SaltCritters.com

Zer0's 25G Trimless LED Cube

Zer0

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I've kept SPS in the same cube a while back and never really had a problem and I'm pretty sure it was all about the placement of the powerheads. I know the flow could cause problems with the substrate but I don't see anything wrong with it at this point. I'm sure taking out the Nano and replacing it with another K1 won't be a problem. Much more added flow, but not powerful enough to cause problems. Not to mention that in a cube, a lot of the flow will be bouncing off the glass and going in all directions. We'll see though. I will be basing my findings and decisions on how well the desired species of coral fair in the cube.

damn. every time i set up a cube, and use anything bigger than an old style K1, unless its pointing almost directly at the surface, it would blow the fine sand around either into a bare spot in 1 corner, or on the back wall... usually ended up pointing it directly at the rock work, or up as much as possible.

guess i just had bad luck with that fine substrate in the last couple of tanks (even in a 46G bowfront) and gave up on it. swore it off forever. lol

it would either blow around too much, or get cyano growing on it from not enough flow. i couldnt win.

plain ol' clown? or a fancy shmancy clown?

Nothing fancy. Just your average 12 dollar Ocellaris Clownfish. :)

great start!

Thank you kindly

Very nicely done. Following along to see how it develops with the addition of coral.

Thanks spanko, I appreciate your words! I can't wait to see how this tank turns out as well.

Fancy Shmancy all the way!

:lol:

that rock scape annoys me...do you think you break that...thing...to make it shorter?

Ohh the ledge? Yeah no.

:lol: That ledge defines your tank and sets you far apart from anyone else!

How's the light coming along? Any teaser pics?

:lol: That ledge defines your tank and sets you far apart from anyone else!

How's the light coming along? Any teaser pics?

Exactly. And it's going to look fantastic filled with branching sps.

Sorry but no LED teaser pics yet.. :( I haven't really been able to do any serious work on it as I am missing a couple things. Soon though, very soon!

Very clean-looking build, Zer0! That scape is pretty unique. What are you thinking of putting on that ledge?

Thanks J-Ranko! The entire top half of the aquascape, including that ledge will be filled with branching SPS and encrusting SPS.

Thanks J-Ranko! The entire top half of the aquascape, including that ledge will be filled with branching SPS and encrusting SPS.

Yo the tank looks great. Scape will be fun to work with.

Get those lights up, ( I have been waiting on deliveries since I started my build - it sucks!)

Yo the tank looks great. Scape will be fun to work with.

Get those lights up, ( I have been waiting on deliveries since I started my build - it sucks!)

Thanks jonny. Yeah i know what you mean. Waiting for #### in the mail just isn't fun at all.

teamschreiba

That scape looks awesome Zero! I can just see it now with the SPS on the top branch and maybe a bunch of acan colonies down on the branch that is in the sand?

Zer0... We are going for the same look with the corals! I can't wait to see it.

That scape looks awesome Zero! I can just see it now with the SPS on the top branch and maybe a bunch of acan colonies down on the branch that is in the sand?

Thanks schreiba! And yes, you hit the nail on the head!

Zer0... We are going for the same look with the corals! I can't wait to see it.

I know dude! So awesome! I can't wait to start stocking up on coral. :) Still no nitrites though.. :/ Waiting for the ammonia to start dropping. It's been keeping steady between 1 and 2 ppm.

I know dude! So awesome! I can't wait to start stocking up on coral. :) Still no nitrites though.. :/ Waiting for the ammonia to start dropping. It's been keeping steady between 1 and 2 ppm.

How are you cycling? Are you feeding the tank or letting a cocktail shrimp rot...

I think I'll be going with feeding and adding some bacteria additive.

Are you going to seed with live rock? I think im going to be letting things develop from bottle on my tank. Only way I would get any hitch hikers is off coral frags (but they will be dipped anyway).

How are you cycling? Are you feeding the tank or letting a cocktail shrimp rot...

I think I'll be going with feeding and adding some bacteria additive.

Are you going to seed with live rock? I think im going to be letting things develop from bottle on my tank. Only way I would get any hitch hikers is off coral frags (but they will be dipped anyway).

Yeah I let the shrimp decompose until it read 2ppm of ammonia and then I took it out because I didn't want the ammonia to raise any higher. It's start to drop now so hopefully nitrites will show up sometime soon.

I will be adding a couple pieces of live rock to seed once everything is cycled.

Yeah I let the shrimp decompose until it read 2ppm of ammonia and then I took it out because I didn't want the ammonia to raise any higher. It's start to drop now so hopefully nitrites will show up sometime soon.

I will be adding a couple pieces of live rock to seed once everything is cycled.

Sounds solid. Looks like you'll be up and running long before me so I am keeping a foot in this thread to see how it goes for you.

Thanks Fail, hopefully I'll be able to start stocking it within the next two weeks. I mean, my cycle only started last week, so I'm not expecting any miracles just yet. :P

On another note..

MY LEDS ARE UP AND RUNNING OVER MY TANK!!!!

They look amazing, and the ability to control the blues and whites to make whatever color temperature I want is just fantastic! The shimmer you get from these LEDs is truly incredible. More like, "Here, let me burn your retinas," incredible. The fixture is extremely low profile, and is bolted to my light tree so there is no sagging, swinging, or anything like that, and the fixture hangs about 9 inches from the surface of the water. I have a 120mm fan running on top of the heatsink for better heat dissipation and last night I went and setup the max current for these awesome LEDs. Right now the XP-G R5 Cool Whites are running at 1.3A when the dimmer is set at 100%, and the XP-E Royal Blues are running at 850mA's when the dimmer is set to 100%. I could have gone to 900mA for the Royal Blues, but I chose to hover around the 800 range for better life span. It shouldn't affect PAR numbers much since they're only set to 50mA's less then their max current.

I love these LED's so much, and the color is incredible. I can not wait to see coral under these.

Pictures later tonight!

P.S. I would like to personally thank evil, Milad, nanotrevor, and sammy for much help along the way with these LEDs, and also thanks to Glazer for many MANY ideas on how to set this whole thing up. You guys are awesome. Thanks everyone!

AGREED!

Archived