• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
6 weeks since set-up

FullTank07022011.jpg

Duncan07022011.jpg

CandyCane07022011.jpg

Hard to see the growth on the duncan, but the smaller heads are almost twice as big as they were 6 weeks ago. The candy cane is more obvious, you can see the larger separation between the splitting heads.

I need to write down the camera settings I use on the FTS so I get more consistent color between pics. -_-

Also need to buy some more coral. :P

Tank's looking good! I love duncans but they do grow fast.

HecticDialectics

Whoops, haven't checked in in awhile! Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Did you put the SWC 120 on this?

Yup, but it doesn't produce much. Mostly just gathers a thick sludge around the top of the neck with maybe 1/4 cup of light tea every week or so no matter how I adjust it. I feed every day, but I think it needs a bit higher bioload than I'm giving it. It'll probably produce better if I get a third fish. I only have to clean the glass every 2-3 weeks.

Tank's looking good! I love duncans but they do grow fast.

I hope so! lol My plan is to have the duncans cover the entire lower portion of the rock. There's two or three new heads sprouting already.

HecticDialectics

Lights turned on just a bit ago, duncan still opening so I figured I'd snap a shot of one of the baby heads. The second is on the other side.

DuncanBaby.jpg

HecticDialectics

5 to 10PM. Keeps the MH during the cooler part of the day, so my AC doesn't have to fight the sun and the MH. Actually not sure why the Duncan wasn't fully open at 6:30, probably my sixline. He likes to pick at it every now and then for food. Gotta stuff him or he'll pull mysis right out.

I keep meaning to move it to 6 hours but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
HecticDialectics
Wow! Looking good so far... How do you like the SWC?

Thanks! It's pretty good. I think it's a bit oversized for my tank. It doesn't produce much, but my water is pristine with daily mysis feeding and only 1 water change in the past 3 months, so I can't complain. :lol:

More pictures needed.
Hey Mini Me... where is an update?

It basically looks exactly like the pic a month ago but with a little more coralline on the rocks. I'm all poor and stuff 'til I snag a job, so I can't really run out and buy a few big SPS pieces I want for another month or two or three. :P

The baby duncan heads are around 1/4" full heads now instead of little 1/8" buds... candy cane still slowly splitting.

looking good HD! you're the man.. i love those duncans too! let me know how that SWC skimmer do. i was thinking about getting one for my new tank but we'll see how your's skimmer will do first. Lol

Deleted User 6
It basically looks exactly like the pic a month ago but with a little more coralline on the rocks. I'm all poor and stuff 'til I snag a job, so I can't really run out and buy a few big SPS pieces I want for another month or two or three. :P

lame-ass excuse imo. pics or die.

and by die i mean just go somewhere and die. i can't be bothered to assist.

HecticDialectics
Lookin really nice :) Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

looking good HD! you're the man.. i love those duncans too! let me know how that SWC skimmer do. i was thinking about getting one for my new tank but we'll see how your's skimmer will do first. Lol

Thanks! I only have 16-17 gallons of water with 2 fish, and I have an extra 6 or 8 pounds of live rock in my sump, so I think the bioload and water volume are just on the low side for constant production by the SWC 120. I think it'd work great in tanks with 25+ gallons of water and another fish or two. It's super quiet. I can't hear it at all sitting four or five feet away from my tank.

lame-ass excuse imo. pics or die.

and by die i mean just go somewhere and die. i can't be bothered to assist.

I guess I could post a sump picture or something. I'll see if I feel like taking pics later tonight when the lights come on. :lol:

Archived