Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to only sell corals that are colorful by themselves with no added artificial colors or preservatives. :P

Do you offer local pickup? I am in Palm Beach and would love to order from you, I would just prefer to pick them up if possible since your only a little ways from me.

Gena awesome! They looks so happy!

I told you guys...when you order from Morgan (reefgardener.net), what you see is really what you get!!!!!!! She will have my business as long as they are in business...which I hope is forever :happy:

Here's another picture. This is a wider shot so you can see my placement. I'll have to keep an eye on them because they are not in a very sunny location right now. I'll move them if I see they aren't handling it well. Keeping my fingers crossed that they do great there because that's where I want them!!!! Oh, and some more shots of my GBGs :)

newrics2.jpg

goby1-25no3.jpg

goby1-25no2.jpg

goby1-25.jpg

nevermore1701
I got him at petco :eek:

He's been an awesome fish!!!!!

I saw one at my Petco, but all the fish have ich and every piece of rock has dozens of aiptasia :o

I was quite hesitant to purchase him. I'm so glad I did!!!!! I examined him very carefully before purchasing too. I probably stared at him for 45 minutes before making the decision :lol:

I also got my devils hand leather and kenya tree from petco. I don't go there to buy coral, but if something looks good, I'll buy it.

My local Petco doesn't carry any saltwater fish or coral. Just a sad selection of freshwater community fish and a few cichlids. I'm thinking about checking out another LFS, so maybe they'll have a black or mocha clown. I'm going to get a pair for the 30 gallon and one orange one and one black would be cool.

nevermore1701
My local Petco doesn't carry any saltwater fish or coral. Just a sad selection of freshwater community fish and a few cichlids. I'm thinking about checking out another LFS, so maybe they'll have a black or mocha clown. I'm going to get a pair for the 30 gallon and one orange one and one black would be cool.

I wish our Petco didn't carry any fish, they're disgusting.

I wish our Petco didn't carry any fish, they're disgusting.

That's the employees' fault. Ours isn't great, but I've seen worse. If you or I worked there, it would be awesome :happy:

nevermore1701
That's the employees' fault. Ours isn't great, but I've seen worse. If you or I worked there, it would be awesome :happy:

I ran the petcare department in the local Petsmart for two and a half years. You are 100% right. Funny, the Petco (which has only been here for two years) is staffed almost entirely by people we fired :P

I got the pump on eBay. If you don't have a powerhead for extra flow in your tank, you'll want to go with the 900 (if you're looking for more flow). This seems about equal, or a just a little more flow, compared to the stock pump.

I have an NC12 just like yours (nowhere near as beautiful), would I benefit or would you recomend an extra powerhead? Could I just get two maxi-jett 600's and stick one in my back chamber as a utility pump and use one as a powerhead?? Would that be wise?

Thanks for any help for newbie question

I have an NC12 just like yours (nowhere near as beautiful), would I benefit or would you recomend an extra powerhead? Could I just get two maxi-jett 600's and stick one in my back chamber as a utility pump and use one as a powerhead?? Would that be wise?

First, thank you :happy:

I think it depends on what you are planning to stock coral-wise. I highly recommend switching out the return pump for the maxi-jet pump. Make sure you get the original style. They recently changed them and I'm not sure if the new style can be used as a return pump????? I haven't seen one in person. If you are planning sps, you'll want the 900 return plus a powerhead in the tank. Koralias are good powerheads. Even the new maxi-jet pros look nice. Otherwise if you just want softies, I think the one maxi-jet 900 return pump, in the back chamber, would be sufficient.

This is what it states the new maxi-pro models can do from their website

"With both internal and external capability, this remarkable unit easily converts to function as a power head, circulation pump, or utility pump."

I am assuming that it is used as a utility pump placed in the rear chamber???

sorry for more newb questions.

And I think I want to do some SPS in the long run, so might as well get the 900 now.

Oh, then that's good. I was going to buy the old style again as a backup, but if this one works as a utility pump, then no need :)

Yep...get the 900 for sure.

Oh....a picture (sorry, a little blurry). :happy:

Ooh, I love that green one! My rics are doing well, except that the pale blue with pink mouth one has really faded quite a bit. It seems healthy and happy, and short of moving into someplace dark, it's as far from the light that I can manage. I don't think bleaching is the problem in terms of lighting -- maybe just a water chemistry thing?

The big clump of clove is almost completely dead now -- the xenia on it are still doing fine and the cloves on the mushroom frag are looking just fine, too. Don't know what did it!

Ooh, I love that green one! My rics are doing well, except that the pale blue with pink mouth one has really faded quite a bit. It seems healthy and happy, and short of moving into someplace dark, it's as far from the light that I can manage. I don't think bleaching is the problem in terms of lighting -- maybe just a water chemistry thing?

The big clump of clove is almost completely dead now -- the xenia on it are still doing fine and the cloves on the mushroom frag are looking just fine, too. Don't know what did it!

It's so frustrating trying to figure out what is irritating things. They seem to go in cycles of happiness :lol: Moody corals!!!!!

My new blue ricordea with the bright green mouth is looking pale today. The mouth is still bright green, but the blue is not as deep purple/blue. The others are just as brightly colored as when they arrived. I moved the blues to more light to see if that makes a difference. I probably should have left it where it was since it's probably just adjusting. But, it was the most shaded of the group. We'll see what happens.

I was wondering why you didn't stick the ricordia in some of the holes closer to the light? I don't really think they'll hold color well in that corner, unless you have really strong lights. I keep mine in a basket pretty much under my 400w radium to give you an idea of the light. Ricordia can do well in low light, but my best color esp on the pink, orange, blue, etc morphs stronger light is better.

I was wondering why you didn't stick the ricordia in some of the holes closer to the light? I don't really think they'll hold color well in that corner, unless you have really strong lights. I keep mine in a basket pretty much under my 400w radium to give you an idea of the light. Ricordia can do well in low light, but my best color esp on the pink, orange, blue, etc morphs stronger light is better.

I wanted to keep them on the sandbed since I seem to do better with them there as opposed to the rock. I was hoping to be able to have them in the corner to brighten it up. Thank you for letting me know this!!!!! I moved all to the front. That will have to just be a drab corner :lol:

You could put some meteor shower cyphastrea in that corner, mine loves the shade.

I have your meteor shower cyphastrea :happy:

It's actually in that corner on the rocks, in the shade! I recently moved it because it was getting stung by a mushroom. It's recuperating...needs to color back up :)

Archived