Pod Your Reef

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

That looks just awesome hype! Really a perfect shot with the reflection from the top of the water.

Yep! Looks gorgeous!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks just awesome hype! Really a perfect shot with the reflection from the top of the water.

Thanks alot ts im really happy with how that shot came out

Yep! Looks gorgeous!

Thanks alot man

New FTS

7762477852_827b803eee_c.jpg

Ohhh. Eugene, that looks spectacular. I know how much joy my reef gives me. Especially since I am watching it grow also. I can only imagine your real life view of this beauty you have created.

Simply gorgeous!

Whoa. Looks incredible. Well done!

Wow Hype, that last fts is incredible. The reflection is unreal. Your tank is a real inspiration.

Thanks alot guys its much appreciated.

Ohhh. Eugene, that looks spectacular. I know how much joy my reef gives me. Especially since I am watching it grow also. I can only imagine your real life view of this beauty you have created.

Simply gorgeous!

Thanks so much kat. It is really rewarding to watch a reef grow out from small frags. Thats one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby for me. Some of these coral were literally 1/2 frags or 1-2 polyps/heads when i bought them and have grown to mini colonies. It was a heck of alot of setbacks to get to this point but it was worth it. Thanks again kat

New FTS

Very nice Rehype. Looks great with everything I can see nicely extended and giving the tank a nicely tocked look with quite some diversity of life forms from what I can see from the total view of the tank.

I do have a question : what is your experience with Yumas and specimens seemingly reacting very well to high lighting and opening real wide and extended, but then after a few week starting to sort of shrivel up somewhat and not looking as they did when first introduced (even if fed).

I used to keep them years ago but they were always in larger and deeper tanks so maybe they did not get the kind of light intensity that they do in Nano's, that tend to be shallower in many cases, and where the Yumas appear to react negatively to too much light, or maybe something else that you may know.

Could it be water flow, or the nearby presence of some type of corals or even zoas that bring that behavior about.

I did some searches of course on other forums, but could not find a definitive answer, or one that made good sense.

Wonder what your opinion is on why they seem to behave that way. Thanks.

Here is a picture of one that looked about twice this size a few weeks ago, but now stays sort of shrunk up most of the time. Searches on care and on positioning etc ... and personal previous experience with them, does not explain the differences I see.

yuma0812.png

Albert

Very nice Rehype. Looks great with everything I can see nicely extended and giving the tank a nicely tocked look with quite some diversity of life forms from what I can see from the total view of the tank.

I do have a question : what is your experience with Yumas and specimens seemingly reacting very well to high lighting and opening real wide and extended, but then after a few week starting to sort of shrivel up somewhat and not looking as they did when first introduced (even if fed).

I used to keep them years ago but they were always in larger and deeper tanks so maybe they did not get the kind of light intensity that they do in Nano's, that tend to be shallower in many cases, and where the Yumas appear to react negatively to too much light, or maybe something else that you may know.

Could it be water flow, or the nearby presence of some type of corals or even zoas that bring that behavior about.

I did some searches of course on other forums, but could not find a definitive answer, or one that made good sense.

Wonder what your opinion is on why they seem to behave that way. Thanks.

Here is a picture of one that looked about twice this size a few weeks ago, but now stays sort of shrunk up most of the time. Searches on care and on positioning etc ... and personal previous experience with them, does not explain the differences I see.

Albert

Hey albert thanks alot for the feedback

IME with yumas and riccordea is they like low light. If i had to estimate i would say PAR readings under 100 would be ideal for keeping them happy.At times ive kept them in the shadows of rocks or other coral. They also dont like direct flow... ive learned its better to keep them in a spot where flow is very passive. I also found they like tanks that are a bit "dirty" with higher nutrients particularly nitrates and finally (this is totally my opinion) I think they prefer lower alkalinity (7-8dkh).

HTH

Hey albert thanks alot for the feedback

IME with yumas and riccordea is they like low light. If i had to estimate i would say PAR readings under 100 would be ideal for keeping them happy.At times ive kept them in the shadows of rocks or other coral. They also dont like direct flow... ive learned its better to keep them in a spot where flow is very passive. I also found they like tanks that are a bit "dirty" with higher nutrients particularly nitrates and finally (this is totally my opinion) I think they prefer lower alkalinity (7-8dkh).

HTH

Thanks Rehype for the input. Oddly enough whereas this morning they were kind of looking lackluster, right now they are expanded, but they are in full light and I think i am going to slowly move them towards a darker area, slowly not to shock them with a sudden change, and yes I have them in low flow areas.

Thanks for the suggestions and the dirty water is an interesting one. I know that some corals like turbid areas and water that is nutrient laden, and maybe indeed Yumas do too.

I appreciate the input and response.

Albert

Thanks Rehype for the input. Oddly enough whereas this morning they were kind of looking lackluster, right now they are expanded, but they are in full light and I think i am going to slowly move them towards a darker area, slowly not to shock them with a sudden change, and yes I have them in low flow areas.

Thanks for the suggestions and the dirty water is an interesting one. I know that some corals like turbid areas and water that is nutrient laden, and maybe indeed Yumas do too.

I appreciate the input and response.

Albert

Np albert glad i could provide some feedback. IME found yumas harder to keep than riccordea

Np albert glad i could provide some feedback. IME found yumas harder to keep than riccordea

Yes I have seen many posts that seem to feel the same way, although Ricordea florida can give one it's own challenges ...

Thanks Rehype

Nano sapiens
New FTS

7762477852_827b803eee_c.jpg

Really interesting shot and corals are looking 'mahvelous!

If you ever frag that Red Setosa...please let me know :)

Yes I have seen many posts that seem to feel the same way, although Ricordea florida can give one it's own challenges ...

Thanks Rehype

Very true...no problem albert

Tank is looking great hype!

And, nice composition on that shot.

Thanks asureef really look forward to seeing a updated FTS of your tank.

Really interesting shot and corals are looking 'mahvelous!

If you ever frag that Red Setosa...please let me know smile.gif

Thanks alot nano and will do.

hype im gonna need the full res version of that for my desktop :P

sure just pm me your email

Rehype, this is one of my favorite nano's I've ever seen! Do you have a current stock list for fish?

Thanks kfm

Pair of Picasso Clownfish

Blue eyed cardinals

Yellow melanarus wrasse

Good morning, how are you today? I was wondering if you have noticed or recorded any changes to your reef after the addition of the Co2 scrubber? I know your PH stabilized, but did it show a change one way or another to the reef? Better coral growth, better colors? better anything? No change?

I know you have a fuge, and people always say a reverse light cycle helps with PH swings, did yours not help that situation before the installation of the scrubber, or did you not have the reverse light cycle?

Thanks!

Good morning, how are you today? I was wondering if you have noticed or recorded any changes to your reef after the addition of the Co2 scrubber? I know your PH stabilized, but did it show a change one way or another to the reef? Better coral growth, better colors? better anything? No change?

I know you have a fuge, and people always say a reverse light cycle helps with PH swings, did yours not help that situation before the installation of the scrubber, or did you not have the reverse light cycle?

Thanks!

hey kat other than higher PH i cant say ive noticed a noticed a difference in my coral since adding the scrubber...they pretty much look the same to me. For me its more of an attempt to keep my parameters as close to natural seawater as possible.

Keeping my refugium on a reverse cycle never helped with my PH swings . You could see a slight bump in PH but the difference was negligible IME.I think you would have to run a very large refugium in order to see a noticeable jump in PH. I do run my fuge lights 24/7 and my mangroves have exploded with growth since doing so but again PH stays mostly unaffected. If you want stable PH throughout the day just keep some windows open.... That has given me the best and most consistent results (although its not always feasible)

HTH

hey kat other than higher PH i cant say ive noticed a noticed a difference in my coral since adding the scrubber...they pretty much look the same to me. For me its more of an attempt to keep my parameters as close to natural seawater as possible.

Keeping my refugium on a reverse cycle never helped with my PH swings . You could see a slight bump in PH but the difference was negligible IME.I think you would have to run a very large refugium in order to see a noticeable jump in PH. I do run my fuge lights 24/7 and my mangroves have exploded with growth since doing so but again PH stays mostly unaffected. If you want stable PH throughout the day just keep some windows open.... That has given me the best and most consistent results (although its not always feasible)

HTH

Thank you for the info. I don't have a PH swing issue, at least not one I have recorded. I don't have a PH probe on my Apex, and some say it is better not to chase the PH. Whenever I have tested it (which has not been very often) it has steadily shown 8.2 on the ultra reliable API test kit. I was looking into a CO2 scrubber discussion thread on here and there was all this discussion about coral growth with a stable PH and I thought you would be the best person to get the true picture from.

Thanks again.

That's a crazy FTS... your sig needs an update!

I was hoping for a FTS taken at the same angle to be able to compare the difference.

Thanks man will do. glad to see your still around

Thank you for the info. I don't have a PH swing issue, at least not one I have recorded. I don't have a PH probe on my Apex, and some say it is better not to chase the PH. Whenever I have tested it (which has not been very often) it has steadily shown 8.2 on the ultra reliable API test kit. I was looking into a CO2 scrubber discussion thread on here and there was all this discussion about coral growth with a stable PH and I thought you would be the best person to get the true picture from.

Thanks again.

Very true advice. My initial concern was with how low my ph dropped(all way down to 7.5) at night and after some investigating found out it was due to excess carbon dioxide in my apartment which depresses Ph. The co2 scrubber definitely helps but just keeping a few windows open works even better. And in terms of stimulating coral growth i just cant say ive noticed a real difference.

Archived