Pod Your Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

surgicalsense

Absolutely :) ... I need me some more corals. However, I do not want to go crazy because of my lighting issue still.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely :) ... I need me some more corals. However, I do not want to go crazy because of my lighting issue still.

I think your lighting is perfectly fine for everything but sps. I would have even thought the monti would have been ok up high...that was surprising to me.

It's looking so green in my tank. It's starting to get the purple rim now too. All of the sps are growing a lot!!!!!!

I just assumed it was like how the new never reports good stories. They can't run a business solely on duping people into one time purchases. They need repeat business.

I don't think I'd drive for it though. Maybe if I end up at wvu I would, as it's ~2 hours to mr coral.

4 hours is a little much just for Mr. Coral. But if you had something else to do in the area it would be worth it. It sounds like a nice place!

Excellent, I am glad that purple rim is coming back also. Now the colors should look amazing :)

I've never had such success with coral colors as I am now with these LEDs. It's amazing! I can't wait till you get yours...you will see the difference :)

surgicalsense
I've never had such success with coral colors as I am now with these LEDs. It's amazing! I can't wait till you get yours...you will see the difference :)

Me too! :P Your colors look amazing and they are so pretty.

Sooo jealous of the new ricordeas, those will be gorgeous! I oggle that website all the time, but I just have a hard time bringing myself to pay shipping when I've got such a good LFS for coral within 30 minutes of me. I can't wait to see pics of them in your tank!

Oh, and if you're not worried about something to eat algae in the FW tank, cory cats are my second favorite after plecos. They are absolutely adorable and tend to have fun personalities. They're also the perfect size for a pico.

You know, I noticed my plants looked happier when I did no water changes. They like phosphates and there is that in food and fish poop. I would just suck the nasty poo out that I saw and pour water back in. Less then a gallon or so at a time. Every time I did my cories would spawn and then I would have baby fish.

Look into the Rubberlips pleco. They stay small and wont eat the plants and eat the algae like little lawnmowers. Besides he is so cute!

Cories and plecos are the best reasons to have a freshwater! I've had just cories before b/c I liked them so much -- especially pandas: really cute coloring, though I've never had any of mine spawn. I have a bristle nosed pleco (I think that's what it is -- really cool brown and tan coloring) that has been in the tank for about 1 year and still isn't 4" long. OTOH, I had to trade in a pleco that had outgrown a 10 gallon -- I swear it was at least 6", not including the tail! I fed it veggie wafers (actual name of food) everyday and he ate them like goldfish eat pellets. I've also noticed that I have far fewer snails when a happy pleco is in the tank. Don't know why that is since I don't think they eat them, but the trend is true nonetheless.

Oh snap joel your not to far from me, I'm on the eastern shore(delmarva peninsula). Close to ocean city,maryland the vacation spot for all college kids not from here haha...

I really need to research the options I have for algae control. I'm hoping the plants will eat up the nutrients so that I won't really have much algae. I've never had algae problems with FW like with SW, which is why I never even considered an algae eater for this pico! I do like the panda cory cats though! I did a little research on them yesterday. The only thing I'm concerned about is that they prefer high pH while the plants I have like lower. More research is needed!!!!!! I need more hours in the day :lol:

Last night I pulled out my new red LED flashlight and found my pom pom crabs either in the throes of made passionate love....OR....passionately trying to kill each other :lol: Today I see one is out for certain. So at least I still have one if it was a fight. But...I saw the other day that neither have poms :rant:

I think it's safe to say you cannot add a pompom crab (with poms) to a tank with a crab that has none. You have to get both with poms, at the same time.

LMAO

Panda cories are cute but they won't eat the algae. They are the ones I was breeding, and I didn't test the water or anything I was bad, I would treat the tap water with Prime, and dump it in the tank. I had 0 algae though with the rubberlips in there. I bet you can acclimate them to the same water as the plants, just do the drip acclimation or float them and add a few spoons of water every few minutes. My PH was low in the FW tank as well.

Kuhli loaches don't get huge but they hide you may not see them.

LMAO

Panda cories are cute but they won't eat the algae. They are the ones I was breeding, and I didn't test the water or anything I was bad, I would treat the tap water with Prime, and dump it in the tank. I had 0 algae though with the rubberlips in there. I bet you can acclimate them to the same water as the plants, just do the drip acclimation or float them and add a few spoons of water every few minutes. My PH was low in the FW tank as well.

Kuhli loaches don't get huge but they hide you may not see them.

Rubblips are awesome. Definitely a staple in a FW tank. Kuhli's hide in the sand a lot. At least mine did :tears:

Rubblips are awesome. Definitely a staple in a FW tank. Kuhli's hide in the sand a lot. At least mine did :tears:

It's nice that Ballz and I agree! LOL

I love FW and had them for over 10 years, only did planted for 6 years but I would love to go back.

i think it is a bit more lust than passion imo

I definitely agree to the lust.....a lust for anemone poms. Now that the poms are gone...I'm hoping it's passion/love.

I definitely agree to the lust.....a lust for anemone poms. Now that the poms are gone...I'm hoping it's passion/love.

perhaps now they will split the nems and share

i think it is a bit more lust than passion imo

^

Eh. Once you get going, those are pretty much synonymous.

Yup.

If I do the rubberlips, I'll have to wait until my moss anchors itself. I can see the pleco getting caught it now :lol:

perhaps now they will split the nems and share

The little nems are gone :tears:

They either killed them when fighting over them, or someone ate them. I've heard of that happening!

If I do the rubberlips, I'll have to wait until my moss anchors itself. I can see the pleco getting caught it now :lol:

The little nems are gone :tears:

They either killed them when fighting over them, or someone ate them. I've heard of that happening!

No Ballz we usually agree I mean in the way of the rubberlips.

OMG! How do you get them new Nems? They can't cheer anymore! :tears:

OMG! How do you get them new Nems? They can't cheer anymore! :tears:

They will just have to remain pomless. You can't buy them separately. I hand feed them everyday so getting food won't be a problem for them.

They will just have to remain pomless. You can't buy them separately. I hand feed them everyday so getting food won't be a problem for them.

Such a bummer! No more cheerleaders ....

Oh well the crabs are cute too. LOL

Archived