Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Rain - A Cube's Life [Bc14]

Rain24

Hey Rain - here's an update on the superglue algae treatment. No new sprigs of algae have popped up and the rocks are super clean. Yay! Never did get brave enough to try peroxide, but its in my back pocket just in case.

Thanks for the update, PC! Were you able to pick off the glue? I'm about to try it on some stubborn spots. The jury is still out on peroxide for me. It does get rid of it initially but I'm getting regrowth. I've been monkeying around with flow and at some point I'm going to see if this water they're selling me at the LFS is really 0 TDS once I get my hands on a TDS meter (or maybe I'll use distilled for now?).

Polarcollision

Thanks for the update, PC! Were you able to pick off the glue? I'm about to try it on some stubborn spots. The jury is still out on peroxide for me. It does get rid of it initially but I'm getting regrowth. I've been monkeying around with flow and at some point I'm going to see if this water they're selling me at the LFS is really 0 TDS once I get my hands on a TDS meter (or maybe I'll use distilled for now?).

Haven't tried prying it off yet. Its that ice-something or other marine superglue in the maroon package that doesn't even hold coral frags to the rock for long, so not too worried about that. Bummer about the algae growing back. :-( Do you think it would help to do massive (like 70-80%) water changes as the bryopsis is dying off to export the nutrients released? Seems to me that multiple rounds of peroxide and export will eventually leave it nothing to grow with.

Distilled was easier for me to come by and it tests 0 on PO4 and NO3 consistently. It's giving better results than the RO/DI from LFS

Haven't tried prying it off yet. Its that ice-something or other marine superglue in the maroon package that doesn't even hold coral frags to the rock for long, so not too worried about that. Bummer about the algae growing back. :-( Do you think it would help to do massive (like 70-80%) water changes as the bryopsis is dying off to export the nutrients released? Seems to me that multiple rounds of peroxide and export will eventually leave it nothing to grow with.

Distilled was easier for me to come by and it tests 0 on PO4 and NO3 consistently. It's giving better results than the RO/DI from LFS

Let me know how that goes when you do decide to pick it off. :)

I might have to try to do a bigger water change next time AND I'm going to pick up distilled water too just to see how that goes. I'm doing the peroxide dipping in phases (not all of the rocks at once so I hopefully don't lose all of the bacteria), and spot treating what I can. Plus, I try to brush the stuff off first.

Polarcollision

Let me know how that goes when you do decide to pick it off. :)

I might have to try to do a bigger water change next time AND I'm going to pick up distilled water too just to see how that goes. I'm doing the peroxide dipping in phases (not all of the rocks at once so I hopefully don't lose all of the bacteria), and spot treating what I can. Plus, I try to brush the stuff off first.

Crossing my fingers for you!

polarblair2000

8319031602_04978060c4.jpg

Acans on 12/27/2012

8317973407_0a732ef309.jpg

Duncan on 12/27/2012 before it was moved to the sand bed

Love that Acan! Thats going to look amazing once it grows out.

And the Duncan looks pretty awesome, My duncan is one of my favourite corals in my tank right now. Love there movement.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi Rain24, I have an Oceanic Biocube 14g. I want to replace the return pump.  How did you remove the old one? How did you remove the elbow? Is it as simple as pulling the elbow up?

Thanks