Cultivated Reef

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

I will have it soon.

JF - It is like that but allows more shimmer. Looks great though! What are you using now? CW,NW,Cyan,420,Blue?

blaster - Its hard to see but it is only cut down ~40%. For me I like it because it is a mix with T5 and MH. To much shimmer looks gives me headaches! But it does an unreal job with mixing the colors.

in the video it is (built almost a year ago. Thread is around here somewhere and more info near the begining of this thread)

TV, RB, B, NW, CW

Now

TV, RB, B, NW, CW, HR

future...maybe this weekend since it is GOING TO $%^KING SNOW

TV, RB, B, C, NW, CW, HR

The first material I tried had more shimmer...but I have never been a fan of shimmer so I went for only a little shimmer. Hard to see in the video but if you look at the sand at the front of the tank you can see some.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in the video it is (built almost a year ago. Thread is around here somewhere and more info near the begining of this thread)

TV, RB, B, NW, CW

Now

TV, RB, B, NW, CW, HR

future...maybe this weekend since it is GOING TO $%^KING SNOW

TV, RB, B, C, NW, CW, HR

The first material I tried had more shimmer...but I have never been a fan of shimmer so I went for only a little shimmer. Hard to see in the video but if you look at the sand at the front of the tank you can see some.

What did you use to help blend the colors together more evenly and reduce shimmer?

BTW - You have a very nice tank...

blaster - Its hard to see but it is only cut down ~40%. For me I like it because it is a mix with T5 and MH. To much shimmer looks gives me headaches! But it does an unreal job with mixing the colors.

Reasonable trade-off. Curious to see what you have going.

What did you use to help blend the colors together more evenly and reduce shimmer?

BTW - You have a very nice tank...

diamond pattern difusser from the HD.

Different types take away more shimmer than others. I played with a few types and liked the diamond pattern the best....never been a shimmer fan plus I have lot of surface movement in my tank

I use my dremel to cut it

Thanks jfarabaugh.

I will have to try to find some. Our local Home Depot closed last year so I will need to find another source.

diamond pattern difusser from the HD.

Different types take away more shimmer than others. I played with a few types and liked the diamond pattern the best....never been a shimmer fan plus I have lot of surface movement in my tank

I use my dremel to cut it

Do you know which ones let in some shimmer?

I updated my setup this weekend adding red and green

1 660 R

2 green

4 B

6 TV

12 RB

12 NW

5 CW

I feel it is impossible to capture the difference via pictures of the addition of the red and green but I do notice a difference. My wife put it best when she said it is my crisp.

I will capture a new video soon.

Pictures will be posted soon ;)

JF - Cool stuff. Pictures and LED's are extremely hard to capture. I'm hoping one day a photographer genius will find out how to!

-Dave

Digital cameras use RGB sensors, and these sensors have very distinct wavelength cut-offs. LED color spikes that don't align with these filter cut-offs simply don't record very well in camera and look different to our eyes.

If you have a DSLR with a White balance that you can adjust manually (the 50D for instance) crank it up as high as it will go(10000k on the 50D). Shoot in RAW. It will still turn out very purple. You can then take it into a photo editing program (lightroom is the best for this but photoshop also works) and add more yellow to the image in the white balance adjustment, and then adjust the green/magenta as needed. As long as you shoot in RAW and the exposure is good, which is usually a little under 0, the ONLY adjustment you need to make are in WHITE BALANCE.

Deleted User 6

JF - Cool stuff. Pictures and LED's are extremely hard to capture. I'm hoping one day a photographer genius will find out how to!

-Dave

is that a challenge?

Here's the before w/ just royal blues and whites:

i-PXs6gd3-L.jpg

Is there anyone nice enough here that would email me a LED lite tank full picture in the raw format. I have this nifty photo editing program and would like to try it out. Ofcourse I would do my own tank but it is still in pieces and not put together yet.

-Dave

looking forward to seeing your diffuser dave, how much longer?

Has anyone ever tried using obscure glass as a splash guard and light diffuser for an LED fixture? I'm not happy with the acrylic light diffuser, it looks like sin and breaks too easily. Something like this might work well and wouldn't block as much light as the acrylic:

http://www.tglass.com/aquatex_glass.htm

interesting. I might have to look at that when I update my build during the winter months. Looks like it wont be as much of a par hit as my current diffuser is.

Just got everything in but I have been swamped with making people fixtures. Pictures soon guys. The stuff is not cheap. For my units it is not as bad but a DIY build could get costly. Around $3 per square inch.

-Dave

Archived