Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

i think so. wasn't there more up on the highest rock?

Definitely. That's where it's the most noticeable. And stuff I pull doesn't grow back.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey gena sorry if you have mentioned this earlier in your thread but I was wondering what setting you run your vortech on and what intensity/percentage you run it at. Thanks :happy:

Hey gena sorry if you have mentioned this earlier in your thread but I was wondering what setting you run your vortech on and what intensity/percentage you run it at. Thanks :happy:

I have never given that information, actually!!!! I run it under 50%, probably like 30%. And the setting is purple. I don't remember what that is. I'll have to google it. I keep the flow low for the mushrooms. I've been able to find the sweet spot for all the corals, they are mostly happy :)

I'm still trying to find my corals sweet spot with my vortech. I'll have to try your settings and see how it goes.

I just looked it up. Purple is Lagoon Random.

Guys!!!!! Can you tell the algae is receding? Please say yes and mean it :lol:

It does look better!

Kent Tech M.... I may have to get some, my algae just won't die, and the snails only want to graze on the back glass.....

Tanks both look amazing though, I love you Freshwater planted. Very nice. ;)

Kent Tech M.... I may have to get some, my algae just won't die, and the snails only want to graze on the back glass.....

Get a Molly!

nevermore1701
It does look better!

Tanks both look amazing though, I love you Freshwater planted. Very nice. ;)

My new CUC has absolutely DEMOLISHED my GHA problem that I've been fighting for the last 6 months. I credit the urchin more than anything, he just mowed through that stuff like no tomorrow!

Get a Molly!

Not going to happen, I am full up on the fish level. No more fish. Everything is nice and peaceful no more additions. Only corals

My new CUC has absolutely DEMOLISHED my GHA problem that I've been fighting for the last 6 months. I credit the urchin more than anything, he just mowed through that stuff like no tomorrow!

I may have to get a few more Blue Leg Hermits, and one Turbo to replace the one that died for no reason. Shorter light cycle is helping though.

Great use of a small tank! I have a 28 and it doesn't look half as good.

Thank you :happy:

I credit the urchin more than anything, he just mowed through that stuff like no tomorrow!

I was constantly cursing at mine :lol:

I had them before I had algae issues. Maybe that's why I lost them...not enough algae.

Thanks, Randi....and Ethan ;):happy:

It definitely hasn't died :) I do love it!

I accidently fragged my birdsnest a little yesterday, while pulling algae out. This morning I took the tiny tips I broke and glued them to the rock. I'll be curious to see if they survive. I doubt it, but it would be sweet if they did :)

Happened with mine when we took it off the plug. Now that little piece is throwing out branches in spots, and tips are forming.

Birdsnest are tough cookies.

Lol I hope so - its a cool algae, I don't think I could have a tank without it. Eventually - Im going to wrap the entire base rock on the right(the rock its currently on) in my tank with it, and will more then likely move the rics to back of tank. Remove the Mushrooms - Leathers, add a couple sps....Im in love with the algae, and the assessor hides behind it haha

If the polyps are out it will be fine! LMAO silly Birdies are like weeds.

Everyone goes on about how hard SPS is and I have had great success in my t5 lit tank. Colors are coming in like crazy and PE is awesome.

I bet you have a little birdie forest in a few months!

I've had different types of macros in my reefs and this is by far my favorite. I also like halimeda.

Pink birdsnest forest would be awesome :)

Gena, the new FTS looks great. Not that your algae was ever very noticeable before, but it does look like its going away. Yay! Are the rics coloring up more now that you moved them out of the shade?

+1! Once it's full you'd been dosing like crazy though.

Maybe not though, since I do 2 water changes a week!!!! I had to re-glue one of the tiny birdie frags since I knocked it off during my water change. Hopefully it will be ok!!!! I went out after my water change and didn't get home until the lights were out so no idea if the polyps came out again.

Thanks, Felicia!!!!! I wonder if there's a way for me to get rid of most, but keep a nice small patch for my GBGs???? They love to eat the stuff or whatever is hiding in it. I see them pull big (for them) patches of algae off and eat it..no spitting out!!!!

I haven't noticed a change in ricordea color yet. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it today though. I'll look tomorrow and report back on it.

I took the dragons tongue out during my water change and glued it to a frag tile. I was surprised how easy it was to keep glued down. I figured with the slimyness of it, it would be impossible. Not the case at all. I did move it to the low light area I had mentioned. It looks good there. I just hope it will do well in that location!!!!

Ricordeas are all doing well. Felicia asked if they've colored back up. I think so????? The blue was the only one that faded and it looks a little darker today :)

ricordea1-28-12.jpg

Here's were I relocated the Dragons Tongue macro algae. I read online that this coral is found in deeper waters so it will do well with low light. Higher light yields a lighter red color while lower light will yield a deeper red. We'll see if that holds true. I like where it is right now. I put it in the corner that I tried to put the rics in. It's a nice splash of color, just like I wanted :happy: Bonus firefish pics too :)

yelena1-28-12no2.jpg

yelena1-28-12.jpg

Archived