Innovative Marine Aquariums

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

fewskillz

I bought my skimmer from AC. They shipped it out quick too, and that was around Christmas time. So what'd ya get?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

lumatek switchable ballast, reef optix 3, and a pheonix 14k 150W :ninja:

and a magnesium test kit cause its cheaper there than BRS

anyone know if i can run the 150W DE pheonix at 175W with the switchable ballast (it does 150/175/250)? would that be like overdriving it? lol

nano-paul

That is all kinds of win right there.

I like the idea of switchable ballasts. That way if you ever upgrade you don't have to replace it.

HecticDialectics
That is all kinds of win right there.

I like the idea of switchable ballasts. That way if you ever upgrade you don't have to replace it.

exactly what i was thinkin... if/when i get sick of the weee 10G, the ballast is future-proof. And the ####er was only $10 more expensive than the regular ballast.

my skimmer's quieting down too. it's not actually skimming anything tho cause I'm such a hoss at cycling. I need fish. tank's coming together. B)

nano-paul
exactly what i was thinkin... if/when i get sick of the weee 10G, the ballast is future-proof. And the ####er was only $10 more expensive than the regular ballast.

Not to mention they don't make a sound. You don't hear them hum or anything. Plus they now have the sunlight supply plug quick disconnect in them.

fewskillz

Will you two quit selling me on that ballast, I don't have the money for 3 of them right now.

nano-paul
Will you two quit selling me on that ballast, I don't have the money for 3 of them right now.

THEY ARE ALL AWESOME AND STUFF ;)

HecticDialectics

ITS ####ING PURPLE! what more needs to be said?

srsly the thing sells itself.

HecticDialectics

Sand is chilling in the tank, but I think I put just a hair too much, so I'm going to take out a cupful or two. Lighting set to arrive Tuesday. They held the order and called me because they were out of salifert magnesium test kits, so I just dropped the test kit. Tuesday arrival is actually perfect because Tuesday is also the last day of my law school finals. Expect lots of pictures Wednesday-Friday. :X

HecticDialectics
Why is this tank taking forever?

Nanocustoms.

I would have had my tank set up months ago if I had a light to put over it. Without a light, I just didn't see any point in rushing everything.

HecticDialectics
WTH? Tell them to send you your light right now.

I told them to blow off. I ordered MH stuff.

montipora
anyone know if i can run the 150W DE pheonix at 175W with the switchable ballast (it does 150/175/250)? would that be like overdriving it? lol

yes it is overdring it. people do it with T5's all the time. More stress on the bulbs and you will not get the full life expected out of the bulb. Overdriving bulbs can cause the person to have a huge ego, short in stature, and drive a Nissan thinking he's a ballin lawler.

HecticDialectics

Cool, based on the phoenix time-ppfd charts someone linked a page or two ago, I'm thinking I'll run it at 150W for 4-5 months then flip the switch to 175... the tail is super long on these things

montipora

That's not a half bad idea actually, kinda like breaking it in. Gonna suck if the bulb doesn't take to it very well lol, better keep a second one handy just in case. Also pics of the different wattages over the tank would be cool.

HecticDialectics

I'll have to look around and see if anyone local has a ppfd meter. It would be interesting.

and a magnesium test kit cause its cheaper there than BRS

This is the set-up that I've actually been using for almost a year now. I ran the Phoenix 14k at 150W for 7 months then I turned the ballast switch to 175W and ran it for a couple of months more before replacing the bulb. There was a pretty noticeable increase in brightness from the increase in wattage but I never took PAR measurements.

HecticDialectics
This is the set-up that I've actually been using for almost a year now. I ran the Phoenix 14k at 150W for 7 months then I turned the ballast switch to 175W and ran it for a couple of months more before replacing the bulb. There was a pretty noticeable increase in brightness from the increase in wattage but I never took PAR measurements.

Sweet. Good to hear from someone who's been using the same setup. Specially cause your tank is awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

HecticDialectics

Room temp 78, tank temp before MH: 80. Tank temp 2 hours after MH: 82. Chiller from BRS I ordered a day or two ago is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. :lol:

I normally set my AC for 82-83 when I leave, looks like I'll have to keep it lower for a few days. Nevertheless, I absolutely do not regret, in the slightest, ditching the nanocustoms t5/led hybrid for this MH. :D

Lee Van Reef

Tank looks sexy.

Do you have any issues with it overflowing when you stick your hand in? It looks like the water is almost at the rim.

HecticDialectics

I just stick it in slow :lol:

Dremeling the overflow down a quarter inch is on my to-do list. :X

Lee Van Reef

Lol.

I had the same problem with mine, I just cut it out and bought another piece of glass.

Archived