Pod Your Reef

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics

I got sidetracked writing a rough draft of a paper 12-14 hours a day over the weekend/beginning of the week

I'll probably get around to it tomorrow, with pics of course :P Paint in AM, silicone in PM.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

Well I got the overflow all siliconed up. I definitely should have used black silicone. You can see a little bit of light through the clear silicone on the inside corners, which is super annoying. I'm not going to totally re-do it, cause that's too big of a PIA, but I'm gonna buy some black silicone now to smear on the inside of the overflow box corners to block out the light. -_- Live n learn.

Yeah, this is starting to remind a little of another thread on here, can't think of who it is though....

It's right on the edge of my brain, hmmm....

hmmmm I wonder who......

HD, nice tank... I really like ADA's

reeftankguy
Yeah, this is starting to remind a little of another thread on here, can't think of who it is though....

It's right on the edge of my brain, hmmm....

hmmmm I wonder who......

I don't think Weet's is referring to you. You’re not that notorious yet Dude…

She was referring to AM I believe ;)

I knew that I was just playin along ;)

HecticDialectics

I'm now considering whether to rip out the overflow and redo it completely with black... I don't like my edge seam on the overflow either. There's a few bubbles that may or may not be obvious once I get my bright ass lights over them. -_-

I found a 2.8oz tube of RTV 103 black silicone for $6 online at a website called skygeek. RTV 103 (black)/108 (white and clear) is the high strength stuff folks recommend for big tank builds. Skygeek has 2.8oz tubes of the RTV103 for nearly the same price as Home Depot/Lowes sells the "aquarium sealant" which is a far worse silicone as far as adhesion strength goes.

I'll decide what to do once that gets to my apartment. :X

doppelganger

I say redo as well. Just because it'll probably keep bothering you and u'll just be redoing it later which will be a bigger headache. Get it just the way you like!

HecticDialectics

Redo it is. I took a few pictures of my tank with the overflow as it is currently. I'll post them along with pics for silicone removal plus tips on how to make it not turn out crappy like mine did the first time after I get this black silicone in the mail. I'd guess Wed/Thurs some time.

Lol, actually I WAS referring to MD!

HD I may know of a place to get a small reactor. I've been talking with a company that makes diy kits about downsizing their current version. I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested.

HecticDialectics
HD I may know of a place to get a small reactor. I've been talking with a company that makes diy kits about downsizing their current version. I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested.

Definitely, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on materials to build my own. I figure around ~$100 would buy me materials for 12 nano-reactors, but I don't really want to make 12 lol. I reckon I could sell the extras for $15-20 a pop, but eh.

HecticDialectics
why not just a single brs media reactor? they aren't that big.

I want one for carbon, one for GFO. One BRS reactor is HUGE imo. 14" tall? gtfo! Two measure 14x14x5. That's almost as big as my tank. They hold like 2 cups of media. For comparison, a nano tank needs a couple tablespoons of carbon or gfo. I'm envisioning a media reactor 2 1/2" around and 6" tall...hold 4 cups of water and accommodate 1/3 cup of media. And it must be sexy. The BRS reactor is not sexy.

Make me some, stevie. I'll advertise it for you.

doppelganger

yeah this is true... I had one on a 10G and it's pretty big. I feel like the media almost gets lost in the foam because there's so little. I don't mind it much on a standard but with an ADA it will really look kinda fugly.

You'll have a sump tho so... can be as fugly as u want down there :P

true. i'm used to it on my 40 but thats alot bigger than your tank. talk to the folks at aero shield off of hempstead i think they do acrylic tubing.

HecticDialectics
true. i'm used to it on my 40 but thats alot bigger than your tank. talk to the folks at aero shield off of hempstead i think they do acrylic tubing.

Sweet. I'll have to give them a call and see how the prices would compare to a few online sites I found.

HecticDialectics

I'm waiting for a giant check in the mail, but I've added an SWC Xtreme 120 cone skimmer, a Bubble Magnus dosing pump, a JBJ Artica chiller, and a Ranco dual stage temp controller to my list of stuff to buy. :ninja: Buying stuff is so fun.

My black silicone is still in the mail. -_- Looks like tracking says either today or tomorrow.

Archived