way I was thinking about going and getting 2 MP40's this weekend to replace what I have now. Do you think 2 MP40's will be enough or should I get 2 MP60's? It's a 4ft long tank and not a 6 ft long so I think 2 MP40's will do but I'm not the experienced one here.

MP40's are more than enough. Even with MP40s you will not be able to run them at 100% in your tank. It will blow water out of the tank. I typically run my MP40s at about 80%, my tank is 48x30x18.

Nicee stuff so far!

Two mp40wES would definitely do the job. I had two in my 75g tank and they made a huge wave. As to your cycle may I suggest Dr. Tim's aquatics One & Only. I used it in my 34g to cycle and it did the job in about a week and it seeded it with all the "right" bacteria. I'm usually not one for snake oil, but after hearing him speak at a local aquarium convention he blew my mind. I mean the guys got a PhD and he uses it for the reefing industry wtf

Nicee stuff so far!

Two mp40wES would definitely do the job. I had two in my 75g tank and they made a huge wave. As to your cycle may I suggest Dr. Tim's aquatics One & Only. I used it in my 34g to cycle and it did the job in about a week and it seeded it with all the "right" bacteria. I'm usually not one for snake oil, but after hearing him speak at a local aquarium convention he blew my mind. I mean the guys got a PhD and he uses it for the reefing industry wtf

Dr Tims definitely works. My tank was setup with it and after e-mailing Dr. Tim and watching the videos, I added fish immediately. I checked daily for ammonia spikes and got nothing. The tank has been up for 4-5 months now and has the same two clownfish I added with Dr. Tim's. They are getting big.

They recommend you add at least two fish if you want to feed the bacteria with fish so that there is enough of a bioload. If you do not have enough fish, you will not have enough ammonia, and the bacteria will die off. If you choose to go with the ammonia that is provided, that will work too, but it seems to be the same process to me. Just keep an eye on your parameters and make sure you are not causing any harm to the fish and you should be OK.

Dr. Tim researched and isolated the correct bacteria so that he could provide it to large public aquariums that are often on a deadline and unable to wait the necessary time to cycle a HUGE aquarium. According to him, it's the same concept, but obviously when he goes to setup large aquariums that are thousands of gallons in size, there is a lot more involved. The bacteria is the same though and works just as well.

Two MP40's will kick it pretty hard ! I got an MP4o and an MP10 and its hard to keep things nailed down.

MP60's are a whole nother animal and meant for some serious water, nothing under 180g.

If you dont like the flow or think its not enough, put a couple MP10's on the back wall of the tank, They are great for that application in larger systems. Total will still prolly be under 2x MP60s and you would have some major random flow my freind.

If you have 1-2 ammo then your 'cycle' has already begun. In a week or so your ammo should be 0 and your nitrates should be high.

2 mp40s is a waste of $$ IMO. 2 mp10s or 1 and your existing powerheads on the other side would be fine.

saltwatercoral
MP40's are more than enough. Even with MP40s you will not be able to run them at 100% in your tank. It will blow water out of the tank. I typically run my MP40s at about 80%, my tank is 48x30x18.

Thanks urbaneks! I think the mp40 is what i will be going with... Ill dial them down a little bit though.

Nicee stuff so far!

Thanks BOMBreef! THe MP40s it is, and will look into Dr. Tims as well.

2 MP60's would be overkill

sounds good LouDog3, Im going to do MP40's instead!

saltwatercoral
Dr Tims definitely works. My tank was setup with it and after e-mailing Dr. Tim and watching the videos, I added fish immediately. I checked daily for ammonia spikes and got nothing. The tank has been up for 4-5 months now and has the same two clownfish I added with Dr. Tim's. They are getting big.

They recommend you add at least two fish if you want to feed the bacteria with fish so that there is enough of a bioload. If you do not have enough fish, you will not have enough ammonia, and the bacteria will die off. If you choose to go with the ammonia that is provided, that will work too, but it seems to be the same process to me. Just keep an eye on your parameters and make sure you are not causing any harm to the fish and you should be OK.

Dr. Tim researched and isolated the correct bacteria so that he could provide it to large public aquariums that are often on a deadline and unable to wait the necessary time to cycle a HUGE aquarium. According to him, it's the same concept, but obviously when he goes to setup large aquariums that are thousands of gallons in size, there is a lot more involved. The bacteria is the same though and works just as well.

Thanks tokendog! It does sound like this Dr. Tims stuff is some good stuff! Might be doing this this weekend!

Two MP40's will kick it pretty hard ! I got an MP4o and an MP10 and its hard to keep things nailed down.

MP60's are a whole nother animal and meant for some serious water, nothing under 180g.

If you dont like the flow or think its not enough, put a couple MP10's on the back wall of the tank, They are great for that application in larger systems. Total will still prolly be under 2x MP60s and you would have some major random flow my freind.

Thanks not_so_nano! Sounds like the MP60s are way to much for my setup.

2 MP40 are ideal for your tank. You could always start with just 1 then add the the other one to the opposite end when you start adding SPS.

Thanks SynRG, I might do that but righ now I was checking That Fish Place up in PA and it looks like they are out of stock of the MP40's. I hope they will have them by the weekend.

saltwatercoral
In our 200 gallon we have two mp40's and its perfect, we had three but decided it wasnt all that needed.

Thanks JNA_DESIGN! wow 2 MP40's in a 200g! Sounds nice!

saltwatercoral
If you have 1-2 ammo then your 'cycle' has already begun. In a week or so your ammo should be 0 and your nitrates should be high.

2 mp40s is a waste of $$ IMO. 2 mp10s or 1 and your existing powerheads on the other side would be fine.

Thanks pschom. I hope the cycle is going to kick in here shortly! I have been dosing with Microbacter7 as well, dont know if its doing anything though...? I think if I get 2 MP10's I wil be running them almost full blast. If I get 2 MP40s then I think I can dial them down and not work them as hard. I hope im right on that!

hurry this up!

LOL, Im trying! I think I am going to use Dr. Tims and see if I can add 2 clowns and see what that does!

I used Dr. Tims myself and can tell you that it cycles the tank in just 3-4 days. If the Microbacter7 was anything but snake oil your cycle should have been completed.

It is my understanding that most of these bacteria in a bottle products are bacteria isolated from freshwater water treatment plants and will not work in a reef even if they are alive when you add them. Dr Tims was developed specifically by looking for the nitrifying bacteria present in saltwater aquaria. I don't know if it unique, but it did work for me.

saltwatercoral
I used Dr. Tims myself and can tell you that it cycles the tank in just 3-4 days. If the Microbacter7 was anything but snake oil your cycle should have been completed.

It is my understanding that most of these bacteria in a bottle products are bacteria isolated from freshwater water treatment plants and will not work in a reef even if they are alive when you add them. Dr Tims was developed specifically by looking for the nitrifying bacteria present in saltwater aquaria. I don't know if it unique, but it did work for me.

Wow 3-4 days! Is that 3-4 days with fish in it or 3-4 days untill u can add fish?

ummmm use it!

Aaaaaa, the pressure! Lol

The bacteria need an ammonia source so you can't just dump it in and expect the tank to cycle. Dr. Tims recommends adding a fish the same time you add the bacteria or to add a bag of ammonia (they will provide it free with purchase). You have the dead shrimp as your ammonia source so if you had added the Dr.Tims at the same time then 3-4 days later your ammonia would have been zero.

This video is what convinced me to give it a try (the stuff isn't cheap).
saltwatercoral
The bacteria need an ammonia source so you can't just dump it in and expect the tank to cycle. Dr. Tims recommends adding a fish the same time you add the bacteria or to add a bag of ammonia (they will provide it free with purchase). You have the dead shrimp as your ammonia source so if you had added the Dr.Tims at the same time then 3-4 days later your ammonia would have been zero.

This video is what convinced me to give it a try (the stuff isn't cheap).

Just finished watching all 15min of te video and wow! It looks almost to good to be true bit it looks true! I am going to get a bottle and 2 clowns and get things going as soon as I can! Thanks Mr Pants!

Yeah I saw him speak at the Marine Aquarium Expo and stopped by his booth. When I saw that video from Mr. Saltwatertank that's when I knew I had to try it. I had a problem with my ammonia which didn't drop for a couple days so I called Dr. Tim and he told me to add more ammonia. In 2 days my ammonia was all gone, and my tank was fully cycled. You are definitely going to like it....worth every penny.

Archived