Innovative Marine Aquariums

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also, biophysical studies over the past couple years have revealed that seawater is not a true liquid, but a colloid of dom and molecular structures of biological origin - you can't achieve that state by simply mixing up instant ocean and adding live rock... not to mention the major biological component of the ocean in terms of biomass is viruses. a system mimicking natural seawater takes time to develop and mature. i think water changes work against the true nature of seawater.

References? (I already know this is pure tripe - so good luck)

Have they been easy to propagate?

The berghia? Yeah. I just have them isolated in a breeder where I occasionally dump some aiptasia. It's really maintenance free... like the rest of my tank.

The berghia? Yeah. I just have them isolated in a breeder where I occasionally dump some aiptasia. It's really maintenance free... like the rest of my tank.

Grape Caulerpa ??? I want some for my seahorse tank ?? Seriously !

Grape Caulerpa ??? I want some for my seahorse tank ?? Seriously !

How big is your seahorse tank? I have a soccerball sized clump I'm ready to get rid of. Haha.

Where in the city are you? Is it worth a ride out to LI to pick up the caulerpa? I'm in 11710.

This is going into my favorite tanks ever list. You get any trouble with those maxi minis eating your tiny tiny gobies? Seriously I'm going to steal your tank.

i approve - water changes are overrated imo.

in my tank i haven't changed water in 3 years and the soft coral and sponge growth is bananas. i don't have a fuge - nothing but a powerhead and heater. my theory is that it's the accumulation of dom and suspended colloidal interfaces, which can be assimilated directly by poriferans and cnidarians via pinocytosis - it's the only thing i can think of that makes sense in terms of fueling growth imo.

also, biophysical studies over the past couple years have revealed that seawater is not a true liquid, but a colloid of dom and molecular structures of biological origin - you can't achieve that state by simply mixing up instant ocean and adding live rock... not to mention the major biological component of the ocean in terms of biomass is viruses. a system mimicking natural seawater takes time to develop and mature. i think water changes work against the true nature of seawater.

The reasons why I only dose..feed and skim.

This is going into my favorite tanks ever list. You get any trouble with those maxi minis eating your tiny tiny gobies? Seriously I'm going to steal your tank.

I had one maxi mini eat two green chromis... it was within their first 48 hours in the tank. In that time I also found two dead green chromies on my vortechs... so it could have been a "bad batch" that had already died.

SO MUCH LIFE!!! There is more variety in your tank than in most beaches/reefs around Florida.

:D

Interesting to come upon RO/DI water being mentioned in my daily blog reading...

Why your water should be a little dirty

Water molecules have a slight negative charge, which means they’re good at dissolving or pulling other molecules apart. When water is in an ultrapure state [such as the kind used in electronics manufacturing], it’s a "super cleaner," sucking out the tiniest specks of dirt and leaving your computer’s brain squeaky clean. But if you were to drink ultra-pure water, it would literally drink you back. The moment it came through your lips, it would start leaching valuable minerals from your saliva.

Unfortunately I can't get to the original webpage (I think it's from Scientific American) because I'm getting the "Aw Snap" Google Chrome error.

Boring update-

Berghia eggs wouldn't hatch this time around... So I just let the two adults out into the wild. I've noticed a few adults here and there, creeping around. Still plenty of aiptasia... so hopefully they don't crash their food source, and I get to see a few generations of them. :happy:

Love your "nano" theme - it's like having a small slice of the reef in your tank. I've just set up a 75g and keep running to your build for reference material.

You should start a, "We don't need your stinkin water changes club". B)

I'm hoping to start a monster fuge build soon as well and join your "method" right now I'm in the beginings of month 4 W/C less.

If you had to ever re-design your HOB, in regards to the way water enters and exits the display how would you do it? I'm trying to finalize my plans.

Thanks.

Love your "nano" theme - it's like having a small slice of the reef in your tank. I've just set up a 75g and keep running to your build for reference material.

:happy: Thank you.

You should start a, "We don't need your stinkin water changes club". B)

I'm hoping to start a monster fuge build soon as well and join your "method" right now I'm in the beginings of month 4 W/C less.

If you had to ever re-design your HOB, in regards to the way water enters and exits the display how would you do it? I'm trying to finalize my plans.

Thanks.

I'm pretty satisfied with the way the water goes through it. The only change I might make is raising the "in" bulkhead so that less water goes down into the sump when power goes out. I could do that by sticking a pipe in there... I just haven't got around to it.

Edit- it might also be cool to open the waterfall so you can see the water trickling down. That might result in excessive splashing... But at this point, I'll never really know.

No water change for a a year?! This is terrible. I'm keep looking at your outrageous experiment, what a disaster.

I know! All the colors... they hurt my eyes. But I must press on, for the good of the hobby.

My posts always get ignored :tears:

Sorry, still illegal. :P

Hey, kgoldy, did you every get rid of that bryopsis?

Turns out it's not bryopsis. Not really sure what it is... Been meaning to get a closeup pic so I can get a positive ID. I'm gunna go do that now...

So unlike hair algae, which is slimy, this stuff is rigid and calcareous.

015.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

Berghia Nudis living in the tank- (Click for video)

th_007.jpg

That's what I have! It's a ##### to get out and will root pretty deep into rock work.

Btw, I was reading through your thread and you are ####ing hilarious. I liked the captions on your neighbors photogen-uity

That's what I have! It's a ##### to get out and will root pretty deep into rock work.

Btw, I was reading through your thread and you are ####ing hilarious. I liked the captions on your neighbors photogen-uity

Haha, yeah, he's one photogenic mother ####er.

Archived