Top Shelf Aquatics

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

It is difficult to tell from the photo. It could be bryopsis.

edit: I see that you've written that it isn't. How was that judgement made? I'm just curious.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Reefcleaners

Green Turf Algae

What is known as "Green Turf Algae" in the hobby is really a generic name given to hundreds of different species of macroalgae that describe certain similar characteristics. They are coarse, wiry, and generally have thicker wider blades than Green Hair Algae. They may or may not have a mat like root structure, sometimes they just seem to sprout from the rock.

Turf algae that sprouts directly from the rock can be a pain to control, as it is difficult if not impossible to pluck it all. Once discovered it should be treated outside of the aquarium, perhaps by dipping the affected rock or frag in water treated with an algaecide.Turf algae that grows with a "root" mat can be peeled by pushing down on the algae as you scrape your thumb against the rock dislodging it in one swoop. Let it get big enough so you have leverage.

Clean up Crew members that will eat Green Turf Algae include inverts with considerable cutting power like urchins, chitons, and emerald crabs.

It is difficult to tell from the photo. It could be bryopsis.

edit: I see that you've written that it isn't. How was that judgement made? I'm just curious.

Looking here- at the Reef Cleaners website it looks like bryopsis looks to grow in a pattern that looks like a feather. This stuff is a little more randomly branching.

So I'm thinking I might keep my eye out for a tiny urchin.

PEROXIDE!

Bahahaha. You funny. Me, working to eradicate a pest? Hah!

TURBO SNAILZ!

Turboz could happen. Probably a better idea than an urchin since they won't try to wear my frags...

I'm also thinking of getting a dwarf sea hare sometime in the near future to try to eliminate the grape caulerpa in my system. I don't think there's even a little bit of chaeto left in my bottom tank... damn caulerpa just kills it.

Turboz could happen. Probably a better idea than an urchin since they won't try to wear my frags...

I'm also thinking of getting a dwarf sea hare sometime in the near future to try to eliminate the grape caulerpa in my system. I don't think there's even a little bit of chaeto left in my bottom tank... damn caulerpa just kills it.

I would help you take that thing out, take out the back wall you made and then add a compartment/divider where you can keep the chaeto. I would need gloves, tea and lunch.

I would help you take that thing out, take out the back wall you made and then add a compartment/divider where you can keep the chaeto. I would need gloves, tea and lunch.

Wait, what? Take the wall out? Or the urchin? Or the caulerpa? Haha. I'm confused.

Tank update-

Did sand bed cleanup today... FS thread soon.

Straight up murdered like 50 heads of those damn giant green palys too, since they're taking over the world in there. Polds n Ginks are next... Except those are actually fraggable, so I can frag without committing more paly murder.

020.jpg

022.jpg

...sorry for not adjusting light balance. Oops. -_-

We're taking the wall out.

We can take out the caulerpa too

Umm... Not a chance. It's 1/4" glass, heavy silicone all around, supported by 6 baffles, with rock, egg crate and Great Stuff foam (which is essentially foamy super glue) holding it all together. The only way that wall would go down is if I removed the entire sump and threw it in the trash.

OMG!

You moved the leather in there too?

Where's my red grape?

Yea...I put the 3 head leather in there. I just moved it around when putting the Macro in so it's all closed up in that shot.

Ummm..the red grape ???....oh boy.

Well, when I first beefed up the lighting I had a massive algae outbreak because it was a fish only system and was somewhat polluted. I now have that all under control, but...well....the red grapes didn't make it. They got pretty smothered with hair algae.

Oh man! Holy Bat Fish! How cool. How long have you had him?

He he heeee.. 4 YEARS. :D

Hey Kris,

THanks again for the macro. I wasnt expecting so much!!!

dsc0571ar.jpg

dsc0565xw.jpg

No prob dude. One man's trash is another man's treasure... I'm just happy to have the stuff out of my tank and going toward something constructive. I hate having to toss macro in the trash all the time since caulerpa is impossible to sell locally.

Btw- if you see my lettuce nudis crawl out of that macro, I'm going to have to be an indian giver. They disappeared months ago somewhere in that jungle....

There might be pink/white sponge in there... and some colonial feather dusters.

-edit (just got home)

...now that I'm looking in my fuge... there is a lot of crazy cryptic looking crap in there I've never seen before. Something that looks like a white encrusting gorg... new macro strains I can't ID... worms hidden in the rocks with 8 inch tentacles... and there's xenia growing on some caulerpa... yellow sponges i never knew I had... a peppermint shrimp that I didn't know was still alive...

I wonder if my mantis is still alive... I see a bunch of empty snail shells outside hsi old burrow

oooh pictures please

Ummm..the red grape ???....oh boy.

Well, when I first beefed up the lighting I had a massive algae outbreak because it was a fish only system and was somewhat polluted. I now have that all under control, but...well....the red grapes didn't make it. They got pretty smothered with hair algae.

:o

You want some more?

oooh pictures please

:o

You want some more?

YES!!! Please!! I want a serious macro garden in that tank and I am thinking lately that heavy macro is very good at supporting clam health.

YES!!! Please!! I want a serious macro garden in that tank and I am thinking lately that heavy macro is very good at supporting clam health.

Wish I knew you wanted a variety, I would have made sure to get a little of everything.

Archived