Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn you take some good pictures hype.

Beautiful fish. That mandarin is unreal. Would love to get my hands on one that ate frozen consistently but I just couldn't deal with a dead one I don't think.

This tank is already the coolest thing ever and it's only been up for like two damn weeks. :D

Beautiful fish. That mandarin is unreal. Would love to get my hands on one that ate frozen consistently but I just couldn't deal with a dead one I don't think.

This tank is already the coolest thing ever and it's only been up for like two damn weeks. :D

I've got a mandarin in my 20L and haven't fed him once. He's been doing fine on his own for about 7 months now. Maybe because I have a 29 gallon refugium he has enough food.

Damn you take some good pictures hype.

Thanks so much d9 they've gotten alot more comfortable with me taking pics of them(particularly the mandarin. I'm trying to make up for the lack of updates and keep the thread interesting.

im never disappointed when i look at this thread. the pics are amazing! that mandarin is probably one of the healthiest looking mandarins i have ever seen. i absolutely love your tank. keep up the epic work hype.

Its very rare to see a tank that looks so absolutely 'natural' in terms of a tranquil seascape, like its right out of the ocean, without hardly any corals or fish, yet this tank does exactly that!

For almost 6 months, I've been planning on doing the exact same thing, with a very similar size tank, and its nice to see that it can in fact be done, and done very well. (I'm still trying to decide between starphire glass or acrylic which is whats slowing me down.)

Again, beautiful design and thank you for sharing this.

Lastly, may I ask what brand/type of sand you used?

Thanks alot sean. That was my ultimate goal. I really wanted this setup to look as natural as i possibly could and so far ive been able to achieve the look i was going for. I think you should go with glass on your next tank...Ive had acrylic in the past and its scratches way too easy. IMO glass tanks just look better. Im using fiji pink sand..Ive used quite a few different substrates but this is by far my favorite.

You are very welcome. Yes, I am leaning towards glass. My 240 cube, video below, was 1" acrylic and it scratched up so easily regardless of how careful I was. My primary concern/issue was that I am planning on drilling the bottom for a hidden closed loop system (to avoid seeing any plumbing inside or outside the tank) which obviously is much easier with the acrylic. With glass, I have to increase the thickness to handle all the holes, let alone the cost of drilling 7 holes. The cost of the tank goes from $250 up to about $500.

I'm rethinking the design again and may just go with a diagonal corner overflow like yours and use one or two Vortech MP 10w ES's.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sonof...efunder20Ks.flv

Wow that tank was/is incredible!Amazing job sean!

I see your dilemma but i like your second option... keep it simple with the corner overflow and additional vortechs.

Hey j im gonna post an updated fts as soon as get rid of these diatoms. I bought a cuc from john at reefcleaners so hopefully they should have it cleaned up within a week or so. ill take some pics of the sump and all the equipment. In the meantime check out the

Fiji pink looks good but isn't burrowed friendly :(

Sure it is...it's one of the most burrow friendly substrates out there.ive kept gobies,pistols,jawfish.

lookin good my friend

Thanks giga your tank is looking great as well.

Do you have any regrets in terms of the 9" height? Are you thinking the 9" will be tall enough for your aquacaping plans? I'm debating between 10" and 12". I like the look of 10" in terms of profile, but I'm wondering if I'll regret not having that extra 2" when corals start to grow out and up.

Thoughts?

Archived