Cultivated Reef

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you just need a tunze stream, some acrylic and knowing a little about wiring. It doesn't look hard for someone with ability. I just know how mine would look :lol:

I think, I didn't research that much, I realized mine wouldn't work so I didn't give it serious thought. I'm pretty sure I read that though. I think you can use koralias too but they aren't as strong.

joel i can get you the box made for next to nothing if you need it.

Hmmm, I'm tempted. You should talk to that LFS and see if they will make waveboxes. You can make products that displace more water than any mp for 1/3 the price, they could really make some money. I won't by an mp because IMO the fact they need serviced before a year (most of them) makes them horribly overpriced. I'd pay decent money for a wave box that would push 2-3k gph with a decent pump.

and koralias don't have a good shape put through the hole?

That too. :lol:

Hmmm, I'm tempted. You should talk to that LFS and see if they will make waveboxes. You can make products that displace more water than any mp for 1/3 the price, they could really make some money. I won't by an mp because IMO the fact they need serviced before a year (most of them) makes them horribly overpriced. I'd pay decent money for a wave box that would push 2-3k gph with a decent pump.

That too. :lol:

ill talk to steve tomorrow and see what he says. hes always up for a challenge

I'll be his test tank. :D

Bring up that there's not an attractively priced mp10 competitor.

I mean, for less than the cost of an mp10, you can make a wavebox comparable to an mp40.

I'll be his test tank. :D

Bring up that there's not an attractively priced mp10 competitor.

I mean, for less than the cost of an mp10, you can make a wavebox comparable to an mp40.

good point. we'll sit down and draw something up and see what we can do

Yes, but, my ac110 mod fell apart. The one thing I siliconed... Fell apart. Just let that sink in. :P

I'm sure lots of other people would pay for them too because they just don't want to build it themselves.

hahaha not the best with tool and such are we :P

this may be a really cool idea. im just gonna say thanks now joel :D

No problem. B) I look forward to seeing where this goes if he takes the challenge.

And yes, I am the worst at technical work. I'm decent in sculpture and artistic fabrication like my scape, but the second it needs to be precise and move I'm ####ed. :D

No problem. B) I look forward to seeing where this goes if he takes the challenge.

And yes, I am the worst at technical work. I'm decent in sculpture and artistic fabrication like my scape, but the second it needs to be precise and move I'm ####ed. :D

LMAO sounds like an issue.

Hope I am better at DIY then that. We are going to just box out the top tomorrow to see how it goes, after that I am going all out.

Probably have a pic dump tomorrow!

can't believe i missed this! how is the nudi doing? what do these guys eat?

My initial research suggested algae, I've not seen him eat though. After some more digging I think they might only eat sponges. I have a bunch that I'm not attached to in my tank so hopefully he will find them (no return policy at the LFS I got him from or I'd take him back if I didn't see him eat by next Friday). He was definitely an impulse buy but I furiously googled him on my phone at the store and found several places saying they eat algae. Just concerned since I've not seen him eat yet. He still looks good though. :)

It was sold to me as "Risbecia apolegma" but I've since read that that it's a cluster#### on whatever it could be. Very similar to the peppermint/camel shrimp dilemma where they are all labeled the same but a small chance you actually have the reef safe variety that eats aiptasia. They have super short lifespans too so what this is going to be is a lesson on why no one else has nudi's, why I won't be buying another, and being thankful it was on sale for $8. Things could have been worse :lol:

I think Molly has you wrapped around her "finger" :)

Thanks! :D and yes she does. She has everyone under her paw with her cuteness. Until she starts going super priss but then she comes back around.

I have a crazy idea that I would never do because I'm not good with SPS but I think it would be cool to have an LRless tank with just big SPS colonies that grow into the aquascape.

Just BB with eggcrate, then just plant 100 or so branching SPS frags and let nature take its course, fragging and removing the ones getting choked out until you had 4-5 massive colonies. With a big school of Chromis.

The live rock could be in the sump.

You know...I've seen video of something like this....aquaculturing in the ocean with big colonies growing on egg crate. It is then transplanted to reefs in the ocean.

That's what I was thinking, or abandoning lr all together and using bioballs.

And that's exactly what I was thinking. My main thing is that you don't see large colonies of designer SPS because people frag them all the time. Imagine a 75 gallon with a basketball sized Red Planet. I don't know if youve seen Disaster's 100 gallon reef but he has/had a *HUGE* frogspawn. I don't know how big but the biggest I've seen, just would like to see people do that with pretty sticks. If I get good with my mr coral stuff this could be a future plan.

I've already found lots of resources to make my own LR so it will look better this time around. I'll use eggcrate as the skeleton and try to make it look like one large rock instead of small ones.

Archived