ReefCleaners.org

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral
how are they doing now?

It looks like they all have moved around today. Even the star is out from Under the sand and he is moving around! They are all kinda chillin now except for the star, he is walking all around.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
Hey SWC!

Re: Clowns hanging out together mine do the exact same as yours :)

The big one "Momma", swims around all over while my little guy hangs in one spot or else follows Momma around. How are yours doing???

I may have to take Tron's advice on hosting the nem... The Yasha Goby and Clown Goby take more notice then the clowns. :angry:

Very excited for you! This tank is really coming together. :D My new tank one is moving at a snails pace...and you thought yours was slow ;) lol

Thanks for the info Trainer262! My clowns are almost doing the same thing as yours. The BIG boy will eventually move around more but te little girl stays around the same area and won't follow the BIG boy all the way around. Owell they look like they are liking the new space (even though they only occupy mainly 5 gallons worth)

saltwatercoral

On a side note I powered off the PS to clean it and once I powered it back on it was prouducing so many bubbles that it is spilling over everywhere. It's so much that the huge cup Fills within a few min. I never touched the valve or put more water in? Has anyone else had this problem before and if so how do I fix it? It is this normal because I am having a heck of a time trying to dial it back in, I left it off today while I was at work.

Thanks for the info Trainer262! My clowns are almost doing the same thing as yours. The BIG boy will eventually move around more but te little girl stays around the same area and won't follow the BIG boy all the way around. Owell they look like they are liking the new space (even though they only occupy mainly 5 gallons worth)

Eventually your "big" boy will be the big girl...if not already ;)

Thanks mpsti05! Congrats on the clowns hosting the nem! What did Tron day to do?

I found a pic online of clowns that looked similar to mine and a nem that looked like mine. Printed it out and tapped it to the glass... Took about 1-2 weeks for them to start paying attention to it. Then finally the big one was swimming in and out of it

saltwatercoral
Eventually your "big" boy will be the big girl...if not already ;)

:o

I found a pic online of clowns that looked similar to mine and a nem that looked like mine. Printed it out and tapped it to the glass... Took about 1-2 weeks for them to start paying attention to it. Then finally the big one was swimming in and out of it

Not a bad idea!

Now that my diatoms are doing there thing, I have kicked in the PS and am starting to pull out some junk. should I now kick in my phosban reactor to to get things cleaned up more or hold off on that?

I am currently feeding my 2 clowns half of a frozen block of the Mysis shrimp with a very small amount of the flake food as well. I am doing this 2 times a day morning and at night. Now for more questions...

Here is a pic of the Frozen Blocks of Mysis shrimp (bottle cap is for size comp)

ClownfrozenMysisfood-1.jpg

1) Is this to much, to little or just the right amount of food.

2) When can I add more fish? (Yellow tang)

3) How many CUC members should I get and of what? I dont have much growing now because its not all live rock)

A) Crabs

B) Purple lobster (or any small lobster)

C) Snails (What kind)

I would say feed less frozen food. I feed 6 fish less than half a cube every other day, and supplement in with pellets between feedings.

saltwatercoral
I would say feed less frozen food. I feed 6 fish less than half a cube every other day, and supplement in with pellets between feedings.

WOW, maybe I am overfeeding! Yikes! I will cut down to a pinch of flake food in the AM and one pinch in the PM? Maybe a small part of the cube every other day? How does that sound?

WOW, maybe I am overfeeding! Yikes! I will cut down to a pinch of flake food in the AM and one pinch in the PM? Maybe a small part of the cube every other day? How does that sound?

Sounds perfect. Have you thought about using a good pellet food instead of flakes? I believe pellet foods are more nutritious than flake. But a good rule of thumb I usually go by is only feeding as much food as it takes all your fish to consume in a 2 minute period. This way you wont have a build up in the tank from food that isn't eaten, and also won't be over feeding the fish. What you mentioned above sounds good though, it also helps that you have a good amount of water volume.

I have been following your tank BTW. How is everything coming along? How do you like your Black Sol's? Any new FTS?

Mine LOVE New Life Spectrum pellets.

I feed heavy... 2x a day. First feed is usually pellets and 2nd is either a pinch of Rods Original or 1/4 cube of mysis. I have no issues with water params either.

saltwatercoral
Sounds perfect. Have you thought about using a good pellet food instead of flakes? I believe pellet foods are more nutritious than flake. But a good rule of thumb I usually go by is only feeding as much food as it takes all your fish to consume in a 2 minute period. This way you wont have a build up in the tank from food that isn't eaten, and also won't be over feeding the fish. What you mentioned above sounds good though, it also helps that you have a good amount of water volume.

I have been following your tank BTW. How is everything coming along? How do you like your Black Sol's? Any new FTS?

Thanks Criley7 for taging along! Its fun getting my first tank going here! I love the Black SOLS! I have 2 pics I can put up here. They are Iphone pics so you have to forgive me, It does not pick up the blue in the correct color at all!

My Star walking around!

star.jpg

FTS

FTS.jpg

Mine LOVE New Life Spectrum pellets.

I feed heavy... 2x a day. First feed is usually pellets and 2nd is either a pinch of Rods Original or 1/4 cube of mysis. I have no issues with water params either.

Thanks Trainer262! Sounds like I need to get myself some of the New Life Spectrum pellets! Pinch of RODS? What are RODS?

RODS is the company name. They make all different frozen food options. Your tank is still looking good even with the iPhone pics. (I use the iPhone for my thread pictures also) :(

saltwatercoral
RODS is the company name. They make all different frozen food options. Your tank is still looking good even with the iPhone pics. (I use the iPhone for my thread pictures also) :(

A I got it now. Thank you very much Criley7! Your tank looks great as well!

saltwatercoral
Whats going on? nothing new? been following this thread for a long time now! your tank is AMAZING! Loving the setup!

Thanks for the support jackmccann, its always nice seeing these comments! My 2 Clowns are still alive and doing well, and the same for all my Clean Up Crew and even the star seems to be doing good as well! I actualy have a question... I did my first water change on sunday and that was about 25 gallons. Everything whent great! Now I did notice last night that my water was just a smidge cloudy. I did a check and all my lev are the following:

Amonia: 0

Nitrates: 0-.5

Nitrates: 3-5

temp: 77

SG: 1.025

I did some research and found out that it is part of the cycle and its nothing to be woryed about. I did clean all my filter pads and the PS is kicking out some good junk. Is there anything else I should do or am I being a typical newb and worrying to much?

Great to hear everything is going so well.

As for the cloudiness there is nothing to worry about. I usually get some after a WC and then the next day it's crystal clear.

Parameters are looking good! Keep it up.

saltwatercoral
Great to hear everything is going so well.

As for the cloudiness there is nothing to worry about. I usually get some after a WC and then the next day it's crystal clear.

Parameters are looking good! Keep it up.

Thanks for the reasurance BOMBreef! Im glad there is no problem here. I do have a slight concern though... Once I had my diatom bloom (not bad by the way) I started to notice on the sand and on the rock these small brown hair like piecesof algae growing. They started of very tiny and now it was growing on the glass, sand and rock... Its so small you realy need to look for it but I can def notice the pieces getting longer. I have looked around but have not realy found a pic to Identify this. should I be worryed :scarry: or get a bigger clean up crew? I only have 2 scarlet hermits, 2 big blue leged hermits, 2 snails and 1 sand sifting star.

I know exactly what your talking about....my tank had the same thing when I first set it up. I always used the mag-float to scrape as much off the glass as I could. I definitely think you need a larger CUC though. I would start by getting a few turbo snails, astrea and cerith snails.

saltwatercoral
I know exactly what your talking about....my tank had the same thing when I first set it up. I always used the mag-float to scrape as much off the glass as I could. I definitely think you need a larger CUC though. I would start by getting a few turbo snails, astrea and cerith snails.

I am so glad you know what I am talking about! Its hard to describe that stuff. I use a big mag-float to get the front and side glass clean. I cant get my hand behind the glass I I use a long scraper with replacable scrubing pads on the end to get the back glass. I just sent a email to ReefCleaners and I cant wait to hear back from them! I heard nothing but good from them. The only thing bad I heard Is you get way to much for your $, lol. I feel better now, thank you so much BOMBreef!

I was going this weekend to get 2 MP40ewes and some salt and wanted to know if it is safe to get my next 2 fish. I am getting 1 small/baby yellow tang and 1 small/baby blue tang and introduce them both at the same time. Good time to do so? I have done the research and as long as you get them small and introduce them at the same time, they should be just fine.

Sources say you are supposed to only feed what can be devoured by your tank in 3 minutes. I feed every other day and it's not even a whole cube. I break it up so like Monday it's frozen mysis, Wednesday it's flake/pellet, Friday it's cyclopeeze. I might feed Sunday cause it's wc day. I always have leftovers. Your tank is larger, but if you only have two clowns you really don't need to feed that much.

Most important thing is try a feeding schedule and watch your tank (levels and eating habits and such). Add or delete feelings based on the needs of your inhabitants. Every tank is diffent.

Thanks for the reasurance BOMBreef! Im glad there is no problem here. I do have a slight concern though... Once I had my diatom bloom (not bad by the way) I started to notice on the sand and on the rock these small brown hair like piecesof algae growing. They started of very tiny and now it was growing on the glass, sand and rock... Its so small you realy need to look for it but I can def notice the pieces getting longer. I have looked around but have not realy found a pic to Identify this. should I be worryed :scarry: or get a bigger clean up crew? I only have 2 scarlet hermits, 2 big blue leged hermits, 2 snails and 1 sand sifting star.

Lol yeah you need like 8,000,000,000 more snails.

You should be fine on adding those new fish this weekend, its been long enough that ur tanks bacteria can handle them especially if there small. U could turn on the reactor now too. You'll know when ur cycle is done when the diatoms pretty much come to halt and start to recess and or being eaten by ur CUC.

saltwatercoral
Sources say you are supposed to only feed what can be devoured by your tank in 3 minutes. I feed every other day and it's not even a whole cube. I break it up so like Monday it's frozen mysis, Wednesday it's flake/pellet, Friday it's cyclopeeze. I might feed Sunday cause it's wc day. I always have leftovers. Your tank is larger, but if you only have two clowns you really don't need to feed that much.

Most important thing is try a feeding schedule and watch your tank (levels and eating habits and such). Add or delete feelings based on the needs of your inhabitants. Every tank is diffent.

Lol yeah you need like 8,000,000,000 more snails.

Thanks on the info pschom! Im cutting the feeding down to a small pinch only once a day now. I just emailed reefcleaners and this is what they recomended for my CUC additions...

30 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners

15 Nassarius

17 Florida Ceriths

14 Assorted Hermits

9 Large Nerite and 7 Small to medium Nerites

3 Assorted Smaller Conchs

4 Banded Trochus

saltwatercoral
You should be fine on adding those new fish this weekend, its been long enough that ur tanks bacteria can handle them especially if there small. U could turn on the reactor now too. You'll know when ur cycle is done when the diatoms pretty much come to halt and start to recess and or being eaten by ur CUC.

Thanks CLR! I have noticed the the Diatoms are not getting any worse the last few days... Its stayed the same if not goten a little better. I will get the 2 fish and fire up the reactor as well in a few more days. I want to get the CUC from ReefCleaners to help out alot as well.

redwhiteandblue

reefcleaners will give you about 200 dwarf ceriths even if you order 20 lol. i threw everyone of them bad boys in the tank and they are very effective. mainly in my sandbed. they are cool cause the stay underneath the sand till about an hr before lights out then they all come out of the sand to feast through the night.

Archived