Innovative Marine Aquariums

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just cracked my sump by picking it up. :angry: I hate Aqueon.
Ouch, that's like a blow to the family jewels. I know it was a lot of work, but (given the care you've put into ths project) I'm kind of surprised you aren't planning to make another. Was it just their use of thin glass, or was the break due to something else?
HecticDialectics
Ouch, that's like a blow to the family jewels. I know it was a lot of work, but (given the care you've put into ths project) I'm kind of surprised you aren't planning to make another. Was it just their use of thin glass, or was the break due to something else?

I might still re-do it. I said I wouldn't out of anger at the time. :lol:

The only thing is, because of the way the glass cracked, it doesn't seem like it'll matter functionally, especially if I just put a quick siliconed patch over it.

Literally all I did was pick up the sump. Just further proof why aqueon sucks.

If it were me, I'd just slap some silicone over it.

But hey, we all know I'm not into doing those classy setups like you. ;)

HecticDialectics

Almost ready to set up, I filled it 2/3 with saltwater and installed the bulkheads, need to run the hoses to the sump still. I just realized I probably should have checked for leaks in the overflow before I came to the library for the rest of the day lol Or at least hooked up the hoses so that water doesn't just leak into the overflow and flood spill a gallon or two of saltwater behind the cabinet. Oops. Hopefully it's not leaking. Looked fine this morning... now I'm nervous and typing stream of conscience. I really don't want to drive home and have to come back to the library.

Anyway, I still need to make another 5 gallon batch of saltwater to fill the sump, so my estimate is Monday night for complete plumbing installed and moving my live rock from my curing bucket to the actual tank. :X

Now if only I had my t5-led hybrid from nanocustoms... -_- The only light I have is my old, pathetic 9w jbj picotope light, it'll be enough to get a general sense of how it looks, so I'll post a teaser image with it later.

Man, almost 28,000 posts and you still don't have water in it.. You lawyers research and talk to much.. Hurry up and get it done already :lol:

Looks good and following along to see how it looks. So far it's looking pretty sweet.

HecticDialectics

Thanks!

This is technically my 4th tank. :P I was pretty piss-poor at documenting the first two. My first tank was a 29G algae fest. Then my second tank, 50G acrylic, started leaking and I went on a year and a half break. I don't think I ever took a picture of my pico that I had for something like a year, either, lol.

Thanks!

This is technically my 4th tank. :P I was pretty piss-poor at documenting the first two. My first tank was a 29G algae fest. Then my second tank, 50G acrylic, started leaking and I went on a year and a half break. I don't think I ever took a picture of my pico that I had for something like a year, either, lol.

lol..Yeah, I hate taking pics and documenting stuff. Looking good bro and let's see some water in the tank tomorrow night:)

HecticDialectics

Leaky bulkhead seal covered in RTV 103 silicone... shouldn't be havin any problems from that any time soon :lol:

24 hrs cure time still puts me on track for Monday night cycled rock transfer. :ninja:

how does that glass top not crack, with those two cabinets, being so out of whack???? :huh:

looks like the one door might be open

HecticDialectics
Alright, it's got water in it!! :)

By tonight the cycle begins....

Cycle hell! I've been cycling my rock for two months in a bucket with a heater and a koralia. :lol: This ain't my first rodeo. :D I'm throwing like 13 chromis in there this upcoming Sunday. Which reminds me I need to order my skimmer tomorrow. I'll take a pic of the sump after I get the skimmer. I also have maybe 5-8 pounds of rock (real rock, not rubble) in the sump that was cycling with my main tank rock for extra filtration.

how does that glass top not crack, with those two cabinets, being so out of whack???? :huh:

looks like the one door might be open

<Touches finger to nose>

The door was slightly ajar. And the glass top is just a glass sheet on top of the cabinet. And under the tank is a piece of marine starboard. So the 100ish pounds of weight in from my 10 gallon is spread out over an 18x12" area, so what's that? Less than a half pound per square inch? Good to go!

Btw the starboard is awesome. I can, with just a little force, slide my tank around full of water. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
HecticDialectics

I'm canceling my t5-hybrid order monday if they don't post a picture of the "jig" nanocustoms has been working on for the past month

So the big question: 150W or 250W MH... and pheonix 14k or radium 20k?

The dilemma: radium 20k is only in the 150W DE, 250W SE. All of the smaller MH fixtures are DE. I'm leaning towards radium 150W.

HecticDialectics

Apparently the 150W radiums arent like their big brethren. I may go pheonix.

Other inputs??

nano-paul
Apparently the 150W radiums arent like their big brethren. I may go pheonix.

Other inputs??

No other inputs in 150w. phoenix is the best there is IMO. Ushios look ok too. But other than those 2 I dunno.

Archived