SaltCritters.com

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

ok dude that does look freaking epic but did you plan in the shimmer from the sun coming in from a near by window it makes it look that much more dramatic. and the answer i'm looking for is no. becuase if you did thats just wrong to plan it ahead that much!! lol looks great as usual.

lol yea i kind of did B) I planned in advance to keep the tank close to a window that gets direct sunlight.When i saw the light hitting the water that way i decided to take the pic. It looks really dramatic when the tank lights are still out and the morning sun rays come through.

Thanks gabe

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't commend your choice of putting anthias in a tank this size :P but I will put a vote in for Randall's Anthias. They are an awesome species.

A small individual anthias will do just fine (they need about 25 gallons). If he wanted an entire harem, though, then it could be too crowded. Keep in mind this shallow tank has a very wide footprint (24 x 24), so going by the water volume is a little misleading.

animalmaster6

I disagree with that. This tank is tiny. Rehype has great reefing skills though, he can provice proper care for them (hes done it with Red Spots, mini darts, and seahorses).

Some anthias that are 3 inches need at least 80 gallons.

I disagree with that. This tank is tiny. Rehype has great reefing skills though, he can provice proper care for them (hes done it with Red Spots, mini darts, and seahorses).

Some anthias that are 3 inches need at least 80 gallons.

Well, I imagine not every species of anthias can fit in a 24x24. But I thought I read somewhere that when kept alone, some of the smaller species can be housed in 25 gallons.

Well, I imagine not every species of anthias can fit in a 24x24. But I thought I read somewhere that when kept alone, some of the smaller species can be housed in 25 gallons.

I've done a little bit more research and it appears to be mostly liveaquaria and other vendors that state the 25 gallon minimum for a small individual. I can't find anything more objective at the moment.

And hype's gonna have his hands full feeding anthias 4x a day. :lol: (unless he'll be using an automatic feeder of some sort.)

animalmaster6
I've done a little bit more research and it appears to be mostly liveaquaria and other vendors that state the 25 gallon minimum for a small individual. I can't find anything more objective at the moment.

And hype's gonna have his hands full feeding anthias 4x a day. :lol: (unless he'll be using an automatic feeder of some sort.)

What species do they list? I just double checked and all they had were usually around 70 gallons. I'm really interested to see where you found this :lol:

What species do they list? I just double checked and all they had were usually around 70 gallons. I'm really interested to see where you found this :lol:

Well, several of them actually. You have to read the description below the picture, instead of the "Quick Stats" table. Here's the page for the Dispar Anthias: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...8&pcatid=48

Other vendors say the same thing, but then they could just be copying liveaquaria's description. :lol:

Yea just to add to the discussion.,,A few species of anthias can be kept in a tank as small as 25 gallons provided you keep only one indvidual(keeping a harem is when they suggest tanks of 100 or so gallons) Now i wouldnt recommend keeping it in biocube because of the small display area but in a tank my size with such an open area to swim just one individual would do just fine. I kept a sunburst for about a year and a half with no issues. Ill also add the 3-4 recommended feedings a day isnt necessary. They get along just fine with 1.

where are some more pics?!

what would you like to see pics of?

um how about the sump and just other aspects of this tank. have you added anything else worth snappin a pic of? i can only look at the other pics so many times before i need more lol. although i can look at the other pics nonstop and still be amazed lol

Ill make up for it tomorrow. Ill have something to actually take a pic of ;)

BTW giga i kept a mangrove just for you buddy its standing in the overflow area B)

ok so im beginning to think that this tank isnt real....its been multiple days and no update or new pics. whats goin on hype? lol the world of NR are waiting to see what else you have up your sleeve. i hope its taking so long because you have taken so many pictures and made more epic additions. the suspense is killing me!!!! :blink:omgomgomgomgomgomg:scarry::haha:

well some of my equipment was delayed a few more days than anticipated.So i havent really had anything to share.But i will do a mini update. The tank is going through a mini cycle since i added brand new sand. Right now theres a small diatom bloom sandbed so hopefully my ceriths take care of it in a timely manner. But i will have a real update by this weekend..hang in there bud. :D

Quick update.picked up some new equipment. mp10,Giesemann 24" MH/T5 Combo and Bubble magus nac3+ skimmer.So far everythings installed and working great.

vortech1.jpg

Giesemann_1.jpg

Giesemann_2.jpg

NAC3.jpg

Archived