Pod Your Reef

Euphyllia's BioCube 29 HQI ~ FTS PAGE 93

Euphyllia

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well my phosphate has been on safe levels the last two times i tested it. im not running phophate right now, just carbon and cheato.

What is safe??? :huh:

I hear any is bad want between 0 and 0 and I have .5 so I have to do a BIG water change. End of cycle anyways.

For some reason, my sandbed keeps growing diatoms. I don't think it's thick enough, probably .5". I'm going to buy three small bags of dry sand and add them over a three week period. :)

Breaking the surface tension

1sk1a9.jpg

Just below the surface (Ultimate Tri-Color Acro)

ann0k2.jpg

ORA Hawkins Enchinata

2006w3t.jpg

Figured, at least I'm not that high, LMAO

Water change and heavy lifting here I come! :mellow:

I do water changes every four or five days. 10%-20%.

I don't know... I'm basically out of money. $20 left to spend on corals until Christmas. I wanted to buy a certain fish that is around $80. Maybe I should just forget the fish until Christmas because it's not even in season. I'm definitely going back to where I got those last two frags so I can pick up some more tiny SPS frags. Nicest SPS collection I've ever seen at an LFS.

OHHH! I was supposed to tell you like yesterday, but can you wait til next week for the fish? (If you're still interested?)

Wow I think the Ult Tri-Color looks much better in it's new position :)

Yeah I will be doing one every 7 days once I get this cycle done, I think it is need to test again and get some pics of this awesome cheepo skimmer for the thread...

Just need to get the Phos and Nitrates under control first, and get a CUC, then fish and corals. ;)

BTW love the new corals!

OHHH! I was supposed to tell you like yesterday, but can you wait til next week for the fish? (If you're still interested?)

Wow I think the Ult Tri-Color looks much better in it's new position :)

I'm probably not going to be buying one until after Christmas when I can get some more cash. I'm not really in to buying fish without seeing them first, so I may just wait until I find one that I want that's already in the store. That means I'll have more money for SPS! :)

I think it does too. It's not sticking straight up, but it's not sticking out nearly horizontally like it used to be. :D

Yeah I will be doing one every 7 days once I get this cycle done, I think it is need to test again and get some pics of this awesome cheepo skimmer for the thread...

Just need to get the Phos and Nitrates under control first, and get a CUC, then fish and corals. ;)

BTW love the new corals!

I'm probably not going to be buying one until after Christmas when I can get some more cash. I'm not really in to buying fish without seeing them first, so I may just wait until I find one that I want that's already in the store. That means I'll have more money for SPS! :)

Haha yeah, being a teen reefer is kinda tough :P

Well we're going to get at least 1 in next week anyways :)

Euphy.....

Been following along and your tank is really looking good.

I really like the clam, it's a beauty!

Just so you know, the ORA Hawkins is now considered a Turaki and not an Echinata. One of my favorites, I really like the coral structure of the branches.

Here is a pic of my Hawkins colony before I sadly lost to a tank crash back in January:

hawkins001.jpg

Euphy.....

Been following along and your tank is really looking good.

I really like the clam, it's a beauty!

Just so you know, the ORA Hawkins is now considered a Turaki and not an Echinata. One of my favorites, I really like the coral structure of the branches.

Here is a pic of my Hawkins colony before I sadly lost to a tank crash back in January:

hawkins001.jpg

Thanks! :)

I guess I'll start calling it a Turaki now. :D

That is a beautiful colony. How long did it take to grow it that big? What is the growth rate you have observed?

Thanks! :)

I guess I'll start calling it a Turaki now. :D

That is a beautiful colony. How long did it take to grow it that big? What is the growth rate you have observed?

Once it got established and was comfortable, it grew rather quickly. I'd say in less than a year, I noticed some real good growth.

Now I know you like SPS corals, so I have a special one you might like. It's called a Banana Millie. It is very hairy with long neon green polyps. But what makes it special is the branches under the polyps is a bright yellow! I've not seen this combo before. I'll se if I can get a pic of it.

I have enough salt left to mix maybe 30 gallons or so, but it turned to rock. I'm going to be working on breaking that up. I was at an LFS today and picked up a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that mixed 175 gallons to 12.2 dKH, 1340 mg and 450 calcium. PERFECT!! Just $55.

2wcen9c.jpg

I also got a frag off a maricultured SPS colony for $10. Pretty blue with a yellow base, and there is a hint of pink/green on the base of the colony it came from. :)

8zpmrm.jpg

I also got something I need more than coral. It will help me enjoy my tank much more.

28k7hpd.jpg

Once it got established and was comfortable, it grew rather quickly. I'd say in less than a year, I noticed some real good growth.

Now I know you like SPS corals, so I have a special one you might like. It's called a Banana Millie. It is very hairy with long neon green polyps. But what makes it special is the branches under the polyps is a bright yellow! I've not seen this combo before. I'll se if I can get a pic of it.

Cool. Hopefully mine will grow that quickly as well. :)

I'm not really in to buying corals online because of my past experiences with shipping issues. If that changes, I'll let you know. A Banana Mille sounds awesome though!

Now I'm craving banana. Banana ice cream specifically. :lol:

Here's a couple of shots of the Banana Millie showing the yellow growth under the hairy coralites:

003qaz.jpg

002unh.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the Banana Millie showing the yellow growth under the hairy coralites:

Super nice. Maybe I'll find something like that at an LFS some day. :)

I am officially out of room. :(

... Until I get my new rock! 18n7th.jpg

What I'm planning to do is get a tall, slim tonga rock (12") with lots of holes to put frag plugs into and a bunch of flattish areas to mount corals on to. This rock will be in the middle of the sandbed on the left side. I will rearrange the other two rocks on the sandbed to make everything look nice. :D

I'm going to be getting a brand new Vortech MP10 ES in December. Can't wait for the wave-makeiness! :happy:

My chaeto hasn't grown at all!... And I believe I have two different types. One is dark green and grows very thick, while the other is a lighter green and grows more openly. My tank has nitrates/phosphates for it to feed on, and it has been feeding on them. I've been giving it adequate lighting, 60w = 14w 5500K fluorescent. It just won't grow. :(

you have two different cheato balls in the same tank?

also the clown in your avy looks like he's spazzing out :P

That's my fail attempt at animating my clown in a loop. :P

i have the same thing with my cheato but iv found the best like to grow it under was a cree led par 38 they sell at costco for like $40. nice tank btw, what do you keep your params and temp at?

i have the same thing with my cheato but iv found the best like to grow it under was a cree led par 38 they sell at costco for like $40. nice tank btw, what do you keep your params and temp at?

I like to keep my temperature low. I've had good results with 72-76. My parameters... well... They're all over the place usually. I try to keep them at the norm, but I end up with dKH 8.0, Mg 1300, Ca 450. They usually stay put when I dose regularly, but sometimes they'll slide. I got a new salt mix that mixes to 12.2 dKH, 1340 mg, 450 ca. Hopefully with a few large water changes (33%), that will get the tank on track.

what salt mix is that? i gots to get me some.

I saw it today at one of my favorite LFS and I knew it was a good deal for $55 since it would last me for 3 months. Plus it's a pretty reputable brand of salt.

2wcen9c.jpg

Archived