Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but srs, are you still not doing water changes?

Yup, srsly. No water changes. I'm convinced that overfeeding essentially replaces trace minerals... And in terms of biomass of coral/fish to macro/mangroves, I'm like 100 to 1. Haven't tested my water since the last time it was recorded on this thread... But if SPS are growing and have polyps extended, I'm pretty sure I'm doing alright.

With enough chaeto and mangroves in my system, I could withstand other macro going sexual and be fine (it's happened already) so I'm not too concerned about things going down-hill faster that I would notice and be able to correct if necessary. As stony corals start to grow and consume more minerals, I imagine the system will demand more care... But for the immediate future, this is going to remain a no water-change zone.

As confident as I am, I'm not being a complete cowboy about this. I do have 44 gallons of salt water in a rubbermade in the basement, just in case. It's being circulated by a 900 gph pump which keeps the water pretty warm despite the close-to-freezing temps downstairs. I could probably get it to match the tank temp in 15 minutes with the extra heaters I have.

Tank update-

My fighting conch is a dick and flipped like half of the acans upside-down... Most are happy and puffy, all still positioned down on the sandbed. Others look like they might be goners, but that's how I got em.

All new SPS have polyp extension. One or two have some partial bleaching, but that might be because they were fragged from dense colonies where branches were partially shading each other. One of my larger frags tumbled down and created an avalanche of frags... The other night I ran out of glue so I went skimpy on the last few frags... I'll have to fix that tomorrow.

Most zoos have opened up, and I'm amazed at the amount of color in the tank now. I'm not one for names or high end stuff... But I'm pretty sure some of these are "designer" corals. Since some zoos are still pissed because of the mini avalanche, I don't know what every single one looks like... But so far purple with neon yellow skirts are my favorite. I've got a teeny tiny frag of acan that matches that... I really hope they both take off in growth. fingerscrossed

Deleted User 6
Yup, srsly. No water changes. I'm convinced that overfeeding essentially replaces trace minerals... And in terms of biomass of coral/fish to macro/mangroves, I'm like 100 to 1. Haven't tested my water since the last time it was recorded on this thread... But if SPS are growing and have polyps extended, I'm pretty sure I'm doing alright.

With enough chaeto and mangroves in my system, I could withstand other macro going sexual and be fine (it's happened already) so I'm not too concerned about things going down-hill faster that I would notice and be able to correct if necessary. As stony corals start to grow and consume more minerals, I imagine the system will demand more care... But for the immediate future, this is going to remain a no water-change zone.

It's definitely an interesting methodology. i'm interested to see its long-term effects.

how long have you been circulating the fresh SW? not afraid of any kind of contamination? what about evap raising the salinity?

It's definitely an interesting methodology. i'm interested to see its long-term effects.

how long have you been circulating the fresh SW? not afraid of any kind of contamination? what about evap raising the salinity?

Bah... It's been quite a while. Container is very tightly sealed. It's next to my 55 gallon RO water, so a little switch of the pump and I can get salinity to match if that were a problem.

You were involved in the thread this summer that got into the math of water changes, right? The point was essentially that small WC's do very little to export nutrients and raise levels of desirable minerals... That's a seriously short overview of the discussion, but I'm pretty sure you were following the thread... Anyway, I figure if people do 10% water changes every other week, they may as well not bother doing them at all. So... I'll just not do them at all.

There are a fair number of people who never do water changes out there... I wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't already had years of established "luck" with it.

you havent thought about dosing from time to time to replenish calcium, magnesium and other things? there may be things that feeding can't replenish.

I dose kalkwasser in my ATO water... And I have the complete BRS dosing kit on standby... If and when things start looking like they're going south, have all the testing kits ready so that I can make necessary adjustments.

Also, I use garlic and vitamin supplements with every frozen feeding.

I'm about to toss my damn conch into the mantis tank... It must go from one side to the other of my sandbed like 4 times per day... Flipping corals every time he passes by. :rant:

I started moving some acans up onto the rocks to get them off the sandbed, and I'm coming to the realization I'm running out of room, fast. I probably should have clustered all of my zoos together so they don't take up so much space. All the zoos I got from Mr Coral have expanded to be about 4x their original size (number of polyps) or more.

Yellow maxi mini disappeared into the rocks... I'm just hoping it comes out on it's own, because there's no way I'm digging around to look for it. I have bad freakin luck with maxi minis. :tears:

Left the G10 at work... Probably going to take some pics of mounted acans to post tomorrow.

I have a sickness. For some reason I don't consider money I'm paid for working overtime as real money. Bah. Now half a week of not sleeping is represented by a bunch of reef stuff. -_-

Item Sku Qty Subtotal

3/4” George Fisher Wye Check Valve (Swiss made) 202450 1 $35.15

Elos Extra Vitamin For Fish Foods 300202 1 $20.99

Kalkwasser Starter Package 000246 1 $44.00

Elos Omega Amino Acid Complex (Stony Corals) 300203 1 $34.99

Dry Live Rock Rubble 000707 10 $15.70

Maxi-Jet Powerhead 1200 (295GPH) 202264 1 $22.50

Replacement Metering Pump for Tunze Osmolator 5000.02 202312 1 $22.58

3/4" Barbed Ball Valve 300070 2 $5.60

3/4” Schedule 80 Straight Male Insert Fitting 202656 2 $2.70

3/4” Schedule 80 Female Pipe Adapter 202544 2 $4.80

1” Schedule 80 Male Pipe Adapter 202541 2 $5.60

Hanna Checker Alkalinity Colorimeter 206201 1 $49.99

Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter 206200 1 $49.99

Red Sea Colors Pro Multi Test Kit (I2, K, Fe) 207097 1 $58.50

Reef Chili Feeding Jar 205202 4 $9.60

Elos SVM2 Granular Marine Fish Food 300200 1 $14.99

Elos Spirulina Plus Granular Marine Fish Food 300201 1 $15.99

Elos Omega Amino Acid Complex (Stony Corals) 300203 1 $34.99

Elos SVC Plankton Supplement (LPS & Soft Corals) 300205 1 $21.99

Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter 206200 1 $49.99

Hanna Checker Alkalinity Colorimeter 206201 1 $49.99

Hanna Checker Calcium Colorimeter 206202 1 $49.99

3/4” George Fisher Wye Check Valve (Swiss made) 202450 1 $35.15

1” George Fisher Wye Check Valve (Swiss made) 202451 1 $42.75

1” Schedule 80 Female Pipe Adapter 202545 2 $6.30

Ratchet Clamp for 3/4" Tube 203071 10 $8.00

Ratchet Clamp for 1" Tube 203072 10 $12.00

Ratchet Clamp for 1.5" Tube 203073 10 $16.00

3/4” Schedule 80 Straight Female Insert Fitting 202666 1 $3.15

1” Schedule 80 Straight Female Insert Fitting 202667 2 $6.30

3/4" SCH 80 Nipple 202722 2 $1.80

1" SCH 80 Nipple 202723 2 $2.24

Ecotech Coral Glue - 75mL 300244 1 $19.99

AquaStik Epoxy - Red Coralline - 4 oz 207218 2 $16.20

Coral Rx Pro 1oz 300621 1 $21.06

BRS Coral Propagation Kit - Deluxe 205381 1 $40.00

1.5 oz Jar of Reef Chili Coral Food 205201 1 $17.60

Two Little Fishies Iodine Concentrate - 250mL 207203 1 $5.40

Two Little Fishies Iron Concentrate - 250mL 207204 1 $4.95

Two Little Fishies SeaElements - 250mL 207200 1 $12.15

Two Little Fishies Strontium Concentrate - 250mL 207202 1 $5.40

Subtotal $897.06

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Grand Total $897.06

Thank you again,

Bulk Reef Supply

Candy- I seriously sit there and watch the cat charge like 10 times every time you leave a comment. Hahah.

Love it! :P That's what I aim for that got to watch appeal!

I was like WTF, them OMG then ROTFLMAO after I saw this. :lol:

as of 1am, fighting conch has been banished to the mantis tank. I figured if I was up to my shoulder in my tank to flip acans right side up at this time of night... I may as well grab the damn bull dozer and pull him out.

may he enjoy his stay with my little smasher.

but srs, are you still not doing water changes?

also feel like I should mention I don't use a filter sock or floss. I gots teh dirty dirty waters.

Did the conch survive or was he a meal already?

So I read this message... and remember the fuge (mantis tank) lights just turned on... I go lay on the floor and observe.

Fighting conch is about an inch in front of the mantis rock, swinging his elephant trunk around, munching on some algae...

Mantis is doing mantis things, punching rocks for no reason, doing flips, going inside and outside his burrow... all within a 2" cube of space, since he's a jerk and won't use the rest of the tank that's entirely dedicated to him.

Conch takes a "leap forward".

Mantis sees this... and is all "waaahdaaaahfaaak?!"

Conch starts waving his trunk around, eating detritus, happy as can be.

Mantis is thoroughly interested. Maybe slightly frightened. Maybe just angry.

Conch waves trunk toward mantis.

MANTIS PUNCH!

Conch tucks himself in.

Mantis stares at un-moving shell for like 30 seconds.

Mantis looses interest and punches more rocks, does flips, and other mantis things.

Conch goes back to being a trunk waving idiot.

I think the conch is going to be alright.

MANTIS PUNCH!

Mantis looses interest and punches more rocks, does flips, and other mantis things.

In my mind, this played out like an anime with lightning bolts and subtitles.

So I read this message... and remember the fuge (mantis tank) lights just turned on... I go lay on the floor and observe.

Fighting conch is about an inch in front of the mantis rock, swinging his elephant trunk around, munching on some algae...

Mantis is doing mantis things, punching rocks for no reason, doing flips, going inside and outside his burrow... all within a 2" cube of space, since he's a jerk and won't use the rest of the tank that's entirely dedicated to him.

Conch starts waving his trunk around, eating detritus, happy as can be.

Mantis is thoroughly interested. Maybe slightly frightened. Maybe just angry.

Conch waves trunk toward mantis.

MANTIS PUNCH!

Conch tucks himself in.

Mantis stares at un-moving shell for like 30 seconds.

I think the conch is going to be alright.

That is a great story. You should start writing a childrens book on the experiences of your reef tank. I would read it. of course it need illustrations

Archived