Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never had. I think it looks like poop, but would take some if it were for free. -_-

Well...than my tank is full of poop :lol:

Update on my pompom crabs:

One is out walking around..............with no poms :huh:

I'm not 100% sure if it's the new one or not...I think it is. Haven't seen the she-devil yet! I am going to laugh if she is carrying two!!!!!!

No no not like that! :blush:

I know :happy:

It's pink..so I like it a lot. I know some people hate it but, I'm an equal opportunity coral keeper. Price is my only restriction on what I keep in my tank.

I know :happy:

It's pink..so I like it a lot. I know some people hate it but, I'm an equal opportunity coral keeper. Price is my only restriction on what I keep in my tank.

I've never seen a pink variation before. All like a pearl white.

Maybe I'll have to get some and verify it's pink ;)

how do you like the pom poms? i wanna get some for my sump :)

They are awesome. No complaints about them ever. Very peaceful critters...except when they want new poms :lol:

I've never seen a pink variation before. All like a pearl white.

Maybe I'll have to get some and verify it's pink ;)

Once the weather warms up, I'll send you some for free. I think it can travel priority mail.

If that happens, expect a reward somewhere down the road :ninja:

You don't have to do that....unless you really want to. But you have to say what it is before you send it cuz I'm very limited on space :lol:

What state are you in?

surgicalsense

I am sure you will do fine with the xenia, again. Remeber when mine splits again your getting a frag of it. You will see Saturday when you come over.

I wanted to ask you if I could have 2 frag plugs. I will actually begin to cure them and get them ready for the xenia :)

I am sure you will do fine with the xenia, again. Remeber when mine splits again your getting a frag of it. You will see Saturday when you come over.

I wanted to ask you if I could have 2 frag plugs. I will actually begin to cure them and get them ready for the xenia :)

Of course. I'll put them in my purse right now so I don't forget!!!!!

You don't have to do that....unless you really want to. But you have to say what it is before you send it cuz I'm very limited on space :lol:

What state are you in?

TN 37064

surgicalsense
Of course. I'll put them in my purse right now so I don't forget!!!!!

The stalks on the xenia have thickened up again, I have 3 to 4 stalks now (I need to double check the count) once it splits again, that is when I think we should frag 2 stalks or how ever it is suppose to be done :happy:

The stalks on the xenia have thickened up again, I have 3 to 4 stalks now (I need to double check the count) once it splits again, that is when I think we should frag 2 stalks or how ever it is suppose to be done :happy:

We just need to cut it and then fasten it down to the frag plug or a piece of rock. Actually, I prefer a piece of rock. I'll bring that along too. I'll also bring along the "netting" I use to hold the xenia down so it doesn't float away.

surgicalsense
We just need to cut it and then fasten it down to the frag plug or a piece of rock. Actually, I prefer a piece of rock. I'll bring that along too. I'll also bring along the "netting" I use to hold the xenia down so it doesn't float away.

Okay perfect. So I will cure that stuff up in my tank and get it ready.

What I was going to say was cut out the gha and then place something like dragon tongue in its place since its non invasive and looks pretty and has some color and if you place a controllable macro directly over where you pulled out the gha it will light starve what's left and the macro will out compete it and nitrogren starve it. Also didn't realize you had a intank fuge.

Is your media basket before or after your fuge? Are you running any thing for phosphate like rowaphos? If the media basket is after the fuge you could try this with lights out and removal. Do your keep your cheato loose or packed?

Also do you stir your sandbed(I don't care what anyone says - no snail will stir it enough) gha grows more from phates then trates, you might have a lot locked up in your bed?

An established bed is good and bad - breakdown nitrates but phosphates just linger and collect and slowly leach back. I'm just trying to think of ideas since you controlling everything else right....hmmm

Do your nitrates stay at 0? Or under 5?

Can you link me to a page of how your rear chambers. Look/are setup?

You are going to love that little freshwater tank! I use to have a 5 gallon planted tank I had running for a few years before I broke it down. I kept cherry shrimp, snails and at one point a dario dario.

Tank

5galnov.jpg

Dario Dario

dario1.jpg

Purple snail and cherry shrimp

purplebrigg.jpg

It was an awesome tank but it had to come down to make room for the reef. I now have my shrimp and snails in a 40 breeder.

What I was going to say was cut out the gha and then place something like dragon tongue in its place since its non invasive and looks pretty and has some color and if you place a controllable macro directly over where you pulled out the gha it will light starve what's left and the macro will out compete it and nitrogren starve it. Also didn't realize you had a intank fuge.

Is your media basket before or after your fuge? Are you running any thing for phosphate like rowaphos? If the media basket is after the fuge you could try this with lights out and removal. Do your keep your cheato loose or packed?

Also do you stir your sandbed(I don't care what anyone says - no snail will stir it enough) gha grows more from phates then trates, you might have a lot locked up in your bed?

An established bed is good and bad - breakdown nitrates but phosphates just linger and collect and slowly leach back. I'm just trying to think of ideas since you controlling everything else right....hmmm

Do your nitrates stay at 0? Or under 5?

Can you link me to a page of how your rear chambers. Look/are setup?

I knew you'd come through for me!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I'll try to get a link soon. I can't be on long tonight..have some plans. But I will have more time tomorrow.

My media basket is in chamber 1. The basket has 3 compartments. The first holds my floss, the second holds my GFO in a bag, an the last compartment is the fuge/chaeto. The chaeto is kind of compact since the compartment is so small. Every 3rd water change I pull it out and fluff it up, remove some growth, clean the area.

I don't stir the sandbed cuz it will make a mess :lol: plus I don't have a lot of sandbed to get to. There are corals everywhere :)

Nitrates always test at 0

Where can I find red dragon's tongue? I quick searched and only found it on eBay. I want some of that!

It was an awesome tank but it had to come down to make room for the reef. I now have my shrimp and snails in a 40 breeder.

That 5g was gorgeous!!!!!! I hope mine turns out that well. I'm lacking a lot in height with this little picotope. It's going to have to suffice for me though. I picked up some xmas moss today...so pretty. I also grabbed some garden rocks from my backyard. I'll have to put a picture up before too long :)

Do you have a picture of the 40 Breeder? Is that a planted too?

I can not wait to see the fresh water planted pico.

It's coming along :happy:

You'll see it before too long!!!!!! You can set one up for your betta! You know you want to :lol:

Did you happen to buy your new pom pom in burbank? If that was you, I bought the other one haha.

Omgosh!!!! YES...too funny :lol:

How's yours doing? Mine is missing it's poms now. I haven't seen my female to know if she has a hold of them or if she ate them (I've read this happens). She better be holding two poms and she better share with him down the road :lol:

surgicalsense

I have that large bowl in the living room that is kinda like that. It is growing out so fast because of the LEDs it has. My 3g Marineland has barely any growth because of the regular stock bulb. Since my other betta passed I need to clean both tanks anyways and will probably break down the 3g in the meantime, pending thoughts in a way.

And/or I can buy one of those super small LED clip lights and flip the 3g. Either way they both need to be cleaned since I am back in town.

Your little FW plant pico is going to be really neat :happy:

Here's the 40 breeder before hair algae killed just about everything. It's coming back though. All the plants I keep are easy/cheap ones. No C02 no ferts. I have anubias, crypts, moss and some type of hygro. It all grows well and looks nice.

Tangtankjune11.jpg

Archived