Coral Vue Hydros

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teaser...

As you can see it does not add any height. Very thin film. I should have a good amount of this very soon.

6332173252_7b759a3489.jpg

Side

6325394351_785a02ce98_b.jpg

I'll have some more videos soon.

-Dave

Could be a proprietary business secret. If I were in his place I'd be keeping the details to myself.

Dave already said he would give the details and pricing for DIY.....nothing really but different diffuser material at the end of the day.....nothing new was invented.

There is a lot of different diffuser films out there and some can be expensive... sounds like he choose an expensive one.

Even with that said.... I am still interested to see what Dave found as he puts a lot of effort into his products.

Teaser...

As you can see it does not add any height. Very thin film. I should have a good amount of this very soon.

I'll have some more videos soon.

-Dave

very interesting....how much (if any) loss of light transparency is there?

Deleted User 6
Dave already said he would give the details and pricing for DIY.....nothing really but different diffuser material at the end of the day.....nothing new was invented.

There is a lot of different diffuser films out there and some can be expensive... sounds like he choose an expensive one.

Even with that said.... I am still interested to see what Dave found as he puts a lot of effort into his products.

Dave's way nicer than me then, lol. I would imagine that there is a quality difference between the cheap and expensive diffuser materials. And Dave's products are nothing if they aren't high quality.

Deleted User 6

Mine? If not, you get them anyways.

The changes are incredible. I'm not just saying this because I like Dave. When I popped the fixture on my tank after the changes and plugged it in, it was like a totally different level of light fixture. The color blending was amazing, and the deep red and cool blue were bringing out colors I had never noticed before. Obviously time will tell how the changes affect things in the tank and how I customize the color to my liking, but my first gut response is that this light is a major contender in the market and I'm looking forward to what else Dave comes up with.

I should have some more pics after this weekend to show before/after.

Mine? If not, you get them anyways.

The changes are incredible. I'm not just saying this because I like Dave. When I popped the fixture on my tank after the changes and plugged it in, it was like a totally different level of light fixture. The color blending was amazing, and the deep red and cool blue were bringing out colors I had never noticed before. Obviously time will tell how the changes affect things in the tank and how I customize the color to my liking, but my first gut response is that this light is a major contender in the market and I'm looking forward to what else Dave comes up with.

I should have some more pics after this weekend to show before/after.

Awesome. I'm debating between adding some of the Ostram hyper reds to my LED fixture (14NW,28RB,4 CB over a 40 breeder) and adding a pair of T5s (a fiji purple and and a true actinic bulb). I haven't tried it yet to see if I'm happy as is, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I will have more info on it shortly. I have been extremely busy with NB and my day job. On top of that I am getting married next year.

I am going to be selling the stuff but not giving the info to where I get it from. It seriously took me a year to find something that was this good and did not diffuse the light to much. Not trying to be a jerk but they amount of research I have done for it has been exhausting.

The only problem for DIY people is that the rigs you guys build are so large that it will be extremely costly. I'll put it this way, 20x20" piece that I have is over $150 for me! Almost more than some peoples total build.

I hope to have some free time this weekend to do some comparing shots myself. PAR readings and a few other fun things. I have a 8' NB unit I am working on for a custom tank too but I try not to leave my favorite forum down!

-Dave

On top of that I am getting married next year.

Not trying to be a jerk but they amount of research I have done for it has been exhausting.

-Dave

Congrats.

Its all good.

While we've been talking about good color aethestics, lets' talk about some bad.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of fixtures like this popping up in Reef Stores and occasionally in this forum. Not sure who makes it, but it's pretty much the same fixture all over with a different label.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Coral-Ree...=item3f0bcd83cc

One thing it has in common; suckitude color that Beavis and Butthead could be hired as consultants to invent a new adjective for.

I've seen this fixture in the flesh at a few frag meets and recently saw it in a local reef shop over a diverse frag tank. I don't think I've ever see such rancid color from an LED fixture and want to thank the Chinese for setting the bar so low that CFLs look like an upgrade.

The light (all incarnations) uses blue LED's in the 460-465nm range, which puts them a bit closer to windex than royal. The whites are around 5500k with a CRI that can't be higher than 60. The color out-put is something like snorkeling in the Forida keys on an over-cast day after a hurricane. There's no color - at all, with all coral tissue rendering the same color as translucent silly putty. Maybe just a tad of actinic - the kind of actinic you see from really cheap generic PC's bought on close-out from a grocery cart at PetCo.

Visually I had no issues with the out-put of the light given it was plenty bright. However, after going home and looking at my neutral and royal based tank it was like somebody removed a brown paper sack from in front of my eyes.

It's a shame that with a change in LED colors that would require no additional costs to the unit I refer to it would likely be a nice unit that would be highly cost competitive with more expensive but less performing fixtures.

Otherwise, I woulnd't light a hamster cage with it let alone a reef tank.

Archived