the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that these

198.JPG

are red people eaters. :)

Ah. Irony in the name, because I think that something is eating my red people eaters. One polyp looks mangled... Almost like it was stung... But there's nothing aggressive near it.

ok i can't look at all those pics.

Take all the time you need... ;)

One WC. Just one. Everything is going to explode in growth I bet.

How about this... You come do a WC for me and I'll let you frag any softy you want in my tank. I'll show you where the salt and water station are.

200? Psh, it's only like 150 gallons of total volume, and that's if the sump was filled to the top. Considering all the rock and sand... It's more like... 90-100 gallons of water. A 25% water change won't kill you. It would kill me, however. I'm allergic.

^^ uh huh. I've decided to pay him an in person visit, with a bus full of reefers. He said he will host us for lunch.

When? With the frag swap coming up Dec 4th... there's not much room that's going to be left in the tank.

were the pics taken after corals were retracted or disturbed or something? PE on SPS doesn't look too good IMO. for example, the monti digis all look like mine when my tank was declining.

^^ uh huh. I've decided to pay him an in person visit, with a bus full of reefers. He said he will host us for lunch.

He's a good guy.... Stuck in his conviction's, but he mean's well.... :mellow:

were the pics taken after corals were retracted or disturbed or something? PE on SPS doesn't look too good IMO. for example, the monti digis all look like mine when my tank was declining.

I've actually never seen PE on the monti digi that's pictured above- I just took the fact that it's growing as a sign of good health.

Other SPS (birds nest, for example) have pretty decent PE on and off throughout the day. When they "smell" filter feeder formula, they all come tend to out.

oh, well yeah growing is a good sign. But whenever my PE isn't great, i always assume something is off. My orange monti digi used to have great PE, then started to look like that for a few months before starting to STN. I had nitrate issues from bad test kit though.

hmm, well i wouldn't guess it's the flow or lighting. Like all sps, moderate to high flow, and i would put it 1/2 to 3/4 up the tank. Just not too high for it to get bleached. Looks like a slight water quality issue though to me. What are calcium and alk at?

It's high in the tank, flow is moderate.

Water test as of 5 days ago-

I have however since then been slowly increasing salinity, so I expect higher numbers. Phosphate might be the issue... Though I didn't do a second test to confirm results- it was my first time using a Hannah checker, so it could be a little off due to possible testing errors.

.23 ppm Phos

153 ppm CaCO3 (Alk)

526 ppm Calcium

.03 Iodine

.0 Iron (not detectable level)

270 ppm Potassium

1260 ppm Magnesium

Looks like I may need a serious water change after all. -_-

reeflevels.jpg

He's a good guy.... Stuck in his conviction's, but he mean's well.... :mellow:

Didn't say he wasn't a good guy, in fact I asked about his grand mother before we talked about "all" the issues with my order. But I'm curious what his convictions are Pismo.

No nitrates? could be phosphate. Calcium is a little high as well, but i doubt that would have a negative effect, unless its precipitating. What was salinity at? My tank always reads 0ppm for both phosphate and nitrate, but i never trust it fully, and see a big increase in corals after a wc.

Nitrate free as fast as test kits say.

Salinity was 1.023, I'm moving to 1.026.

My latest kalkwasser/salt mix experiment has been lowering my pH... so I'm increasing my fuge lighting from 12 hrs to 24- so phosphates and nitrates should drop accordingly.

How do you like the Hanna Colorimeters?

I like gadgets. So... I like the checkers. I wasn't aware when purchasing them that I would need to buy additional reagents (spelling?) if I wanted to do more than like 6 tests.

I personally have a lot of difficulty matching colors with API test kits- and I'm 100% sure I am not even slightly color blind as that was a requirement for the job I had in the military...

The Red Sea test kits that I have are awesome compared to API- so if their basic kits (nitrate, phos, alk, etc) are anything like the ones I have- I would be happy to use those.

Archived