Cultivated Reef

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

What is your secret for growing coraline? are you using a reactor or dosing daily?

not sure what my secret is. This is the second tank I've run that had an explosion of coraline. It might be the fact that I do no water changes, it might be the species.

on the first tank, I never dosed anything... Then I used those live rocks to seed this system (which was 100% dry rock). After a few weeks, I saw all the rock in this tank have a little coraline growing, so I pulled all the liverock. After a few months, this tank is 90% coraline encrusted (this means coraline everywhere I can see, including in the shade) with bits of branching coraline all over the place.

I gave away a lot of coraline encrusted rubble to a lot of people who bought macro from me this year... And gave my entire biocube system to the guy who gave me all these new frags... So I should know for sure in a few months if it's my species, or my no water change husbandry that causes the coraline bloom.

if the people I gave rocks to have the same pink-stuff take over their tanks, I'll start selling coraline encrusted frags next spring. I just bought 10 lbs of rubble from BRS just for this... But again, I won't sell it unless I find out it's the species I have, and not just simply the way I care for my tank.

I currently dose kalkwasser in this tank with my ATO water. No purple-up, no reactor, no additives other than garlic and vitamin on my fish's food.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a great story. You should start writing a childrens book on the experiences of your reef tank. I would read it. of course it need illustrations

Speaking of children's books... This is the best one ever created. I buy it for all my friends who decide give up on their own youth and have kids in their 20's. Haha.

What makes it far better, is when Samuel L Jackson reads it for you- on youtube.

Edit-

So I go on facebook this morning, and what do I see? My girlfriend posted this on her wall-

319614_272617349443314_184842024887514_792062_816130403_n.jpg

What a lucky bastard I am.

Hey kat-

So you know how you said you didn't understand why people are all crazy about chalice? My initial response being something along the lines of "meh, me neither".

Now that I have two frags of it... Now... Now I understand. They're a good reason to press my nose against the tank. As in literally, look, and stare, as close as I physically can. Nose crushed on glass, eyeball almost touching it. They don't look real. I mean, a lot of coral look crazy and have neat colors... But chalice... wow.

Once my maxi garden plan failed horribly, I decided I would plant acans all along the bottoms of my rocks near the sandbed. And well, I pretty much did that... So now between shrooms, zoos and acans, there's hardly any room at the bottom. Want... more... chalice...

P.S. Forget if I mentioned, I sent G-10 in for repairs (it had a dent and was letting dust get behind the glass and go on the LCD screen)... So no new pics for a while.

P.P.S. I'm looking into revamping my approach on lighting for the mantis tank. Another DIY project is in planning phases.

P.P.S. I'm just going to kill my other threads and leave a message on them to hit this thread up if they have questions/comments. From now on all updates for my entire system will be condensed into this thread. The "planted tank" that's now just a giant ball of chaeto with a mantis hiding in a rock doesn't belong among the tanks of the real macro tanks... <_< And other than "hey, i gots more leaves on my mangroves" there's not a whole lot of updates going on for the HOB fuge.

oohkay, so we will need to see a normal person chalice photo. All the others pics are too perfect.

Thumbs up for the GF, she does sound awesome. :flower:

I think we need some FTS of all these changes. plus we haven't seen what you've done since the avalanche, and we haven't seen the corals non-pissed off.

You can also add a picture of your nose smushed to the glass as the FTS on your first post. :@)

haha, any excuse to use the piggy nose, eh?

I promise pics as soon as my g10 comes back.

so tank update- coral beauty tore up the flame angel a bit... Dorsal fin and face both have bite marks. I have successfully trapped CB I the past, so if fighting continues I'll trade him in for a smaller one.

one mushroom disappeared on me, a really nice green one which I don't know if I managed to take a pic of... Hope it just moved, and didn't melt or something. The shroom it came with is still fine- a beautiful bright red one.

most acans look happy. Almost all are up on rocks now. Decided I'll give my tank a break and not put my hands in it tonight to glue more frags.

the big unhealthy acan colony has it's feeding tentacles out pretty much 24/7, so I think it should be fine. One acan frag has a,most completely melted... But what remains looks like it might make it.

some sps have have great polyp extension... Others, not so much. Looks like almost everything is alright with the LEDs. A little bleaching on some, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse on anything.

all zoos are happy and almost all are in permanent positions now... Got some that fell and need to be put back in proper positions.

yellow maxi mini is still gone. Other maxi is still happy on the rock I want to get rid of... I'm thinking maybe the shady spot with the mangroves might be a good spot for maxi minis... We'll see, if I ever get this one off the damn ugly rock.

oh and the rock slide wasn't all that significant. Just one rock fell out of position, the new one with the stubborn maxi.

hey D, I know you're creeping around here... will zoos irritate acans if they're growing next to each other? Or is the only risk that zoos will over grow and physically shade acans?

Deleted User 6

FFUUU how did you know?!?!

They'll be fine. The acans may beat back the zoos a bit and create a no man's land between them, but it won't be that noticeable. Run carbon to avoid chemical warfare.

baaaah... carbonooooo. Alright, geez. I guess I can do one thing for my tank.

pretty impressed with your response time, btw.

Picked up a tripod today. Thinking of bringing home one of my G9's from work to take pics... Hopefully I have the time to at least look at my tank this weekend, let alone take some pics. Damn boss keeps selling crap that doesn't yet exist. :rant:

Yellow maxi mini made an appearance today! Woohooo, it's alive!!

Unfortunately it's wedged itself right underneath my green slimer's plug, which otherwise looked like it was about to finally encrust on the rock. :angry: Bah. Can't win with this thing. Well, hopefully it settles somewhere else.

This Manhattan Reef Swap is going to be really dangerous next month. Cherry Corals is coming to town...

LOL if I could I would KG just give yourself a budget on what your allowed to spend and don't go over it.

I had a limit of $30 yesterday at the LFS and managed to keep it at $25 with 2 frags, and 5 gallons of water.

LOL not saying only spend $30, I would probably set a limit of 2-300 for myself and that would be it, but Cherry Corals..... Argh I would spend everything there alone....

The trick is going to be going there and not spending x-mas shopping money that's supposed to be for everyone else's presents... Hahah.

just called MA, what i really was hoping to get at the swap was a froggie and they have it in stock right now! imagine that!

Froggy spawn, or froggy fish? (Yes, I know, frogspawn).

But- pico should have a teeny tiny frogfish!

Antennarius duescus (Side-Jet frogfish - Seitenatemloch-Anglerfisch) <-- Link to all species and descriptions. Maxes out at 3 cm!!

Comes in lavender and purple! Frogfish-pink.GIFFrogfish-violett.GIF (edit- I'm a dude. I can't describe these colors. Maybe pinkish?)

Or this guy- Antennarius rosaceus (Rosy frogfish - "Rosa" Anglerfisch)

Antennarius-rosaceus.GIF

Froggies in the future!!!??? :)

Candy, we totally have to team up on peer pressuring Kat to get her to go for a micro froggy for her pico. Instant Wal-Mart contest win! ...I hate that auto-correct capitalizes walmart ....

I totally want a froggy... Too bad mantis would be a bad roommate for it. I think after re-reading my mantis vs conch story it's appropriate to nickname the critter. HULK SMASH!

In other news, one of my cats (not the grey one) had a benign tumor removed last week, and is now wearing the cone of shame. Ashley (grey puppy) is going to have the same thing done on Friday. Pics will be taken of matching cones of shame, and they will be hilarious.

Archived