ReefCleaners.org

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

No because you would be giving the spectrum too much of a scoop in the warmer range. You might just try replacing some neutral with cool, but i think the red is used just to pop color a little more and not necessarily change the whole feel of the spectrum.

Right, i like the look of the cool white/royal blue's, i just want to pop the colors of the reds and yellows a little more on the corals. The NW/RB combo is more purple depending on how warm the NW are. You guys like the purple?

I thought we were trying to make the color more like a combo of high end 14k Metal Halide with Nice T-5 supplementation....

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I'm going to try Daves 13 LED combo. I have 24"x20"x18" tank. I guess I will need 2 banks of this combo. I have 3 questions:

1) Do i put the 13 leds on the heat sink as close together as I can?

2) Do I need separate channels to control the colours? I'd really like to just use 1 driver and run 2 parallel strings at 650mA and use the dimmer to control intensity.

3) Optics on the whites & royal blues? any suggestions

Thanks

I just got one of Dave's 12 inch 26 LED's with the diffuser material, and all I can say is that it is awesome! I will try to post pics as soon as I can find my camera, even though I know LED's do not photograph well. It has the perfect amount of shimmer for me, without any of the color issues I had read about. The 2 extra red LED's really do give a nice look.

Pete

Deleted User 6
DHaut--whatcha ya think of the deep red? Like ev'ryun knows pichurs dont really mean squat when it comes to LEDs

Seems like it gives off a weird blending (like most red setups), any truth to this? Would you recomend including it? (you have it on a separate dimmer right?)

I like it. And my pics actually do mean squat. They are pretty damn close to what my tank actually looks like. It's on the same dimmer as the whites.

Mr. Microscope

I just finished my build today. I gotta say I'm extremely happy!

2x 660Red, 4x TV, 4x CB, 8x RB, 4x CW, 6x NW

LEDs01.jpg

I'm running them all at equal drive currents and the color is awesome. Nothing is washed out, there is a very nice daylight appearance without looking yellow or purple. I'll post pics of the corals later.

Deleted User 6
Are these pics with the lights turned up to max?

No, not even close. They're probably running at about 1/4 power. I've slowly been increasing, but my tiny pico can only take so much.

I see alot about the color, but not much on spacing of the leds. I'm planning to put a 36 led kit into the canopy of a red sea max 130. The display is about 15x23, 18" deep. I can fit a 5x20 heat sink without cutting up the top. The leds will be about 3" off the water. If I spread them out in 3 rows of 12 there would be about a inch between them, would that be too far apart for the colors to blend ? I could cluster them all towards the center, would that light the tank properly ? Or maybe 3 clusters of 12 ? Thanks

I dont have water yet but this rapidled par38 bulb looks awesome.

3 Royal Blue, 1 Blue, 2 Cool White and 1 Warm White CREE XR-E LEDs 80 deg optics

bf64cf35.jpg

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

So we just got some test samples in for the 495nm Turquoise LEDs we are carrying here:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-leds/

When you mix these with the 660nm Deep red while there is 455nm Royal Blue in the fixture, the light is basically white (The 3 different color LEDs need to be side by side - clustered).

How does that help? well... What ends up happening is the reds/orange/purples really pop (which would be out poped by the other colors in a normal neutral white and royal blue combo) and you dont get a "dark" tank.

Thoughts?

So we just got some test samples in for the 495nm Turquoise LEDs we are carrying here:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/exotic-leds/

When you mix these with the 660nm Deep red while there is 455nm Royal Blue in the fixture, the light is basically white (The 3 different color LEDs need to be side by side - clustered).

How does that help? well... What ends up happening is the reds/orange/purples really pop (which would be out poped by the other colors in a normal neutral white and royal blue combo) and you dont get a "dark" tank.

Thoughts?

Do you have any pics?

My DIY housing has 2 dimmable channels, one with 3 NW and the other 6 RB and I'm not 100% happy with the look. I have infinite ability to adjust but I can't seem to get it to a point the looks right/natural and it always seems a bit dark.

I'd like to either add LEDs to my white channel or add a new channel with a few LEDs. I'd love some advice on what to do. Add a could CW to the existing channel? New channel with a 660nm Red and a couple Turquoise?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Do you have any pics?

Ill try to get some pics of the color difference when mixing the LEDs

Why not just get a specific binning of cyan?

-Dave

I tried it with a different cyans and I couldn't get the same effect.

What ended up happening on the Turquoise is one of our customers that has a PHD in optical materials engineering and bio chemistry suggested to me and at first I didnt think much of it and just kept it on my radar. Because of the wavelength of the 660nm + 445nm you need almost a green LED to get the white effect but the green LED was a bit too much. The turquoise is just enough to turn it all white and still get your reds/oranges to pop similar to the Cyans. With the Cyans it just looked like a blue/dark white rather than white.

The tank I put it over (I just added one Turquoise) really striked me that it turned white right away.

Dave shoot me an email ill send you a pair to test out.

I just built my 16 LED bridgelux array (royals and 10k whites)

CameraZOOM-20111130204716.jpg

It looked horrible - proper disco ball color separation nasty. So I've stripped it apart and trying a new layout.

CameraZOOM-20111202195842-1-1.jpg

What do you guys that know about this stuff think? Spacing is about 2" from diode to diode.

The light is going over a 38cm x 25cm Nano that is 30cm deep. The fitting will be about 4" from the surface. Would be nice to get this right before I glue them all down and solder again!

Archived