Cultivated Reef

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

I like gadgets. So... I like the checkers. I wasn't aware when purchasing them that I would need to buy additional reagents (spelling?) if I wanted to do more than like 6 tests.

I personally have a lot of difficulty matching colors with API test kits- and I'm 100% sure I am not even slightly color blind as that was a requirement for the job I had in the military...

The Red Sea test kits that I have are awesome compared to API- so if their basic kits (nitrate, phos, alk, etc) are anything like the ones I have- I would be happy to use those.

Do you think it is worth buying the extra reagents? Or would you rather use the other test kits?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At $8.99 for 25 extra tests of each kit... In the long run, Hanna is about evenly priced with Red Sea. I think I'd be happy with either one- but I lean towards the Hanna just because it's digital.

At $8.99 for 25 extra tests of each kit... In the long run, Hanna is about evenly priced with Red Sea. I think I'd be happy with either one- but I lean towards the Hanna just because it's digital.

Cool, I am on the fence about Hanna but I think that I will get one and try it out. Which test do you think is the most important?

They offer Phos, Cal and Alk... I'd say whatever API test kit (or whatever brand color change test tube) you're most frustrated with is what you should go for.

I hear- as in, don't know for a fact- that most color-change Phosphate test kits we use in the hobby are extremely inaccurate. Maybe that would be the best one to start with.

They offer Phos, Cal and Alk... I'd say whatever API test kit (or whatever brand color change test tube) you're most frustrated with is what you should go for.

I hear- as in, don't know for a fact- that most color-change Phosphate test kits we use in the hobby are extremely inaccurate. Maybe that would be the best one to start with.

Cool! Thank you for the help. :)

Nat Geo special tonight on Mantis Shrimp-

09:00 PM to 10:00 PM

Go on the trail of a sharpshooting inhabitant of the coral reefs - the record-breaking, thumb-splitting mantis shrimp. At the beautiful coral reefs of Thailand, witness mantis shrimps in the wild. Then at university labs in the USA, learn about their eyesight - the most complicated in the animal kingdom - and their incredible hard-hitting claws. With ninja-like precision, mantis shrimps can strike with the acceleration of a bullet and can crack a crabs shell with a single blow.

That was a huuuuge dump! ;p Hahaha!

Anyways, tank looks great! Like seriously it looks awesome. I wish I had $$ to buy frags (unfortunately in my world diapers > corals)... Oh well, let's just say I'm focusing on the "minimalist look"...

BTW I'll post some pics pretty soon ! ;)

Alright... Here's the plan. Before Christmas I'm going to work 24 hours of overtime to justify my next silly reef purchase.

Hint #1- $829.99

:ninja:

I totally take back anything good I said about Ecotech's Coral Glue. I've had a bunch of frags randomly fall off my rocks weeks after setting them.

Going back to epoxy putty and TLF glue.

A little less than seven hours until Black Friday sales kick off. :eek:

Not. Sleeping. EVAR.

Planning on raiding the following-

Live Aquaria

Foster & Smith

LEDgroupbuy omgomgomg

And I'm refreshing ReefBuilders every once in a while to see if anything else pops up.

:eek: you have got to STOP putting ideas in my head!

It's BLACK FRIDAY (in just over 4 hours), Kat! TIME TO BUY THAT 75 GALLON! (90 is hard for me to reach the bottom of, so I will no longer recommend you go that big.)

Just some notes for myself....

pigment.jpg

Edison LEDs (this is my 135 watt fixture)

BoostLED UV 400nm

BoostLED B 442nm

BoostLED CW 450-460nm

Cree (potential DIY parts)

LEDgb TV 420nm

LEDgb RB 450-465nm

LEDgb B 465-485nm

LEDgb CW

LEDgb NW

LEGgb WW

LEDgb Trq 495nm

LEDgb G 525-535nm

LEDgb CreeRed 620-630nm

LEDgb DeepRed 660nm

Really need to learn some forum friendly codes to make this neater...

------------------------------------------------------------

DIY LED featured in Coral Magazine

90 Blue

45 White

15 UV

15 Cyan

15 Red

Same project reduced from 6.5 feet long to 4 feet (120 LEDs)

60 Blue

30 White

10 UV

10 Cyan

10 Red

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ecotech Radion x 3 (102 LEDs)

30 RB

24 B

24 CW

12 G

12 R

Note- EcoTech burns their XP-G CW at 5w instead of 3w. Probably best to move up to XM-L to burn brighter and keep it at 3w.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Fason's Magic Mix according to the "LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?" thread

4 RB

2 B

3 CW (warmer bin)

3 NW

1 Deep Red

Multiplied to cover 90 gallon (104 LEDs)

32 RB

16 B

24 CW

24 NW

8 DeepRed

Archived