ReefCleaners.org

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

I just built my 16 LED bridgelux array (royals and 10k whites)

CameraZOOM-20111130204716.jpg

It looked horrible - proper disco ball color separation nasty. So I've stripped it apart and trying a new layout.

CameraZOOM-20111202195842-1-1.jpg

What do you guys that know about this stuff think? Spacing is about 2" from diode to diode.

The light is going over a 38cm x 25cm Nano that is 30cm deep. The fitting will be about 4" from the surface. Would be nice to get this right before I glue them all down and solder again!

Your second pattern will give you a better look hands down - It looks on your initial layout as if you have a pretty big gap all the way around there... .

Are you running any optics on these as well? could be choice of optics that causes that look too if your too focused on an area not spread enough.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no optics at the moment but i have a set of 60 degrees that i'm not using.

Do you think the new layout is tight enough or could i go closer? I want to be able to have a go at keeping sps under them.

My DIY housing has 2 dimmable channels, one with 3 NW and the other 6 RB and I'm not 100% happy with the look. I have infinite ability to adjust but I can't seem to get it to a point the looks right/natural and it always seems a bit dark.

I'd like to either add LEDs to my white channel or add a new channel with a few LEDs. I'd love some advice on what to do. Add a could CW to the existing channel? New channel with a 660nm Red and a couple Turquoise?

Add some CW to the NW channel. Don't make the CW/NW ratio higher than 1:1. though. Also, for each CW you could add a single RB to match it. If you added another channel, do maybe 2 or 3 660nm red.

I tried it with a different cyans and I couldn't get the same effect.

Once you get into that 475-500nm band things get really sensitive and tricky to balance, so this is no surprise. I should have my 455-465 mix up when I get the LED's, and while optimistic I'm still a bit freaked out if things go wrong.

Don't learn unless you experiment though.

what about this layout - colours alternate.

CameraZOOM-20111202221539.jpg

based on the Vertex Illumina lights.

This is the one. Lovely colour blending and great intensity. I actually moved the 2 rows together so all the LEDs tessellate. Really happy with my colour and lighting aesthetic now.

Milad,

Are you using the same number of Turquoise and Deep Red and driving them at the same level, i.e. putting them on the same independent channel? Thanks!

- M

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Milad,

Are you using the same number of Turquoise and Deep Red and driving them at the same level, i.e. putting them on the same independent channel? Thanks!

- M

The white i got was testing, 1:1:1 royal blue to deep reed to Turquoise all at the same power.

The one thats over the tank was 7 royal blue, 4 neutral white, 1 deep reed. I changed it to 6 Royal Blue, 4 neutral white, 1 deep red, 1 turquoise and the tank got whiter (still not as white as i would prefer). I might try almost a 1:1:1 over the tank to see what happens.

I hate to barge in with my own setup questions, but since I just today have actually registered an account I can't start a thread.

I can never decide what to get for Christmas and my mom hates giving cash and gift cards so I had her order me a cheap led kit. I sent her to Aquastyle for one of their kits and also got some extra colors thrown in. I have had plans for a cree setup, so I'll use this kit to learn and build my cree kit later.

The colors I have to work with are as follows....all are bridgelux leds I believe

18 - white(10k) - I'm very skeptical of these

14 - blue

2 - red

2 - uv

4- white(4500k)

4- white(6500k)

This light is for a 28g tank so I don't need all these leds. I'm considering a mix with only the lower kelvin whites, but what type of ratio should I use? This whole thread, which I've read every page, is mostly about cree stuff so I don't know anything about these bridgelux leds. I'm considering using the 10k's for another light on my freshwater tank.

Thanks for any advice.

Looks good. Just leave optics off the blue LEDs. You want those to blend more than penetrate. They are just for color.

365nm shouldn't sterilize. You need to be down way below 300nm for it to be bacteriacidal. Don't forget, 365nm is one of the peaks for mercury, which is used in most of our MH, T5, and PC lamps.

I was just going to ask Evil - is there even a company out there that makes an LED with a small enough wavelength to be bacteriacidal? I'd love to see a UV sterilizer using LED.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Here is a follow up on LEDGroupBuy Exotic LED line up.

I tried my best to get a good shot of the color but im no photographer! These are straight from the camera, no editing (other than cropping).

455nm (Royal Blue) + 495nm (Turquoise)

455-495.JPG

455nm (Royal Blue) + 660nm (Deep Red)

455-660.JPG.

495nm (Turquoise) + 660nm (Deep Red)

495-660.JPG

455nm (Royal Blue) + 495nm (Turquoise) + 660nm (Deep Red)

455-495-660.JPG

The 455nm + 495nm + 660nm looks purple/pink but its actually white when you are looking at it in person. The 495nm + 660nm looks white in the picture but its more yellow in person.

On the 3 color one, the top left corner is what it looks like in person, the white little area

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Those looks good - how far away were you? from your wall and optics? j/w trying to get a good one of my new kit -

60 degree optics (they come built in on the LEDs), about 24inches from the wall.

60 degree optics (they come built in on the LEDs), about 24inches from the wall.

will you ever be doing 120 degree optics? for these colours you usually have very few on an led build so you would want a wider coverage.

20W $.99? I dont get it

Starting bid.

Even if they were free, I wouldn't use them. Inefficient, sucky color, unknown color mix, etc. We've had had plenty of threads bashing the cheap Chinese arrays. Let's not corrupt this one please.

455nm (Royal Blue) + 495nm (Turquoise) + 660nm (Deep Red)

Any chance you'll branch out from the 1NW + 2RB "3-UP" and make ones with this ^ color combo too?

Also- have you tried using this new color mix with any CW or NW to see if the "pop" they provide gets washed out at all?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hey Milad, just for clarity's sake, are you suggesting this combo could be a replacement for the standard 2:1 RB:NW or something that one might add as an addition to it?

My suggestoin would be a "Addon" if you feel you are missing some colors. Im going to do a large build using this setup and see what happens..... R&D = Fun times

Any chance you'll branch out from the 1NW + 2RB "3-UP" and make ones with this ^ color combo too?

Also- have you tried using this new color mix with any CW or NW to see if the "pop" they provide gets washed out at all?

We are looking into having a 3UP Exotic colors. No ETA.

I was thinking the same thing on the CW, I havent had a chance to test this out but maybe using these could allow us to go back to using CW instead of NW.

Not a shadow in town.

Shadows look clean. Guessing shimmer won't cause any problems.

Looking at your video it looks like the diffusion material is the same type of high tech acrylic that's used to emulate frosted glass. Rather than opaque like milk plexi, and hence eats light like a black hole, it's textured to a various degree on one or both sides scattering light randomly. I would guess this is the single sided version.

Dave,

Just saw your nano box teaser on Facebook (yes, that makes all 1 view on youtube, me). Anyone who wants to see the most insane teaser of any LED coming to the market-

Archived